Dogomania

Dogs temper changing ????

pawpaw

Hi everybody!

I dont know if anyone is still awake but my mom is having some trouble with her black lab Kiko. .. My mother just finished the 3 day move to here (Florida) And the only pet that seems to be having problems is Kiko. She is normally just a big squishy teddy bear and accepts ANY kind of animal as if it where her own baby (except birds and possums, she like to chase them..lol) But she is doing this real deep rolling chest growl at the other two dogs, and mimi.... she even snapped twice at one of the dogs. I know allot of animals have problems after a move, so we have been giving her LOTS of individual attention.
She has all her toys her bed and blankie ..EVERYTHING, she just wont stop being mean and protective of "her" stuff. any ideas ??? think it will pass? ( she is also just out of her 5th heat, she is FULL of milk, could this make her uncomfortable combined with the move? ) this behavior is REALLY strange for her, its just totaly out of her personality, and thats why we are so worried, If it doesnt pass in a few days i think we are going to the Vet.
Thank you so much for any help and suggestions!
~PawPaw~

[quote name='DogPaddle']Is she in heat or is she pregnent?[/quote]

No, and No lol.
She was in heat, its just that every time she comes out of it she "fills up" with milk. not just a little either she gets udders...lol ... ..... Today she was a little better tho, she was still growling a little bit but no snapping. My mother is starting to think that since Kiko is the biggest dog in the family, she kinda plays "mom/boss" to the others and from the move, she didnt know "how" to be boss/mom in the new place. i hope thats it, and nothing bad

Totally none of my business but, I'm going to ask anyway: if this dog lactates after a heat cycle, she is having a false pregnancy and is going thru EVERY emotion that a normal pregnant goes thru. Her hormones are that of a *normal pregnant bitch. Why on earth doesn't your mother have her spayed?? A false pregnancy is like a women carrying a child full term only to miscarry (in her mind). That is cruel to her emotionally and physically.

Guest Anonymous

It sounds to me that her behavior is indeed indicative of a false pregnancy, and her attendant behavior can all be attributed to that. Her guarding of objects is very typical of a bitch going through a false pregnancy. Her aggressive attitude towards the other dogs is again a common behavior for a bitch experiencing this.....her hormones are of course very out of wack. There is a simple and healthy solution....have this poor girl fixed! As Hobbit suggested, putting her through the emotional and physical upheaval that she is being subjected to is cruel to say the least. I am unsure why she has been allowed to go through 5 heat cycles if plans are not to have her bred. Aside from the whole ethical breeding issues, which I am sure others will address here or you can find elsewhere on this site, bitches who go through falsies each time they go through heat cycles are notoriously difficult to settle. My advice would be to spay this girl immediately before permanent damage is done to her temperament and health.

Later,
Trinity

If I remember correctly (I'm sure someone will be along to set me straight if I'm wrong), bitches who undergo these chemical changes resulting in false pregnancies are at a much greater risk of pyometra. What this would ultimately mean is that the bitch would end up having to have an emergency spay (if she survives) resulting in emergency fees, likely after hour fees and additional fees. Basically, that spay that would then be a life or death emergency surgery will be much more expensive (not to mention the imminent threat to the dog's life) than having the spay done now in a routine manner.

In other words, it is possible that this dog will ultimately HAVE to be spayed, but to wait could be much more costly, not to mention what the poor dog is going through now. Please have your mom take this into consideration.