Dogomania

HELP! ANYONE! BEN'S SICK!

Ben has been throwing up 3 times allredy today. He's not a morningperson either (like me) so he woke up somewhere around 11 AM and threw up the first time. I didn't really get so consurned, because it's not the first time ever he's thrown up and I figured it must be just some dust or something that has tickled his throat and made him vomit. So then I had to go to the library (around 12) and came home at 1 PM. He threw up again a little while ago (it's soon 3PM here), but this time twice in a row (a couple minutes in between).
He has been out to do his thing, and pooped twice, but the poo was really hard and he had a hard time tryeing to get it out.
Now he's really scared and doesn't feel safe at all. He just wants sleep in your lap. Right now my mom went to take a nap and Ben came under her blanket and I came here.
I gave him water after I came from the library, but that came up too.
What should I do? I took away his foodbowls (in one he has porridge and in the other one he has new dry food (Pedigree)) that his stomache can rest for a while, but right now I'm clueless to what to do next.

Poor baby, I feel so bad for him! :cry: Could someone help me help him? Please? :cry:

/Crest

K: He hasn't eaten anything he's not supposed to eat. Atleast none that I know of. That was the first thing I asked my mum too.
I did leave the water for him. I've heard that it's a good idea to put sugar in the water when a dog is vomiting, because it gives him energy or something like that. Is this true?
I decided that if he throws up again, I'll call the vet, but I'd hope that I could fix this problem myself, because it's allways such a pain to call the vet. We don't have an animal hospital here, just vets here and there. One can be sick, one can be on holiday, one can be on another of thoose veterinary courses and one can be takeing care of a sick cow or something... It's call here, call there, call to that other place, call back to the first one, try the third one... I hate it!! That's why I'm not so fond of takeing Ben to the vet's.

It's just too bad that we will miss the first day of dogschool (obedience training, but not of any other reason then to get Ben even more comfortable around other dogs). But I'm not going to take a vometing dog to dogschool!! I'm not THAT mad yet!

/Crest

He threw up again just now, but he couldn't get anything out. How could he? He allredy threw up everything he had in his stomache!

I reached the vet and I'm going there with Ben in three hours.
I'm really consurned now. I thought vometing 3 times was bad enough, but he threw up four times and tried to throw up two more times after that without anything coming out. Poor baby. Now he's really tired and really scared! I would have gone to the vet right away, but dad's at work and he's the only one in my family with a drivers licence!

/Crest

Thanks you guys. I'll be on my way in 15 minutes. I gave him a bit (about 5ml) sugarwater and that has stayed down. It gave him a tiny bit energy for a couple minutes, but he's still really down.
Mom gave him a icecream bowl to lick as before, but Ben just licked it once and let it be. He's NEVER done that no matter how sick he has been! He didn't even do that when he was neuterd!!

/Crest

Ok. We were to the vet. She didn't know exacly what's wrong with him, but said that he has probabely smelled on another dogs poo that has had somekind of bacteria in it and that's what's made Ben sick. He hasn't thrown up after the fourth time wich is good.
The vet gave me some kind of pulver to put in water and give to him. If he doesn't drink, then give 10ml to him every half an hour. I KNOW he won't drink, because it's a thing that comes along with the breed. A Chinese Crested doesn't drink that much at all. He can be up to over a week without a drop of water! So I gave Ben 10ml just now. Another 10 in 30 minutes.
He cried all the way to the vet and slept all the way back. Poor little thing.
I hope he'll be allright now after today and I really hope he doesn't throw this thing out... It's nutrition for him, because as you well can understand he can't eat food today. The vet said that he can try to eat some soft food tomorrow if he gets better.
I feel so sorry for him! :cry: But I guess there's nothing more to do then to give him that water thingy and wait.

/Crest

My dogs have all had bouts of vomiting.

My vets always told me to take away the food and only give the dogs ice cubes. When dogs are vomiting, they will gourge themselves on water which in turn makes them sick again because they are drinking to fast.

The food is taken away usually for 24 hours and then I give the dogs special food. I boil some enriched rice and boil some chicken. I will cut up the chicken and put it in the rice (I boil enough for a weeks worth). I will give the dogs a small portion to see if they keep it down. If they are able to keep it down I will give them just a little more. I usually feed this diet for 2 days and then I slowly add back in the dry food. When a dog's stomach is upset, you need to feed a bland diet and wet food is not bland. I have one dog that will get sick when given any wet food.

I am wondering about the fact that you said you started Ben on a new food, pedigree. How long ago did you switch foods? If it has only been a couple weeks, I would definitely keep an eye on him. The new food may not agree with Ben and you may have to switch again. Just make sure to switch slowly.

Hope Ben is feeling better...

Foster: Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately I don't have any chicken at home and the shop's allredy closed (9PM here). Do you think you could use something else besides chicken?
The Pedigree food is just ordinary dry chicken & rice Pedigree food from the market. I thought I'd try it out when I've tried pretty much every brand of dog foods with Ben from the petshop and Ben hasn't ever got any allergic reactions of Pedigrees treats etc. It's worked really well, he hasn't scratched his skin around his throat or anything like that at all!
I started giving that to him on Easter (Long Friday). So it's been a little while...

Mei-Mei: It's so sweet of you to worry of Ben with your own problems. Ben is doing pretty well, he's a little more energic then a few hours ago and he hasn't thrown up anymore. He's still tired and doens't want to be alone. I guess he doesn't still feel safe.
The first time he vomited, he paniked and started running around the house with his tail between his legs. :(

/Crest

Crested, you can also boil some hamburger meat. Anything that will be easy on the tummy, that is nothing with spices or added flavors.

Just make sure that it is cooked fully.

After he recovers from this, and if it happens again, I would switch his food. One of my dogs had these vomiting episodes every couple months and once I switched foods, it stopped.

These darn dogs forever get into something and have to make us worry...

You know dogs can have tums, mylanta, kaopectate, etc...sometimes that helps the upset tummy. If you give it to Ben, I would only give him a itty bitty bit, like 1/2 a teaspoon. It is sad to say that my dogs love tums and they love cherry flavored kids kaopectate....they think it is a treat--the silly dogs.

Foster: Thanks again for the tips. :) It has helped a lot! The poor baby is so hungry right now, but I'll still keep an eye on him untill tomorrow. I probabely have to wait untill dad comes home from work to get some meat or something to put in the rice, but I guess it gives me a good chance to take a good look at him if he's up for some real food.
It's just my concionce that drives me mad when Ben looks at me with thoose big brown eyes of his when ever I take something to eat! :cry:
Is there any cure for THAT??

/Crest

If my dogs have a upset tummy I always feed them plain brown rice with plain cottage cheese, this is very bland and easy on their tummies. I blot the cottage cheese first in kitchen roll to get rid of any moisture.

The dogs love it and it's always worked for me.

Good Luck, hope he's feeling better. :D

Marion: Darn... In that case I have to wait... When I went to the library yesterday I wore my old tennis shoes and socks and the two of them didn't match, so I have this big round thing full of water now on the back of my foot and it hurts like h***! Guess how much it would hurt if I put a shoe on!! So I can't go myself to the store and get some chicken or cottage cheese or anything! :mad: Hopefully Ben can do with the water thingy for six more hours.
I did give him one treat today to see if he can keep it in. Just as a test and just one and nothing more.
Do you think I could use just rice and nothing else, because that's the only thing I do have at home?

/Crest

I gave him a little porridge wich I put a lot of water in and made so fine it was more like water... Kind of... And just 2 teaspoons of the porridge, rest of it just water. He ate it like he's never seen food and it hasn't come up yet. In a couple hours I'll give him another 2 teaspoons with water and hopefully it too won't come up. :)
The porridge is very, VERY soft and should be really easy to digest.

/Crest

Marion: He's doing pretty well. I've given him food three times now (each time about 2 teaspoons of porridge blended with a LOT of water) and nothing has come up. He's just tired right now, but really hungry! He eats the porridge like he's never seen food before!! And he has started to play and run around the house allredy, but he is still a bit more tired then normally.

/Crest

Oh BRILLIANT :D :D :D :D :D :D

It looks like he's on the mend, maybe he did pick something up whilst out on walkies. I know mine have done in the past and been sick.

:lol: KEEP EATING BEN :lol:

:x AND BEN, KEEP IT DOWN :x