Dogomania

Cats vs. Dogs

Guest Anonymous

I personally don't like cats for the following reasons:
1. I am afraid that they will jump in my daughters crib while she is sleeping and lay on her head.
2. I don't like getting scratched or having them bat and scratch at my children and I think declawing them is cruel.
3. They jump on the counters and tables and tend to shed more than dogs(Well at least the ones I have been around)
3. They sit on your head while you are sleeping
4. I don't like litter boxes,they stink(Well If you use the cheap litter) they are messy(The cats sometimes slightly miss the box or throw the litter onto the floor).
5. They cannot be trained to do anything and they only give you attention when they want it.
Well I don't know anything about cats so I guess they are like dogs it probably depends on how you raise them and what breed of cat yours is. Also I suppose if you regularly groomed them like a dog(If they got used to the water and brush) they would not shed as much and there are litter pears that supposably absorb the odor so who knows but I am NOT a cat person.

Guest Anonymous

I adore cats and have one of my own named Hugo. He is a Desert Lynx. Beutiful speciman that loves to play rough house with my woof-woofs.

All of Lad's comments were pretty acurate - cats are independent and seem to act like they need no one. In the wild, they usually dont. They can survive better than dogs on their own....but a housecat that's learned to love it's people - THATS a prize. Nothing is more compelling than having an independent, "I dont need you" cat jump into your lap and purr at you.

Dogs will always come to you for affection - a cat that "chooses" to love you is not as common. They are not better than dogs. just different.

I have both. My dogs are lovey and kind, my cat comes in for "special moments" they are just as loving, just in a different way...

I am a "dog person" that also like cats. I have had my current cat for 8 years now. She doesn't get on the counters or table, nor does she scratch on the furniture, and thinks she is a "dog". She follows me everywhere just like the dogs. Even when I am feeding the horses. She also "answers" when I call her or say her name.

I have never owned a cat before either, but I still don't like them. Every cat that I've met has either hissed at me, scratched at me, bitten me, or stared at me with their freaky green-yellow eyes until I freak out.... they're very scary animals. I also don't like them because they really don't care about you... they wouldn't care if you were dead or alive... as long as they get their food.

And, which is better??? Cats or dogs??? Well, who worked on Ground Zero??? Who goes to war and protects their country??? Who would die themselves for their owner's happyness??? DOGS!!!!!!!

Guest Anonymous

Hey, I posted a reply on this didn't I? Or... whats going on here?! I never read anything anyone wrote here... but I swear it was there before... and... I'm SO CONFUSED!! :drinking:

Well, I realize that cats are not really "worker animals", and werent at ground zero, but they are often used to take into hospitals to sit on old and sick peoples laps and purr at them. Some people prefer cats because they require much less care than dogs. It's not however true that they "dont love you and only care about the food". When brought up as kittens, they can be trained to not scratch, not jump on counters, and be basically friendly. Mine never gets on the tables or the counters, even back when he was young and he could. And K, I had a siamese mix before this one, and aloof was NOT his way. Siameses TALK, constantly....
They remind me of that Meow Mix commercial.....

It's a personal choice thing. I dont think any animal is bad, but there are some I wouldnt want to own. (i'm not a snake person, for instance. I'm not afraid of them, just dont want one for a pet) Like I said, I have both, and there are three different personalities in all three pets. Mine is not friendly to anyone but me. Some cats bond that way. But some dogs do, too.
It just depends on the cat....

[quote name='HazelNutMeg']Hey, I posted a reply on this didn't I? Or... whats going on here?! I never read anything anyone wrote here... but I swear it was there before... and... I'm SO CONFUSED!! :drinking:[/quote]

Hazel I think there are two topics with the same name... maybe we can merge the two...? will ask K. :)

Guest Anonymous

alright great! Thanks BK! :angel:
yeah, I think their were replies after I wrote on the last one... but since I never got to read it, then it wasn't marked as unread next time, and it got lost :evil:

I dont think you have to either like cats or dogs Im a fan of all animals .My two cats are very affectionate , we lived in a shed for a while (our house was being built ) and my pet hate is mice (alright I dont love every animal) and without my cats to take care of the mice I'd have gone crazy :wink:

Okay so I'm not that unusual there are others like me....I have been told that a person is either a dog or a cat person. I love both types of animals for their own behaviors. Cats are NOT stupid or lazy. As a said before we had a cat when I was growing up that would use her food to lure mice out into the middle of room where she could catch them more easily and she didn't have front or rear claws. Cats are cool because they don't need as much attention as dogs but when they are raised indoors (outdoor cats have an average lifespan of 2 years....so they don't do as well all alone as people think) they still want and crave attention. Yes sometimes I get mad at my cats for sleeping on my head, but every animal can do things to bug their owners. Dogs are cool because they are easier to train, etc. My partner was strickly a cat person and I begged and begged to get a dog. At first she was shocked at how much more work a dog took. Now she said she never wants to be wothout either type of pet. IMO it's not only personal choice, but also with what types of animals you interact.

I agree Science.

I think being either a cat or dog person is a myth, similar to the age old one of cats and dogs being natural enemies. In fact, they are not.
Natural enemies are predator and prey. In the wild, cats and wolves, foxes, etc, are all predators and would rarely even interact with each other.
There are exceptions, of course, but normally they would avoid each other.

Even real natural enemies, like cats and mice, can learn to get along and be friends. I see that on AP all the time. It just depends on the situation

My best friends husband is afraid of dogs - bit when a child - and they have cats. We're trying to break him in with Alex, cuz he's HUGE but so laid back there is no reason to fear him....

okay, i have to reply to this :) i tend to think that there are very definitely cat people and dog people, i also think however that there is a third more open accepting group of people who like both :) i also think a lot of it has to do with which animals you are raised with. i was raised with labs, i have always loved big dogs, now i have a largish dog and love my smaller one too. but back to cats, i have met only two cats in my whole life i felt like i could really trust to act fairly consistantyly. of course my older brother had this HUGE really really evil cat that was mean as a snake from the day they adopted him and never was even remotely nice to anyone but my brother and his wife, and at several points all i would have to do to provoke his eighteen pound self to attack me was walk by him in the hallway. one time he actually jumped on my leg (thank God i was wearing jeans) and dug every single claw he had into me and tried to bite the heck out of me......so maybe some of my disliking has to do with him but i don't think i'll ever want to own a cat. i won't tolerate anyone being mean to any animal though and even though i dislike cats i do respect them as another living creature.

by the way, why are so many many more people allergic to cats than dogs ? just curious, i've heard many speculations.

I'm not big on them because they scratch around in their litter box and then climb around on my counters with their poopy feet. [img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/blancm3/images/icon_crazy.gif[/img]
And don't give me that stuff about training them to keep off the counters - we all know they just wait until nobody's home! :)
I think they are great in the barn though - they eat up all the meeces.

I'm more of a dog person, but ever since volunteering at the animal shelter, I've become very fond of cats. Until I was in the Jr. High, I used to be allergic to cats. I guess I've just become immuned. I like the face of the Persians too! I don't have anything personal against cats except that their litter boxes and male anal sacs stink!!! For me, it's harder to predict a cat, so I'm afraid that they'll all of a sudden turn around to bite or scratch me. Unlike dogs, a lot of the cats at the shelter hate having their stomachs touched, so if you give them a belly rub, they give you a long, red, swollen tattoo across your arm and face. :lol: .

I have the hardest time identifying cat breeds. They all look similar to me, with very little distinctness. How do I tell them apart? I like the short haired cats a lot better, just cuz it doesn't get my allergies going. I love the gray, slender DSH and the Siamese. I also prefer the smaller cats.

:( I really hate the word hate! Cats are often the victims of sadistic behavior from cat haters. These people usually don't like much of anything else either.

Disliking cats because they don't act like dogs is like saying you don't like an apple because it does not taste like an orange.

Dogs are pack animals...cats are not...and that is the main reason for the difference in their interaction. I love both dogs and cats for the unique creatures they are.

They are no more likely to bite, hiss etc than a dog.

OK a little scientific edification for the non-cat people....

Cat's originated in Egypt - they are desert creatures by nature. That's why they prefer warmth. That's also why the whole litter thing. They would bury their droppings in sand to make them less obvious to predators.

They are loners. They spend little time with each other except to mate.
This is still true in most wild cat societys except for the Lions. Lions form packs, or "Prides" because where they live, and the food they hunt, requires more than a loner cat could handle. They adapted.

Cats are actually very clean, even considering the litterbox. They wash themselves countless times a day. This is not because they are obsessive/compulsive. but because in their original habitat they needed to remove any scent from themselves to be safe. They were prey to some larger animals, although predator to others...

They are not "outgoing" in most cases. Their original habitat required them to be alone, unlike pack animals who have learned instinctive "family"
ties to remain alive.

So while they are not dogs, they can still be loving and caring. They just need to be looked at a different way...

Alright, you know how people say cats aren't pack animals... Well, what about lions? They usually live in packs, don't they? They cooperate to raise their young an to catch prey.

Also, wolves in the wild will never "cuddle" to sleep. They will all have their "territories," so they sleep in their own little circle, with about three feet of space between each dog.

Guest Anonymous

There have been documented studies of barnyard cats who interact like pride lions.They form a pack and the females look after each others litters.Feeding others kittens,washing them ect.Most cats dont act this way due to the fact that they dont often live in groups of 7-10.I've had cats and dogs all my life,their both loving and beautiful in their own ways.Dogs have owners , cats have slaves,dogs make you feel special by how much, and passionately they love you,whereas cats,being generally independent make you feel special when they CHOOSE to sit in your lap,for an example.I have trained cats to come when their called and to do 'tricks'such as sit.Their just different.

Thank you Staffie - that's exactly correct. In situations where cats have been allowed to group together, they do form prides. It deosnt happen in the wild except for lions, but it;s the instinct to survive that decides what they do. Housecats are usually too small, and independent, and unless groups of them live together they dont form "packs" - but they can, when necessary. Like any animal, the adapt to the current circumstances.