Dogomania

Insurance - More Breed Discrimination!

Daisysmom

From my ASPCA news alert:

HELP US STOP INSURANCE COMPANIES FROM DISCRIMINATING AGAINST DOGS!
Many homeowners are faced with the hardship of choosing between keeping a beloved family companion and obtaining homeowners' insurance--simply because their dog is on a list of breeds that the insurance company has exempted from its policies. To put an end to breed discrimination, the ASPCA Government Affairs and Public Policy Department needs your help. If your insurance company has refused to write or has canceled your homeowner's or renter's policy based on the breed of dog you own, please complete our online survey at the [url]http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=lobby_insurance[/url] ASPCA Advocacy Center. The information will assist us in compiling the data we need to prohibit this practice, and will not be forwarded to any other sources. For those of you who have responded to our previous request, thank you so much--and we'd greatly appreciate your participation in this survey, too.

The rottweilers, pit bulls, chows and all the other "unacceptable" breeds and breed mixes need--and thank you for--your help!

Ok so the insurance costs a lot more or they won't insure you if you have certain breeds, the site indicates this is due to risk of biting and liability right?
When I got my homeowners and pet insurance quote I inquired if this covered bite liability and the guy said - absolutely not, if your dog bites someone you are solely responsible. So why not just do that, I mean if you have a breed with a greater statistical chance of biting someone, so what, the insurance company does not have to insure you for that right . . . or am I missing something?

Technically, if the dog bites someone on your property, traditionally your homeowners insurance would cover it. Same as if someone fell on the ice on your porch. But the insurance companies have opted out of this coverage because someone who is mauled by a dog usually requires intensive care and therapy. But any dog can maul a person; I dont think it's fair to classify all Pits and Rotts as "uninsurable"...

Bottom line, insurance companies are in the business of making money....

:evil:

[quote name='DogPaddle']Ok so the insurance costs a lot more or they won't insure you if you have certain breeds, the site indicates this is due to risk of biting and liability right?
When I got my homeowners and pet insurance quote I inquired if this covered bite liability and the guy said - absolutely not, if your dog bites someone you are solely responsible. So why not just do that, I mean if you have a breed with a greater statistical chance of biting someone, so what, the insurance company does not have to insure you for that right . . . or am I missing something?[/quote]

The insurance companies call it breed profiling and it's a nasty thing. Dobermans are one breed that many insurance companies refuse to insure but, if you check the CDC's bite statistics Dobes are pretty far down the bite list. (For example, they're far below German Shepherds yet GSD's are not generally refused for insurance.) Personally, I think Dobes always get lumped into stuff like this and BSL (Breed specific legislation) because of the way they look.....Hollywood loves to use a Dobe as an attack dog.

My Whitney is a working therapy dog. She has attained somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 titles, including agility and obedience. She's extremely stable and, short of someone attacking me, I can't see her biting anyone. I have State Farm insurance. I really like their policy when it comes to dogs because it's very fair. Tthey don't care what breed of dog you have, they insure the first bite. Once a dog has bitten, it is removed from the policy and the homeowner must either be willing to bear any finiancial consequences themselves or find other insurance.

The Doberman Pinscher Club of America in conjunction with several other national breed clubs whos' chosen breed has been "breed profiled" by insurance companies are working on the matter in the courts. I believe Seattle or at least Washington state, has the distinction of being the first. We don't want breeds penalized or discriminated against. (It's not the breed, it's the owners!) We're attempting to get legislation in place to prevent insurance companies from doing breed profiling. We're also looking into getting insurance companies to take into consideration any certificates earned by the dog in question....CGC's(AKC Canine Good Citizen), obedience titles, etc...

BTW, about covering the bite yourself.....in today's society someone could sue for many thousands of dollars over a dog bite.

Many HUNDREDS of thousands, actually. After the intensive care and therapy medical costs, the victim can also sue for loss of wages, disfigurement, emotional instability, loss of "rights"...the list is extensive....

It boils down to lawyers rule the world.....

:evil: :evil:

Maybe its different because I live in Canada, health care is covered, they can only sue me for pain and suffering, negligence, maybe plastic surgery but probably not. I know that most insurance companies will not cover at all for dog bites, but you can get homeowners no matter what the breed is, its just not covering the biting bit.

[quote name='DogPaddle']Maybe its different because I live in Canada, health care is covered, they can only sue me for pain and suffering, negligence, maybe plastic surgery but probably not. I know that most insurance companies will not cover at all for dog bites, but you can get homeowners no matter what the breed is, its just not covering the biting bit.[/quote]

I lived in Canada (Montreal) for 15 years, just moved back here 8 years ago! Folks in Canada don't have the same mentality toward lawsuits that folks in the US do. I'm not saying that they never sue but, in the US too many folks are looking for any opportunity they can find (or make) to sue and make a few bucks.

Picture this. I'm in the front yard working on the garden with Whitney. Whit is on a 20' lead tied to a tree....the lead stops well short of the sidewalk, someone would have to walk halfway into my yard to be within her reach. OK, picture someone deciding to walk into my yard and hit me. Maybe someone drunk, maybe someone under the influence of drugs, maybe someone who was just looking for someone to hit. Doesn't matter. They walk into my yard, hit me, Whit bites them and I get my ass sued off. Not kidding, this could really happen even though it took place in my own yard!

Folks in the US, whether they are homeowners or renters, carry liability insurance to protect themselves from today's "sue happy" mentality. The liability is usually rolled into the homeowners insurance package. Someone tripping down your front step could sue you......too many people today refuse to take responsibilty for their own actions.

It happens here to an extent too. Someone can break into your house with the intention of stealing YOUR possessions, and if YOUR dog attacks them, or you attack them with no claim to self defence, YOU can get sued!! How unfair is that?! :evil:

I think Nancy said it best- people refuse to take responsibility for their own actions. If you intend to steal someone's stuff don't come crying to the lawyers if you get a broken arm over it. Idiots. If I *wanted* people to steal my things without getting kneecapped, I'd leave the door open, or hell, leave it on the front verandah, and lock the dog in the attic. :evil:

Guest Anonymous

I am definately moving back to Mexico!!!LOL. Ok if the robbers or murderers can sue once they leave than I guess we better make sure they never leave. Actually I am just kidding of course . I just think people are sue happy here .