Dog Food...

Guest Anonymous

How important is the food you feed a puppy  

1. 1. How important is the food you feed a puppy

• Crucial
    • semi
    • not very
    • depends on the breed

:D I have siberian huskies and I feed nutro high energy dog food. Then with my puppies I feed them the Pro Plan chicken and rice formula. The adults of course get to eat some of the Pro Plan whatever the pups don't finish. When my female was nursing she ate the Eukanuba weaning diet food mixed with puppy milk replacer and she did excellant on it. It is kinda expensive $12 for a 6lb bag but I will definatly do it again. She nursed all the time until they were 3 weeks old and then 2-4 times a day until now and they are 6 weeks old and she has actually gained some weight and is about 3 lbs over her pregnancy weight. The vet said she looks great for having alitter nurse on her until 6 weeks old. Most dogs loos weight when they nurse not her and I think it was the food.

You can see some pictures of my babies at [url]http://community.webshots.com/user/snowdogs101[/url]

The most recent is of the puppies taken the day they turned 6 weeks. The vet said they were big for 6 weeks old too and he said that is good and it was due to her nursing them so long.

[quote=Mary's Mama]It is usually not recommended to mix kibble and raw. It is too difficult to know exactly how much of the nutrients they are getting. Unless you just feed mainly kibble and then use veggies for treats or give a raw bone once a week or so.
[/quote]

The other reason is that raw is meant to go through the intestines faster. Kibble is coated with fats and meant to sit and digest more slowly. When you mix the two, theoretically you are making the raw parts sit longer than they should in the digestive tract.

But I think once most people really go raw they'd never dream of touching kibble again anyway.