Dogomania

Chaining Dogs

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I couldn't have put it better! Why have a dog in the first place if you don't want it to live with the family, dogs are companions friends and family members, would you like to see your family and friends shut outside or chained up? My dogs are with me wherever I go because I want them with me and they want to be with me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinking:

I would NEVER chain my dogs (a rottie and a saint-both very strong dogs). I agree with Mouse. They are my family members.

If a person is breeding dogs, they should have adequate kennel facilities for their dogs instead of chaining. I won't get into the minimum attention needed issue, because I think that dogs need maximum attention to be socially healthy! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

all i have to say about this chaining discussion is that i strongly disagree with chaining dogs, but i'm not going to argue about it with these people who won't listen. there's a proverb about that.........

"a fool is wiser in his own eyes than seven men who answer discreetly."

Mouse was just teasing ya! We tease each other alot in here....

The "autologin" doesnt always work. I dont know why....Like K said just check your status before you post.

And Rott, I agree completely. IMO, the reason to have a dog is to be friend, family, protector and protected....there is a responsibility here that
needs addressing. Mine would love to stay out all day, but because it
isnt safe and the weather precludes it they stay inside. In the spring/fall they often stay outside for 5 hours at a time (in a fenced yard) UNLESS
I have to go somewhere. Then they are borught in until I come back.

They LOVE their outside time, but I dont trust some neighborhood kid not to open the gate and let them out. Most of it is spent out there on weekends. Also, if they start to bark excessively or something starts to bother them, I bring them in. So yes, you are absolutely correct that this is a responsibility, not just a yard ornament.

I still feel that with long outside time (I consider their 5 hours long) that a fenced yard is the best solution. AND supervision.

I dont, and never will, agree that they should "live outside"...

I don't have a fenced yard and it isn't an option right now.
I do "chain" my dog. He has a very nice setup with a safe metal rope encased in plastic I think. But he is NEVER out there alone.
It's just so he can have a little freedom and we can hang out without me holding a leash on him. It's very safely set up and has a spring so it has some give, and he knows how long it is and not to run like a maniac to its end, which could hurt his neck.

We use it for having breakfast together outside or sitting out on a nice day and he'll have a bone. Or sometimes we even have a little picnic.
There's too many fun things to chase in my neighborhood so even when I'm right there, I can't trust him off lead.

"Chains" have gotten so abused it's disgusting. The products are made so people like me can have their dog out while they are gardening or enjoying the sun TOGETHER. Not so you can buy a dog and leave it outside like a plant and ignore it.

Courtnek, Alicat....thats what I like about you both and others here too :D You do the right thing with your dogs....not leave them chained up 24 hours a day, just a few hours a day, thats fine....very sensible....but some just make me so angry has to why they have these dogs just to tether them, you could say treated like a horse, which I dont agree on either. They should be free to do has they please and see people everyday...be played with and loved. To me its like prison for both dog and horse.........they have no life what so ever....nearby they have horses tethered but some have been moved. Its cruel and irresponsible and its no life for an animal and besides they are more at risk, especially horses.

Alicat, I apologize if I upset you. Let me clarify. You're kind of "chaining" is fine; you are being very responsible about it. I didnt mena that a dog should
never be chained, just that it shouldnt be left outside (chained, fenced, or kenneled) forever, and never attended to or played with. I had Jarvis on a
chain runner at my old townhouse because I didnt have a fenced yard.

For a few hours, with supervision like you're doing is fine. My beef is with people who chain them out, leave them there and go away. Or chain them out all day and never go out and play with them. I wouldnt leave my dogs out all alone in the fenced yard either. It's just not safe. Having the dog tied while someone is supervising is ok in my opinion.

Truce?

:D

Oh no, you didn't!! I need to start adding smiley's to my posts!! :D

I just wanted to add my own experience or beliefs because I think that a lot of the things made for dogs, like chains and crates, are being abused. They are tools, not babysitters.

PS though my dog is never out there for a few hours! Maybe for some dogs that would be ok but Great Danes are very sensitive emotionally and to the weather.

Typically on a nice morning we have breakfast together outside and then I read with him. We go out on activities during the day, and then we may sit outside again together in the evening depending on weather and he'll have a bone. My dog is ONLY outside when I am right there with him.

THANKS!! I prefer chain runners to regular chains because the chain is"off the ground" - less entanglment. But supervision is the key. If something bad happens, someone is there to make it right.

That's all I was trying to say. We are their carekeepers...no matter what.

I have seen terrible things done to dogs, and so sometimes I come across as a little ballistic....I guess my love for them is above and beyond my love for some people...those who dont care for them and chain them up up outside with no shelter, no love, no attention. And you're right. None of these things should be used as "BABYSITTERS"... that's my whole issue.

Thanks for talking to me about this. I have a son. So "proper care" is part of my nature... (he's a teenager, he wont appreciate me for a few more years....) LOL

:D