Dogomania

THE HALO IS OFF!!

Hobbit

We took Guy for his appointment this morning to A&M. His radiograph came out *wonderful*. The radius has grown back together nicely. The ulna isn't quite healed together, but looks good. His elbow is still intact and looks *excellent*!

So the [size=6][b][color=blue]HALO WAS TAKEN OFF! [/color][/b][/size]

We have to restrict his free play for another 3 weeks for the bones to become stronger ---- then he can resume NORMAL activity! I can hardly wait, probably not as much as he can hardly wait.

I will list the link to view the "after" pictures as soon as I download them.

Thanks again and again for all the well wishes, concern, questions and good thoughts.

Guest Anonymous

SUCH GOOD NEWS!!!

Guy must be just beeming with happiness!

So, did they have to put him under or sedate him to remove it? If so, you'll have to let us know how he reacts once he fully realizes it's off!

Very exciting! :angel:

You must keep us up on his progress, like a weekly status report!

:B-fly: :B-fly: :B-fly: :B-fly: :B-fly: :B-fly: :B-fly: :B-fly: :B-fly: :B-fly:

:lol:

Yes he was sedated thru it all (radiograph and the removal of the halo). He was pretty zonked when we left. About 2 hours later and 4 miles from the house, he stuck his head over the seat. When we arrived home, he was a maniac! He wants to blast 9-0. We must remain calm for 3 more weeks ..... then, it's let him go....supervised.....in an enclosed area....wearing bubble wrap....held together with duct tape. He still pretty much HATES the horses. It would be traumatic if he REBROKE that leg!

Now, we are working on some behavior problems. BARKING for one and he started "MARKING" yesterday. :roll: The drugs must have effected his comprehension and logic. :WTF: He is house broke. He was asleep and he woke up and thought, "Hum....I'm a man and MUST claim my territory". :gent: Last night, he marked his apple --- in front of me. He got in BIG trouble. So far, he has not marked anything after we got home.

[quote name='gigishiba']Oh the little booger!

Marking and barking. :shake: He's young. He'll learn not to "test" his dad.

Can he go eat with mom yet?[/quote]

They had snacks together. This evening, he went for a visit and they kissed and gossiped for a while. They are so cute together.

Marking and barking --- :lol: .

[quote name='yellowlabsrule']YEAH!
This'll sound dumb, but why did Guy have to have surgery? I never found out! :o :( Did the horses hurt him???? ???? ???[/quote]

Yes. It really....technically....wasn't their fault, sort of anyway. In August, Guy (only 12 wks old) followed me out to feed. He always stays right at my heels. I fed and was walking back with him gleefully hopping right behind me. Reggie and Soot (for what ever possessed them on that day) had snuck by behind me and turned the horses and they ran over Guy. I never saw Reggie or Soot, until I heard the horses --- as they dang near took me out, too. It happened too fast and I was not able to grab Guy. I have appologized to him since that day. And on any NORMAL day, the horses would have just looked at them and thumbed their nose. They are dog-broke. Meaning, they are not afraid of the dogs.

Guy was stepped on. It broke his scapula and radius (same leg). The vet pinned the scapula because it was a very fine hair line from being a compound fracture. It healed, as did the radius, beautifully.

The PROBLEM -- the trauma caused the growth plate to close prematurely on the ulna, thus; causing the leg to take on an angular deformity (banana shape). The radius continued to grow; the ulna did not. It also caused the elbow to be torn from the socket --- because the leg was twisting and pulling.

So, Dec 3. We decided to have surgery to repair the elbow and the leg. The leg had to be lengthened and straightened. During this time --- he grew an inch! It was almost beyond my realm of patience (with several things that happened after the surgery).

I am glad it is over. We are desperately trying to convince him to NOT jump off the back of the sofa. To use the floor when he walks. He wants to jump from thing, to thing, to thing......makes me crazy. He takes great delight in sailing from furniture to furniture and seeing me almost have a heart attack.

He must remain calm.....no jumping or harsh activity.....for 3 more (very long) weeks, until the bones are stable and hard enough to take the abuse that he intends on giving them.

It has been TOUGH convincing him that he can not run, stalk, herd or play rough.

Wonderful news, I am happy it has all turned out so well. :angel:

Re: my post I made under "radiographs"- has the leg regained colour now the halo is off?? (maybe it is a silly question but to me there was a marked difference in the colour of his affected leg to his other legs.)

[quote name='Hobbit']
Guy was stepped on. It broke his scapula and radius (same leg). The vet pinned the scapula because it was a very fine hair line from being a compound fracture. It healed, as did the radius, beautifully.
[/quote]

Wow, I had no idea. Poor little Guy....and how wonderful that he's doing so well!

[quote name='bk_blue']Wonderful news, I am happy it has all turned out so well. :angel:

Re: my post I made under "radiographs"- has the leg regained colour now the halo is off?? (maybe it is a silly question but to me there was a marked difference in the colour of his affected leg to his other legs.)[/quote]

Amazing the color difference --- caused by shaving his leg. Hope that didn't scar him for life >> you know, the other dogs seeing his leg shaved. :lol:

[quote name='Jacsmom']Alright Bubble Guy!! Or should I call him MarkMan!! :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Well, you can call him Ray, or you can call him Jay, or you can call him RJ....let's hope it's never, "Marks-a-lot".

Didn't rhyme, did it?...... :drinking: oh well.