Dogomania

My local dog park is being overrun!

slim86

Meehs - I made that comment tongue in cheeck. Of course I know better.

I dont understand why it is so hard for people to think about this with common sense and stop being so picky. I can't word everything the way you want to hear it. People are reading way to much into a lot of the comments.

Oh and I cleverly make my comments in color so you dont have to re read anything.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drama Queen, huh

I'm not even female and I don't make things up in my head.

Honestly, I think it's funny when another dog is showing dominance on my 6 mo. old GSD and the're roughing him up a bit. I.E. shoving him to the ground over and over again, trying to mount him and just plain being rough (no teeth/biting involved). He'll just get up and try to play some more and get shoved to the ground again. I let my dog get bullyed by other dogs because I think it's good for him. It showes him "where the bear s--t's", to put it bluntly. I also find it a little entertaining. All at my puppys expense. This is what the boxer was doing to my dog so I wasn't worried about him. I'm always right there with my dog, mind you. I don't baby my dog so don't give the the drama queen nonsense. What happened, happened.

Most people here seem to agree with me to an extent. Even pit bull owners. Some say most pit bulls should not be at dog parks off leash. Some say the shoud be there on leash. Some say the should not be there at all. Some say they should not be there. Everyone seemes to think I have a legit gripe. You, on the other hand seem to think I'm totaly off base and ignorant. That's the reason for my last post.

"this ain't about you anymore. my post about you was to someone else EXPLAINING why I felt the way I felt.

You just contradicted yourself. Didn't you? Ain't about you.... my post about you... Also, calling me a "drama queen", isn't supposed to be about me, either. Is it?

Slim

K - I am done now.

RnP - Very good. I am glad you are active and doing the right things. My dog is definitely not snarling at the end of the leash. To the contrary, she is actually very shy and submissive, and extremely well behaved. That was a comment that had no basis and was simply a personal attack.

So you know about Pits and I know about the other dogs. What set me off on this topic was that as soon as a post is made about pits, a pit owner always (yes always) starts making excuses for the dog, crying bad owner syndrome, and blaming the victim. That unfortunatly helps no one.

I believe that the reason slims post read like it did is because she/he (sorry I dont want to assume) was upset that her dog was attacked. How hard is it to have a little sympathy, understanding? I found it amazing that when I read it I got something completely different out of it than did the pit owners.

Guest Anonymous

It is so much easier to meet bad owners that good ones. When i talk to someone and they know about the breeds history i am shocked. its sad how little people know about these dogs yet everyone wants to offer advise. i went to petco and was just kind lookinga round and got the 2200 PSI bite pressure thing :roll: i dont think there is abreed of dog alive that has more misrepresentation that a pit bull. there are som many lies that are told to make money and are then used to hold them down.

it wasnt a personal attack i am not talking about your dogs, if you had a pit bull and never socialized it around other dogs that is exactly what you would have a lunger, that was vicious. you have to let a dog experience and tbe there to direct to train, you cant just assume your dog will bite and not even train it to act appropriately.

I have never ever said that i dont know bad pit owners i just do my best to convert the ones that i do meet.
:black:

Of course wew have common sense. I'm trying to look at this as objectively as possible but when someone makes a comment like that I simply have to respond!

Tongue-in-cheek? I guess all I can say is that maybe you shouldn't make comments that denounce an entire group of dog owners even if it is "tongue-in-cheek". There are bound to be people that are offended by it. It would be no differnet than me making the "tongue-in-cheek" comment that all GSD owners are ignorant. Seriously, c'mon!

I certainly don't want to attack you personally Mary's Mom, I've found your posts to be quite accurate and informative for the most part. Even if they are a bit long due to the extra content. :D Actually making the text for your responses a different color does make them easy enough to follow.

Guest Anonymous

Side note- this is not just a pit bull topic. this is a dog aggression in a dog park topic you just keep bringing it directly to pit bulls. ayn breed of dog can do the same thing and should evoke the same reaction of public outcry but does it?

Very good point Rott. Why is it that when a Pitt Bites someone it's on the local news? But if an Australian sheapard bit someone no one would care? This goes for Dobermans, and rottwhilers (sp?) to just name a few. A bite is a bite and agression is agression no matter what you say. Yes a pitt will do more damage than a miniture poodle would, but isn't it still a bite? I have seen many "good dogs" or "family friendly" dogs be very agressive towars people and other dogs. I've seen an Astrailian cattle dog try to attack dogs that were twice it's size but then I've seen a Pitt that did play bows and roll on it's back in submission.

But more to the point why does society say it's ok for some breeds to be agressive and other it is not ok?

[quote name='slim86']Drama Queen, huh

I'm not even female and I don't make things up in my head.
> ya don't have to be female to be a drama queen. How do I know anything about you? on your 10th post it started this. how do I know your a really concerned owner who was involved in a situation like you described? I DON'T. what you said didn't make sense to me. I've already cited the reasons.

Honestly, I think it's funny when another dog is showing dominance on my 6 mo. old GSD and the're roughing him up a bit. I.E. shoving him to the ground over and over again, trying to mount him and just plain being rough (no teeth/biting involved). He'll just get up and try to play some more and get shoved to the ground again. I let my dog get bullyed by other dogs because I think it's good for him. It showes him "where the bear s--t's", to put it bluntly. I also find it a little entertaining. All at my puppys expense. This is what the boxer was doing to my dog so I wasn't worried about him. I'm always right there with my dog, mind you. I don't baby my dog so don't give the the drama queen nonsense. What happened, happened. > I can neither confirm nor deneigh this but that's not importent at this point.

Most people here seem to agree with me to an extent. Even pit bull owners. Some say most pit bulls should not be at dog parks off leash. Some say the shoud be there on leash. Some say the should not be there at all. Some say they should not be there. Everyone seemes to think I have a legit gripe. You, on the other hand seem to think I'm totaly off base and ignorant. That's the reason for my last post.
> no i don't think your totally off base. I just think you have to be right and can't handle people telling you otherwise with out you being condesending. much like the way you treated me. but you could have explained your problem at the dog park with out being overly emotional and shouting every APBT and owner in your park was out of control. You didn't even ask a question. IMO you weren't looking for information on dog aggession, you were just bashing the pit bulls you had a bad day with.

"this ain't about you anymore. my post about you was to someone else EXPLAINING why I felt the way I felt. > does everything have to be about you? we've moved on to a general discussion about dog agression and dog parks. not the bashing you originally started.

You just contradicted yourself. Didn't you? > not one bit.

Ain't about you.... my post about you... Also, calling me a "drama queen", isn't supposed to be about me, either. Is it? > no that was about you completely. don't expect to treat me like an idiot an get off with it. just by your post where you were molly coddeling me mademe come to the conclusion about that. you didn't explain the situation futher just started saying "ok, bullygirl your right, i'm wrong, my puppy deserved to be attacked." and I read a note of pompousness in it. which honestly that's what you wanted to ruffle my feathers, raise my hackles a bit if you will because i wasn't sensitive to your problem. If that's how it all started i'll say i'm sorry i'm not sensitive just PM me. It's just not in MY nature to except everything I see, read or hear.

Slim[/quote]

As I said before, its all about knowing your dogs limits.
The owner of the Boxer was just as much at fault as the owner of the pits, just because she didn't own a renowned "aggressive" breed doesn't mean responsibility should be taken off her hands to make sure her dog was under control. Surely she knew her dog may attack another dog under certain circumstances, so why wasn't she keeping a close eye on it? It sounds to me that the boxer saw an opportunity to take advantage of this situation where a pup was being pursued by two other dogs to run up and attack the under dog. Now everyone here knows how much I love Boxers, but I also realize they they aren't always little angels, the same goes for ANY breed. Those pits, by the sound of it, weren't even chasing with aggressive intentions, they were simply chasing because the puppy was running, had the pup not run the situation probably never would have happend. The fact that the Boxer was "covering" the GSD and didn't leave a good bite doesn't mean it wasn't just as much a part as the pits, all it means is that it didn't get a proper grip.
This isn't about the breeds, its about the owners, it could have been any breed in that fight, it was the owners responsibility to remember their dogs limits.
Please guys, lets not get into a debate because some stupid owners weren't responsible for their dogs. We all have our oppinions about different breeds etc, but I think enough has been said on the breed thing, everyones put in their two cents and I think we should just agree to disagree and stop being so petty about it all!
So I'm calling for a truce.... whos in?

:peace: I've said my peace, I'm down with the old agree to disagree. Although I am proud that the Mods didn't shut us down in the thread. I think this was the first time i've never seen them get involved in a heated discussion. well except K...but even then she was just checking up like she would. :lol:

Guest Anonymous

i must agree it was a very nice discussion. got the blood pumping and the brain moving and a good change from the norm. it sucked that i was at work during most of it so i had to stop reading, work, start writing, work, finich writing, work, send it, work, over the course of that there are three responses that i missed, then i read the posts, and then re-write. my head was spinning :errrr:

Guest Anonymous

IMO any owner of an APBT or any curr mix is a complete idiot if they take their dog to the dog park. A dog with even a little bit of APBT in it has the potential to fight with another dog. They always have the chance of being dog aggressive. Why chance it?! You will end up killing someone elses dog! I mean come on...
I wouldnt be near as worried if a boxer grabbed one of my dogs than an APBT. Bulldogs can do SO much damage in a very short amount of time as well as being hard to break, especially for unexperienced folks. And it isnt easy for those of us with experience AND I doubt the other dog owner will have a clue on how to help seperate the dogs.
Stop taking the ignorant chances of having more statistics build up against the breed. I guarantee if you do take your APBT top the dog park the humaniacs LOVE you. You are helping them much more than you are helping the breed.

michele,
i don't agree with hmm's comment that no pit bull should be brought to a dog park. it is however not a place for most pits. if your dog has dog aggressive tendencies, which most abpt's do, no amount of training to going to reverse that. you may be able to control the aggression to an extent, but you can't train it out. there may be some pit bulls who seem to show no aggression at all, but they unfortunately are the exception.

Guest Anonymous

I take direct and personal offence to that statement, i am far from an idiot. Any dog has the potential to fight, with a APBT its much higher, and we know the emense power and determination of the breed. but the pleasing nature of these dogs is not o be ignored either. They will do anything to please thier owner. I know that at some time my dog is going to show his fighting roots. That is a given the only question is when. If it happens when we are on a walk or when we are in the park or when we are at a friends house. some time my dog is going to get dog aggressive an i am ready for it. I am not going to the dog park because i like it there(well maybe a little), more over my dog is a sociable littl mutt he likes to meet other dogs he whines to say hello when we see dogs on walk so i decided to give it a try. He absolutely loves to go there he whines when we pull into the lot. and as long as behaves properly on visits i will continue to take him. but the first sign of aggression, where ever it may happen. then its over, i know he is now coming into his own and the visits stop instantly. I dont think that its fair to deny your dog the companionship of other dogs before you know that they will have an adverse reaction to them. dogs are pack animals and from birth they are in a pack environment, they enjoy the company of other dogs. they like to run and sniff and roll and play. so why not let them if thats what they are doing?

OK, I've just read through this entire thread and I figure that I'll toss my two cents in.

Teaching classes as I do I'm very aware that most of the public hasn't got a clue as to how to read their dog's behavior and head off a problem before it starts. And just consider....I'm teaching folks who were at least motivated enough to come to a class!<G>

I've thought dog parks were a terrible idea for as long as I've known about them. How do you know the level of control an owner can and will exercise over his/her dog? How do you know if the owner can "read" his/her dog? How do you know if the dog's vaccinations are up to date? How do you know if the dog has a communicable disease? How do you know if the dog has parasites? How do you know if the dog has "issues" with something that would seem innocuous to you? How do you know that if two or more other dogs decided to "start something" they wouldn't carry the fight to your dog?

I regard dog parks as accidents waitng to happen. My dogs mean more to me than that. Yes, they are confident and controled but I see no reason to put them in any situation where there are too many variables outside my control. It's just plain foolhardy.

Guest Anonymous

Point taken. however i think too that it will depend on your area and the park size. I know most of the people at the dog park and even through all of the sogs i have had most of the same people still frequent it. I guess i am guilty of assuming too. :oops:

Guest Anonymous

You dont have to agree with me, BUT I know about APBTs and I know what can happen. Why take the chance of it happening?!!! I have a champion dog that I can allow to roam around my other dogs and she wont mess with them BUT, I would NEVER take her to the dog park because there is a chance she could attack someone elses dog. Not only would she hurt their dog but I would lose mine which is not a chance I am willing to take. You can take the chance if you want. If your dog decides to attack another dog do you really think you will have time to react? Why put others dogs in danger. I know APBTs are willing to please their owner but you cant say "Okay, baby, Im gonna take you to the park. Dont hurt the other dogs." And if they do grab another dog do you think they will release just because you told him too? If you think he will you are in for a BIG suprise! Dog aggression is natural in APBTs and even if they dont show it all the time there is the chance for it to happen. You may know how to break the dog off another but do you really want to have to do that. How do you think the otherdogs owner will feel about it. Oh, wait, I guess Slim told us all how he felt, which he has every right to feel.
I may match my dogs but I can guarantee my dogs will never hurt one of your dogs, because I will never give him even the remotest chance to do so. So you can say I am irresponsible with my dogs because of what I do with them but you will never be able to say one of my dogs attacked one of yours.
Rott, I didnt mean to imply you are an idiot. Apologize. You say you know it will happen but still allow your dog to play with other dogs!!? What are you going to do if it happens at the dog park? Ooppps, sorry, I didnt think he was ready to be aggressive towards other dogs. Im soo sorry he attacked your dog. Please forgive me.????? Why are you waiting for it to happen?

Guest Anonymous

I understand what your saying, i do and i know where you are coming from. but it doesnt juststify to me that just because of his breed that my dog should be isolated from what gives him joy. I dont feel as though anyones dog is at risk at this time as he is a PUPPY. P U P P Y. BABY not even lifting his leg to pee yet. he is my buddy and i love him dearly but he is the biggest wuss. he is scared to death of the neighbors cat. I have told him countless times how bad that sounds. He also runs from the trashcan and he for some reason really hates the waterhose. but the one thing he loves and runs to butt going 40 wps(wags per second) is other puppies. he thrives on contact from people and dogs. He has never even barked at another dog before, actually come to think of it i have only heard him make an audible sound other than whining 4 times in the entire time i have had him. Its a blessing that he is so quiet, for a while i didnt know if he could bark then he barked at my girlfriend one night at home.

I know the plight and the hype around my breed, and i am doing what i can to change the way people feel about them. I am waiting for this magical switch in his personality, its not like im waiting for him to latch onto another dog, the slightest change in his demeanor is enough for me. I am far from irresponsible and the last thing i would allow to happen is my dog to maul someone elses which is why i...watch my dog, spend time with my dog an learn his signs, know his limits and when its a good idea to walk right past the dog park and walk on the bike trail instead, but most importantly i know and repect the pit bull heritage and thier capabilities.

Hmmmmm i know what you are and i respect your knowledge of the breed but lets not forget you deal primarily with game bred dogs the fight and drive is still very honed into them. With game dogs your right i would never even chance it. There are no fighters in Drey ped, his lines are all show dog CH and and he is bred more for the conformation. Blues are notorious for being "curs" or not willing to fight, by dog men. They are by leaps and bounds less aggressive than the red lines that are so popular. While my dog is by blood as much a pit bull as any dog in your pits, he is also not bred for fighting he is bred for the ring. Conformation dogs are the opposite of pit dogs while you take out dogs athat are not aggressive those are the ones we look for. you cannot have a show dog that is lunging at every dog in reach. and at shows there are lots of them. I am not really into showing but i have thought about it now and again. just to put the CH in there, maybe one day. but socialization is something that i will always be into.

Sorry im not going to budge on this one.
:black: