Dogomania

Breeding "popular" breeds- good or bad?

bk_blue

This has probably been discussed before, but...

Does a breed getting "popular" eg. Dalmatians (after the movie 101 Dals) help or hinder the breed? I see that you can get a LOT of BYBs, millers etc trying to cash in on the latest "trend" :evil: but maybe you would also get some others genuinely interested in educating themselves in their choice of dog and bettering the breed....? (that might be a long shot though)

Thoughts anyone?

It all depends on how the breeders react. When a breed gets sudden recognition breeders need to be willing and ready to take on the extra work. This means education for the public. Breed clubs should distribute information and breeders needs to be able to answer the questions. By re-coiling and hiding, refusing to breed, etc...they only open the doors of opertunity to the byb and miller.

I think it hinders the breed! Without a doubt! There are many examples to that.

Collies = Lassie
St. Bernards = Bethoven
Dalmatians = 101 Dalmatians
German Shepards = Policedog Rex

That's only four, but there are many more!
The latest trend is always the thing that gives you more money! So if Dals are IN then you should breed Dals to all cost... Right?
The puppymillers get loads of cash by selling the pups to petshops. Even some "breeders" make some good cash! But with "breeders"...
But what happens to the dals that are miscolored?
Believe or not they are KILLED!!!!!! :evil:

Oh, I'd better stop writing before I explode! I can REALLY get angry with this! :pissed:

/Crest

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Yes because backyard breeders a.k.a "breeders" who have no idea what they are doing breed these dogs and make the bitch have more litters than ias natural for the dog to have. Causing problems and making these pups have more health problems.