Guest Anonymous

How important is the food you feed a puppy  

1. 1. How important is the food you feed a puppy

• Crucial
    • semi
    • not very
    • depends on the breed

Guest Anonymous

My newest addition is on something called Diamond or something like that, I dont want to suddnely switch foods so I have to find this stuff. I am in nebraska and am actually having trouble finding this stuff. Has anyone else ever heard of it? Is it any good? Is it worth continuing, beyond the puppy stage?

And what do you guys feed, you are a pretty trustworthy bunch so I am interested in what the "Pros" use.

:black:

I have heard good things about diamond, I think Hobbit uses it?
I use Bil-Jac dry. My only quibble on it so far is the senior food is too soft and tends to crumble a good bit. The adult food does not have this problem. Perhaps they made the senior softer to accomodate an older dogs teeth and gums, well my older dog still chomps his big dog cookie every day so I don't think he needs a softer kibble.

Maybe if you can't find that food near you, you could ask the breeder to get an extra bag (at your expence of course), so that you can have enough to feed for a while and while you switch to something else. When are you getting your new addition?
P.S. I feed Nutro NC Lamb + Rice.

Guest Anonymous

unti lrecently i was hoping next week but with the snow and sever weather Im not so sure about shipping in this climate. I may wait until spring :( But i would rather wait and be sure then to rush and have anything happen to him.

Guest Anonymous

:lol: :lol: THAT IS ME :lol: :lol:
He is coming from Florida. I am so excited to get him I had to pay little much but he is going to be worth it, you get what you pay for. He is so unique looking. Let me stop before i get started, we will have to start a whole new topic so i can talk about this dog.

I have heard good things about Diamond, although I believe they have differing lines. I don't personally know as I have not really researched it and I'm not a big kibble fan anyway, but I certainly don't think it's a bad food.

My concern is the lamb diet. The pet food companies will tell you that they ensure proper taurine and l-carnitine, both of which have been linked to both immediate and long-term health especially heart health. But other studies show that the taurine supplements in a pet food is not absorbed like it is from fresh food. Lamb is a low source of this and the taurine levels concern me, despite any pet food company's claim. Not getting enough of these can lead to serious heart problems like digital cardiomyopathy, a deadly disease in dogs, and blindness in cats. Not worth the risk IMO.

Are you lamb/rice feeders doing so based on allergies? There are other options, such as chicken or beef and rice, Wellness and Natural Balance have allergy lines based on other meats (ie Natural Balance Duck and Potato).

For more info: [url]http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/lamb_rice_diets.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.ivillage.com/pets/expert/vet/articles/0,12329,287564_271824-1,00.html[/url]

Guest Anonymous

I dont usually do the all kibble diet i usually take some semimoist with the dry and not only does it keep the appetite healthy but they really seem to enjoy it. Now a question is that okay? I have been doing it so long it never really occured to me if it would have any bad effects on them.

Guest Anonymous

Bones and Raw Food.

Like actual bones and raw meat, really how do you know what to give them. I am curious because i always see that BARF acronym but i thought it was a brand of dog food :roll: .

Tell me about it though.
:black:

RottNPit -- we feed Diamond puppy (in the purple sack) to the pups. They get puppy food until they are a year old. It is also fed to the lactating bitches and bitches in whelp.

We start feeding the pups at 3 wks old. We just take the dry kibble and soak it in water until it's very soft. Usually, they are on soaked food until they are about 10 to 12 wks, sometimes longer. Then they get the dry. They usually tell us when they want hard, dry food. It feels good to crunch the kibble. Then, when they start losing the baby teeth, around 4 to 6 months, they are back on soft to semi-soft --- because of loose or no teeth.

You can contact Diamond at 1-800-442-0402 and they can tell you the nearest distributor in your area. Many feed stores sell it. It is MUCH cheaper at the feed store than at Petco. It normally runs between $20 to 24.00 a bag/40lbs.

[quote=ROTT'N'PIT]Bones and Raw Food.

Like actual bones and raw meat, really how do you know what to give them. I am curious because i always see that BARF acronym but i thought it was a brand of dog food :roll: .

Tell me about it though.
:black:[/quote]

There was a very heated discussion back in the summer about this diet. What ever you decide -- please be aware that feeding raw foods (chicken, any meats especially) comes with the hazard of Salmonella. Which some BARF people refuse to admit or talk about. Bones can sometimes become lodged in the digestive tract.

Some dogs do very well, some do not.

Guest Anonymous

Rott, You can find a lot of good websites about BARF (some are really bad though), there are also some GREAT books out there!
At my friends website, there's some great links (sorry, it's geocities, you'll probably have to type it in on ur Address bar). [url]http://www.geocities.com/agility_bound_canines/dietandnutrition.html[/url]
Sorry also that the colors hurt ur eyes! LOL I've told her a MILLION times that they do, and that she should use smoother colors, bot nooo! LOL
She's also got some good books listed there too.
With Hazel, I feed her acording to her breed/size/weight. I have the list of how much somewhere...
Haze has actually started shunning her bones though :roll: So we took a break off them, but I'm going to try again tomorrow, and if she doesn't, I may have to actually grind up her bones and put them in her food! :-?
I only started her on the diet in the summer, and am still learning things about it... sorta hard to tell you... it would take forever, but the websites and books at Mandi (my friend)'s website are very informational.

yeah, what hobbit said. i was feeding dresden eukanba puppy food and all she did was grow way too fast (at least is seemed like it), act like the psycho dog from hell, and had an unhealthy coat. i switched to diamond adult lamb and rice and she is behaving a thousand times better, has a very very shiny healthy coat, and is growing more evenly (not sure how much dog food influences this, could just be her age but it happened a week or so after i switched foods). i would very highly recommend it to anyone.

Guest Anonymous

What Hobbit says is true about the Samonela and the Bones... Also, most "old" dogs don't do well because when first starting on the diet, their bodies are being "clensed" from all the bad stuff, this can make the dog very ill, so dogs that aren't that healthy to begin with, or older dogs, it isn't recomended to. With Hazel, she was in quit rough condition before we started her on the diet. After doing TONES of research I decided to "try" it... I gave her one chicken wing (one of the small ones you get for like sweet and sour wings) and a little bit of the meat & veggi mix WITH her kibble. She LOVED it! After a while, I started adding more of the BARF, and less of the kibble until she was finally converted. This helps a lot, for the sudden change can be very hard on some dogs.
If you keep the chicken wraped up good, and not left out too long (we take a two bags out at a time, for two days) and keep the rest frozen, you shouldn't have to wory about Samonela. Also, dogs have much stronger stomachs then us, they can handle a lot more "unsanitary" stuff then we can. I'm not saying you should just give your dog whatever! But a dog can eat raw chicken and live, rather then we can!
A lot of dog owners ground up their bones for dogs that won't eat them. I think that this might make things worse, but I've never tried it. A dog should ALWAYS be supervised when eating the BARF, just in case. It's best to teach your dog to eat "nicely" instead of wolfing it down! Hazel sometimes takes a very long time to eat her chicken, but it's well worth the time to supervise.
You should NEVER feed BARF if you don't feel comfrotable doing so! You should also consult your vet fist... although just a warning, many dogs aren't "pro BARF" and will tell you your better off without it. Like my vet for instance, he doesn't agree with it, but I'm pretty sure I know my dog a lot better then him, and she has improved about 96% (or so) in health! I'm sure the fact that I started her on a new training program, and brought her in the house helps as well too, for if your not healthy mentally, odds are your not going to be healthy any other way!
In a lot of cases, I suggest to find your pooch a GOOD quality food instead of switching to BARF, for there are problems that can accour from it! Some dogs have even DIED from it! :-? :cry:

By the way... Have you decided about you pooches food yet?

Guest Anonymous

Hi,
I know you guys might think this is the worst dog food out there,but I have been using it even since I got my first rottweiler,and it has done nothing but wonders for my dogs,well here it goes..I feed my dogs Wal-Mart Maximum dog food..They just love it and do so good on it..I have never had any problams with bad teeth,unhealthy coats,bad breath or anything elese..I tell all my puppy people to feed it there dogs..

I did a test,I feed one dog Nutro and the other ones Maximum for 6 months,well it turns out the one on Nutro got sick and had to be in the vet for 2 weeks because she had problams with her intestines.I know it was the dog food that did it,because the bitch was 5 and had not been on any other food till then..And if you all are wondering why I did that,well everybody was telling me to switch to Nutro,well I did and I will never do it again..She is fine and has been put back on Wal-Mart Maximum,she is 10 now and happy and healthy as ever..Now see I would have saved on a huge vet bill if I would have not changed her food,needless to say it will be a cold day in hell when I do that again.. :evilbat:

I also notice with the Maximum dog food they don't tend to age as fast..Not one of my dogs has a single white hair on it's face,and my oldest dog is 10..My friend feeds Nutro and her dogs all have white hair on thier face..I have to laugh at her because it drives her crazy.. :evil:

The guy that invented that food started the chain of Wal-Mart stores(Sam Walton)and he bred hunting dogs,so you know it must be good,because he had some of the best hunting dogs at that time..I was also told by tuns of pet stores,that Wal-Mart brand dog food is at the top of the dog food chain right now because it is so good..

I would recommend anybody that is looking to try out a good food,try Wal-Mart food,it is AWESOME!..Go to my webpage,and you can see how good my dogs look.. 8) :agrue:

Guest Anonymous

I feed 50/50 Nutro Natural Choice puppy & Canidae (both from the US) to my 4 month old Cavalier. I do cook up his breakfasts of rice, veges, sardines & eggs. The dry kibble & Water is always available so he doesn't have to eat quickly in case it disappears. Steady growth, not overweight, good coat and plenty of energy. Seems to be working OK.
I have always fed a mix of complete foods just in case there is a problem with one or I can't get more when I need it.
Counted up the other day ~ he's the 10th dog I have brought up and the smallest. :) No I am not young but still wearing jeans.
Barf = Sick dogs ~ My opinion only.
Sue & Ashka.

I feed Canidae and am very happy with it. It has chicken, turkey, lamb, and fish. I only have one store near me that sells it, but I've ordered it too. There are a couple different places you can order food from.

[url]http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/[/url]

Waggin' Tails is the place I've used before:
[url]http://www.waggintails.com/index.epl?AnimalID=1[/url]

Guest Anonymous

Hello all,
I've been feeding my dogs Purina Dog chow, as for my two puppies it's been Purina Puppy Chow. The food was fine and I've never had any issues with it. I was doing some research awhile ago on dog foods and found out alot of interesting stuff on various sites. About a month and a half ago I started the switch to Purina's line of "Pro Plan" from Petsmart. I slowly switched them from chow to pro-plan. I'm currently feeding the Beef and Rice to my two adults, and the pups are getting their line of puppy food. I can already see the differences in their coats. They've gotten shiny! That's really the only difference I can tell with them. I chose Pro Plan because it's a more premium food, in the middle price range. Roughly $26 for a 40 pound bag compared to $15 for a 50 pound bag of Dog chow. Iams, Science Diet and the like are just too outrageous for me. I love my dogs and I just try to do my best for them. :D

• 5 weeks later...

Raider - I just switched from Pedigree to Canidae with my six month old Dobe pup. It is about the same price as the the brand you use except it is human grade ingredients and seems quite healthy when you read the tag.

I was wondering about the Diamond brand. I've never heard of it. How does it compare to Canidae? Has anyone used both and developed an opinion? I'm trying to get a food that makes my dogs coat shiny with no flakes and decreases the gas! He tends to be one stinky boy! :-? I almost hate to switch from the Canidae since the ingredient list seems so good and the price is reasonable.

I'm going to check out that Wal-Mart brand next time I go there. Maybe a half kibble half natural diet is the way to go, eh? :wink:

Does anyone supplement for coats with oil or flax seed or anything like that?

It is usually not recommended to mix kibble and raw. It is too difficult to know exactly how much of the nutrients they are getting. Unless you just feed mainly kibble and then use veggies for treats or give a raw bone once a week or so.

I have not heard good things about Diamond. Except for the one that is tauted as Natural. It is a personal decision though. You really need to educate yourself about ingredients, and read labels and make your own decision. [url]www.greatdanelady.com[/url] is a great site with good info. Even though the lady breeds danes she has done a lot of research on food that extrapolates to most breeds.