Dogomania

Throw Chains

Guest Anonymous

Throw Chains. The proper use not misuse.
The throw chain is used to teach the dog off leash absolutely who the master is. This allows you absolute, 100% control over your dog when he is off leash. Consider this, you have a large dog off leash, he is distracted by a bouncing baseball at a park, he runs to it and at the same time a child is running to get it. What if the kid gets bit by the dog.
When you allow a dog off leash and to do so you must have complete control of him the leash which is used to control him is not there any more. So what is to keep him from taking off and doing what he wants? Nothing. Hence Koehler came up with the idea of a throw chain. Use is as follows: You must conceal it in your hand, allow the dog to wander off leash, when called to return if he does not come without hesitation, hit him in the hind quarters (not face). Do not allow him to see you throw it or pick it up. Now there is another thing- do not miss. Now, he knows there is another means of correction besides a pull on the leash, which you can not use if he is off leash.
What about negative reinforcement? Understand, the dog must be taught with positive reinforcement first. When he is given to understanding what is expected of him but is disobedient, then the negative reinforcement is used to polish him off and bring him to a state of absolute control. Mr.Koehler stressed this--use positive reinforcment to teach a dog(this is a pat and sincere good boy, not food) what is expected of him.
By the way you may be interested to know that the throw chains are not used any more, they have been replaced by the electronic collars. Thanks

[quote]Well mad as I am ...I use "STOP"(insert name) and "STAY" and then "HERE"....How vierd is daaaaat?[/quote]

Man that is CRAAAAAZY!

Me I shout "Kavik, Kong, Come" works everytime, of course we spent a while working on this. Zaphod does not have perfect recall yet (maybe never) so . . . get this . . . I DON'T LET HIM PLAY OFFLEASH outside, that way I don't have to worry, and we continue to slowly and patiently work on his recall.

[quote name='Kiger']Yeah but you don't have a dog like Kato who practices selective hearing. I took him for a walk the other day, I look down and there is the collar laying on the ground still attached to the leash - about 2 feet away from the little dog who is now smiling at me. Uh-oh... I turned around and acted like I had something really cool that I wasn't about to share. Works every time. :)[/quote]

this is what i do with lady AND dresden, it works for two dogs too, especially if you act goofy and run away saying you have treats and making 'MMMMMMm" noises........ :D :D :D

oh, and i had to use a spray bottle with dresden to teach her go lie down, i only had to spray her twice. it's her quickest-reaction-command now. last night she was in the bathroom (you have to go through a closet to get to this bathroom) digging in the trash can looking for goodies, i called her and she would not come but i knew she was in there being bad. so i snuck up on her and sprayed into the bathroom three times, (this is all in the dark mind you) i missed her all three times and never heard a peep........i called her again and no answer....so i turned on the light in the closet and no dresden, looked again and there she was hiding in the corner under the clothes with only her head sticking out and her ears all back.........it was hilarious on the one hand, but on the other hand she was so scared it really made me feel like a jerk...........

moral of the story, each dog has different triggers for what is effective and it never needs to include pain or you inflicting abuse on them. i know my labs NEVER would have responded to a spray bottle but dresden does, so it's worth a try. with any discipline there is a fine line between using it for training and getting on a power trip, a lot of people need to be careful with this............like i said, inflicting pain is NOT necessary........

Freebee's recall is very bad - she knows the commands, and will respond in the yard, because she knows she cant get out...I can come get her and make her come in - outside of the yard, she's smart enough to know that
I cant catch her when she is offleash. And she has the natural lab tendency to want to roam.....I have brought her back often with "treats!" or "play ball!" but usually after a few minutes at least. She is getting better,
but it's taking a long time.

Still, with all of that, my solution is to not let her offleash, and to continue to train her to respond. I would NEVER throw a chain at her, or anything that could hurt her. Koeller seems to think that dogs are stupid...hold the chain in your hand and dont let him see you pick it up? What're the odds THAT will happen everytime?

• 8 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I GUESS YOU GUYS JUST READ WHAT YOU WANT TO IN THE REMARKS OF SOME REAL TRAINERS..... THROW CHAINS HAVE BEEN REPLACED BY SHOCK COLLARS...

AND REAL TRAINERS WORK WITH THEIR DOGS OFF LEASH..... TO DO SO YOU NEED SOME REINFORCEMENTS FOR THE ON LEASH COMMANDS.... IF HE KNOWS THE RULE AND CHOOSES NOT TO LISTEN, THEN HE MUST BE MADE TO OBEY...
kOELLER KNOWS DOGS ARE SMART, THUS THE SNEAKY TRICKS....
IM ALL FOR NEGETIVE REINFORCEMENT WHEN MY DOG IS ACTING NEGETIVE LIKE REBELLING AND YES....THEY DO REBEL..