Dogomania

I NEED help with my dog!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[b] Hey everyone. My dog, Duke, Is REALLY STUPID! i mean, you yell Stupid Dog, and he comes RUNNING!! if you yell duke, he stays as he is. Hes pretty dumb. And I want to teache him to do stuff, but i just can not find a way that works. He is 4 yrs old. Ive taught him tricks, he forgot almost all of them. Does anyone know a way to make hium smarter, Or at least a better learning method for him?[/b]
THANKS!!! :D

How to Make Your Dog "Smarter"

Daily interaction. - play
Exposure to new environments, new people, new dogs (where possible)
Daily interaction. - snuggle
Toys that stimulate the mind or work drive like kongs or dog puzzles etc.
Daily interaction. - ecxercise
Regular training, many short sessions often work better than a few long ones.
Daily interaction. - just spending time with you

What do you do with Duke now, what specifically do you want to be able to do with Duke?

Guest Anonymous

Hey
The way I train duke, I play with him. My friend, good, good friend(sounds corny, but its true) She has an A-frame, teeter, tunnel, and stuff and we make jumps, he was in agility, and he can do it well. I want to teach him other things, Like how to open doors, the fridge, and indicate things to me, His girlfriend(hehe, my friends dog) Can do everything! and hes a little jelouse! HAZEL, YOUR TOO GOOD! lol
So ya, I just need help with that.

Guest Anonymous

Duke's 5... 'member? Hazel's 3, Duke's 5... if not 6... I forget how old he was when you got him from the shelter, so I duno... but ANYWHO...

Duke is VERY Smart, could probably even teach him how to do the "Specail Special Trick" :wink: You just have to know how to work with him! I can get him to do almost as much as Hazel, but since he moves slower, and responds slower the Hazel, he seems METALLY Slower! But he's not! He was listening like a charm this morning, even if it took a lot of high pitched "DUKIE DUKIE DUKIE!!! SIT!! DUKIE! SIT!" hee hee, but he listened... you still have to find that "Charm" that works, I've tried to show YOU how to get him to listen!!! Treats are your best use, and LOTS of excited tones and stuff... he responds good to that.

To teach the dog to open the fridge and pull or slidding doors etc, get a pull toy rope or a durable cloth, fairly long and flexable. Play tug repeatedly. Tie rope or cloth to fridge door, wiggle it till doggy tries to play dog, say OPEN or whatever as the dog tugs and praise when the door opens. Note it is much harder to teach them to close it and if you teach this you should have a very secure yard and no indoor only cats. Also it really sucks to have the fridge open all night or to find the dog with its new skills of fridge opening has realized he doesn't need to eat dog food anymore. :o

Guest Anonymous

What I would do if I were you..is to use treats! Dogs Love Treats!!! Reward him when he does something good! And Always pet him after he does what you want him to. This may seem hard but if you practice and really concentrate, it could work! If he knows you have an award, he'll do his best to please you! You also may want to pick up some books from the library about training..

[color=blue][/color][color=red][/color]
I was a little upset at how you called your dog, Duke, stupid. You need to have patience with him, he seems like an otherwise smart dog. I agree to use treats and praise him when he does something right. You might not want to teach him to open the fridge, though. He might take advantage of that leftover chicken! Good Luck and please don't call your dog names. Thank you. :angel:

[quote name='2MALTESE'][color=blue][/color][color=red][/color]
I was a little upset at how you called your dog, Duke, stupid. You need to have patience with him, he seems like an otherwise smart dog. I agree to use treats and praise him when he does something right. You might not want to teach him to open the fridge, though. He might take advantage of that leftover chicken! Good Luck and please don't call your dog names. Thank you. :angel:[/quote]

You'd really hate to see the sign I have by my driveway then. It says, "Old dog, young dog, several stupid dogs live here. Please drive slowly." :-?

But I mean "stupid" in only the nicest way... a term of endearment? :oops:

Would you call your child stupid? That is how I feel about my dogs, like they are my children. I would never call them that and don't understand people that do. They lay around the house all day, get watered and fed, and get lavished with hugs, pets and kisses. We go to work all day. Which really is the more intelligent of the two? I say the Dog! :modla:

[quote name='2MALTESE']Would you call your child stupid? [/quote]

No, I save the REALLY good ummm "terms of endearment" for children! :)

I know what you mean DP... my parents didn't have much of a sense of humor when it came to "terms of endearment" for my siblings. Then again, these terms were much, MUCH worse than "stupid." :evilbat:

On a more serious note (yeah, right *snicker*), I firmly believe that dogs (at least mine) respond more to HOW I say something rather than WHAT I say. It's been a long running joke around my house to gush and cuddle with some of my more errr challenged dogs while saying, "you're so stupid... yes, you are! and you're ugly, too! my goodness, you're just the silliest dog I've ever seen in my entire life! *gush*coddle*coo*"

Maybe my dogs have a sense of humor? I don't know, but they eat it up! :P

Guest Anonymous

Hey
The reason i call my dog stupid( i don't reeally anymoree, but wee used to) is because one day i was playing with him and he ran away and i was like' your so stupid!!' and he came back running, it was funny at the time, so wee continued to call huim that, but then we just saorta stoped i donno why.And no, i would never call my child stupid, but i would call my dog it beausee he i used to. But, children aree your children. No one calls their own child stupid.

[quote]Would you call your child stupid? That is how I feel about my dogs, like they are my children. I would never call them that and don't understand people that do. They lay around the house all day, get watered and fed, and get lavished with hugs, pets and kisses. We go to work all day. Which really is the more intelligent of the two? I say the Dog[/quote]!
I HAVE HEARD PARENTS SAY SUCH THINGS LIKE THEY MEAN IT

[quote]OH not the one in the Avatar!!! he is a star among dogs! I have a Bulldog my "sent from the lower echelons of Hades to torture me" Cymoril....now that is one butt ugly dog but she is also very, very cute in a "ugly" kind of way...hard to explain you either love a wrinkly ,squish nosed,saggy faced,undershot jawed,fat (did I mention wrinkly?) bulldog ...or you dont [/quote]
K CYMORIL IS A BEAUTIFUL LITTLE ANGEL

:lol:
[quote]"you're so stupid... yes, you are! and you're ugly, too! my goodness, you're just the silliest dog I've ever seen in my entire life! *gush*coddle*coo*"
[/quote]

I have seen my brother do this, the dogs love him to death, they get all wiggly but when he is telling them - If you eat my shoes again I'm gonna drive you way out in the country and drop you off with them or some other such. As long as he says it freindly like they don't care, also he'd never do it. I really do think its all in how you say it and mean it. It's not like you don't like the dog, you love it, you love its wrinkly squashy ugly/cute little face, you love its head tilting utterly confused . . . limitations.

Mouse - I have also seen parents and dog owners call there kids/dogs stupid and worse and definately sound like they mean it and that is reprehensible. There is a couple in our complex and the father is constantly shouting proganities and derogatory comments at his children - I can't stand it. What chance do these kids have of being polite adults with good self esteems? :cry: I can't stand him - he is an angry nasty evil man.

Yes, I agree that calling a child names and being degrated is one of the worst things a parent or anyone can do. Just ask me. I have been told that I am worthless, stupid, fat etc. all my life. Do I believe it, not on the surface. But, I still have these thoughts in my mind and can still hear my parents, brothers and classmates harsh words like it was yesterday. It is a hard thing to grow out of and like I said, deep down the words are still there.