Dogomania

Puppy Millers or Farmers.

Guest roo

Yep, that would make more sense, wouldn't it?

BUT, I have seen some sorry excuses of a hog and cattle operation. Some people just do not care about the animal. They are not going to take time to do things humanely or correctly. If you see how some small hog farmers treat their hogs and piglets....you'd have nightmares. Not to mention some of the Dairy farmers and their treatment of the bull calves and cows (in general).

[quote name='Hobbit']Yep, that would make more sense, wouldn't it?

BUT, I have seen some sorry excuses of a hog and cattle operation. Some people just do not care about the animal. They are not going to take time to do things humanely or correctly. If you see how some small hog farmers treat their hogs and piglets....you'd have nightmares. Not to mention some of the Dairy farmers and their treatment of the bull calves and cows (in general).[/quote]

Same with dogs but most who are really bad are not under USDA.If you think AKC has rules get a USDA handbook.AKC has a flyer, USDA has a book.

[quote name='TLCPETS'][quote name='Hobbit']Oh yeah, I am very much aware of USDA rules and reg's.

As far as AKC .... have nothing to do with them.[/quote]

Aren't they the ones who cover all the breeders USDA doesnt????
ROTFLMAO.[/quote]

They can promise who the sire was, but not the dam, or the health of the sire/dam.Can They?

Guest Anonymous

TLC, So please tell us all about all the good for dogdom that apr does? Do they donate money, time and effort to animal legislation? Do they donate money to health research? (AKC has the AKCCHF and donates millions to it for health research and pays the admin expenses for them so that all money donated goes strictly for research) And what kind of inspections does apr do? What kind of DNA testing does apr do to protect the integrity of their registry? Frequently used sires accounts for a large percentage of the sires of all litters being registered. That is why they started there. Go read the DNA committee findings on the AKC website. The AKC is heading towards having all having to be DNA'd. And there are many ways you can get discounts on the DNA testing. They send $5 coupons on the test to do a bitch. You can prepay for the test and save $5. At big dog shows, you can have it done for $30. I personally feel that $30 is not a big deal. Won't raise my prices because of a few more dollars in reg fees. Not that much money in my opinion. At least the AKC is trying to protect the integrity of the registry. Apr does nothing.

The way that "large" operation care for their dogs is that they usually have staff. Mills, I don't care how small or how big are "mills" becasue they don't keep a clean operation. Those large farms that keep clean housing, food, and actually care for the dogs, I would lable farms. Some farms have thousands of dogs, they drive around the set up in a golf cart. They have state of the art kennels, with self cleaning runs or at least easy to clean run set ups. They have everything organized and labled...they have staff to care for the dogs and puppies. Many puppy farmers have large families and every one partakes in the puppy raising. If you have ever seen a good farm operation, you would understand. Those farmers care about those animals, even the ones they are going to slaughter...the good farmers take care of their charges...same with puppy farms. Smaller puppy farms are usually kept at a scale where two to three people can do the work needed. Again...I don't agree with it...but that is society.

• 1 month later...

I think the AKC does a pretty good job, thank you very much. Their job is not to stop puppy mills... but preserve the full bred dog or something like that.

Organizations like the AKC get to much cr@p thrown their way. They can't do everything! That's why it's up to us dog-luvers out here to help put an end to all of this madness. Do the things that organizations can't. Put up flyers around town telling people about all the bad things that happen to dogs in puppy mills, what you'll get if you buy a dog from that oh-so-wonderful pet store, etc. Every person you meet that wants to buy a puppy, tell them where to go... the shelter. Not the pet stores. No, you will not ever stop puppy mills all by yourself... even a huge organization can't do that. But together if we all combine our efforts to reach out to people and drive people away from pet shops and puppy mills this maddness CAN be put to an end. Just little things can help. Go to pet stores that are over crowded with people just dying to get those cute little puppys in the window and loundly talk to your friend about how all of those puppys came from puppy mills, what puppy mills do with the money, that the dogs will all have health problems, etc. I've done it many a times.

Puppy mills are started by low living pieces of F*** that only cares about money... sometimes money to buy their precious drugs/alchohol. I mean think about it! If terrorists wanted more money all they'd have to do is start up a puppy mill and -shebang!!- there's the money for that bomb they're gonna put in the White House, or the plane tickets that they're gonna use to crash into another building.

OMG!!!!! I gotta stop... I can't breathe to well anymore.