Dogomania

"gotta have cheese"

Luka-pop

Luka loves cheeeeeese so much that he gets all excited and loses his mind. He'll start voluntarily doing all of his tricks before I even decide to give him one. When I do decide, I'm shut out of his world, completely! When I ask for a sit, he'll lie down, the beg will be the paw, the roll over will be the dance, well, you get the picture. And he does this nonstop... up, down, sideways, reverse... jump, hop, skip, flip... twinkle twinkle little star... how I wonder what you are (sorry, it just went with the flow and I got carried away). This is just with cheese, so far. He'll anticipate and try to impress me with all his tricks... What do I do? Anybody else have this problem?

Kavik will get like that sometimes with some toys or treats. It's somewhat difficult when we are in obedience and I'm trying to get him to sit so we can do the (lie) down excercise and he skips ahead on me :lol: . The only thing I can suggest is working on your "watch" or "look" commands because watch/look also equates with listen for the dog, we have marginal success with this but are improving.

I think that you should just not give him a treat until he settles down. Simply ignore him until he stops (I know, i know, this is easier said than done!!) It might take 15 minutes, but whatever you do, don't give him a treat until he does what you ask, on the first try. I agree with dog paddle, teaching him watch me would be a good idea, it definitely helps to get his attention focused on you. But it wouldn't be a good idea to try to teach this command with cheese! Well...keep working at it! Have fun :wink:

:o

What IS it about cheese? It makes my dogs insane too, and every dog I've ever had or known will just slobber for it!

Did we create a bunch of culinary monsters? - LOL

they wouldnt get cheese in the wild....

I would go with the "watch"concentration too. I had to stop rewarding mine with cheese for the same reason. Now they get it only if they do something super-special-good, like snarl at phony Animal Control Agents....

[quote name='Luka-pop']Luka loves cheeeeeese so much that he gets all excited and loses his mind. He'll start voluntarily doing all of his tricks before I even decide to give him one. When I do decide, I'm shut out of his world, completely! When I ask for a sit, he'll lie down, the beg will be the paw, the roll over will be the dance, well, you get the picture. And he does this nonstop... up, down, sideways, reverse... jump, hop, skip, flip... twinkle twinkle little star... how I wonder what you are (sorry, it just went with the flow and I got carried away). This is just with cheese, so far. He'll anticipate and try to impress me with all his tricks... What do I do? Anybody else have this problem?[/quote]
buy a large block LOL. sorry I could not help saying that. I think Cheetah has the right idea :D