Dogomania

Post Op update

Hobbit

[quote name='Carolk9s']Sending my heartfelt best wishes to Guy and his loving humans. Hope he will be ok and you will get through this without crashing yourself due to the worry. Hang on little Guy, lots of love coming your way.[/quote]

Thanks, it helps....really helps.

Guest Anonymous

Hey some of those Bostons scare me so tell Guy he is not alone!! :o

[quote]The Airlines won't ship an injured dog; so we'll just have to drive him to NC! [/quote]

Hey if they knew half of what some of those puppies they ship had!! So I drive him up!!

The Surgeon called a few minutes ago and said Guy was doing fine. And he personally done his physical therapy today. He said he done so good --- after he gave him LOTS of pain killer! :o Well, duh! Sometimes I wonder......

He wants us to leave him until Sunday and pick him up then (after more x-rays). He said he'd call tomorrow and we can decide then.

:drinking:

• 2 weeks later...

Connie --- sorry, I missed this completely.

We were supposed to be able to bring Guy home after the Emergency trip, but the Dr decided to keep him until Friday.

While there, he done some extensive therapy on Guy and radical adjustments > so severe that Guy was sedated thru both treatments. He also took x-rays. The growth plate on the Radius has now closed, indicating that he is thru growing (in theory -- the other leg was not x-rayed).

We picked him up on Friday and will continue the therapy and adjustments until the 31st. He goes back in for more x-rays and hopefully the adjustments are over. He will have to wear the halo until both bones heal (for about a month or two). Then, more x-rays. If everything looks good > the halo comes off and he'll wear a cast for about a month.

He has been a MANIAC since we brought him home on Friday. He will use ANY excuse to get outside. Then, he'll use any tactic, not limited to extreme begging and pleading, to stay outside --- especially when it's freezing cold, pouring down rain, hailing or at 5 in the morning!

He still is not using his leg. He will use it only if he's sedated to the point of NO FEELING, then he'll walk on it.

Guest Anonymous

Hobbit, it sounds as if Guy is at least feeling much better even if he's not using the leg. Do they want him using that let at this point after his emergency surgery, prior surgery, etc? Pardon the pun, but this wonderful Guy certainly has been through a lot and you have too, but I'm sure he will soon be doing really well under your fine care and love

The Dr's appt came out good yesterday (31st). The radius is growing together nicely, as is the ulna.

The Dr. said he wanted to pull one of the pins, but needed to consult with the Dr in North Carolina > he was off for the holidays. So, he decided not to pull the pin. He thought by pulling one of the pins near his ankle that maybe he'd start using the leg. They want him walking on it and by all practical purposes ... he should be walking on it.

He's still vomitting sometimes (totally out of the blue). The Dr. can't figure out why he's doing that. Hobbit used to do that when he was younger. And I had to feed him more often (like at 3am, then again at 7am, then again at noon, then again at 3pm.....well, you get the schedule). He produced too much stomach acid. So, I just started leaving food out and he ate free choice. He hasn't had a morning vomit in a long time, but this is off the topic. Guy would rather eat when one of the other dogs eats. I guess subconscienously (I know that isn't spelled right, speller isn't working this morning).....okay...... *in his mind* his misses his sister. They ate together, napped together and pretty much were best bud's. When you saw one, you saw the other. And as silly as this sounds, he still likes to have lunch with his mother. The eat, gossip, play with toys, roll around, take a nap together.....you know, all those motherly things.

The halo has to stay on for at least 3 more weeks to make sure the bones have adequate time to heal without ANY stress or trauma. Then......he's going to wear a bubble wrap cast for the REST OF HIS LIFE!

So, that's about it in a nutshell. HOPEFULLY, he will regain the full use of his leg. The way things went, that is my concern (not being able to use the leg after all this and all the pain and agony was in vain).

Only time will tell on that one. I promise to get pictures of the halo while it's still on his leg (haven't done that yet).

AND.....since we paid for the darn thing .... WE'RE KEEPING IT! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

:o The rest of his LIFE!!!! Okay one question.... Why?

I imagine with the pin out of his ankle he will use the leg he will use it.. Fingers are getting cramps from the crossing but still crossed :lol: !!

Thanks for the update Hobbit, I was wondering how Guy was coming along. I too am curious, why will he need to wear the bubble wrap cast forever? Is it flexible? Is it for support? Perhaps the meds Guy was on threw his stomach chemistry out of whack? Maybe he needs some yogurt or pepcid for a while?

Jacsmom, Carolk9's: I love you guys!! :lol: :lol: [size=2]...I was joking. [/size] :oops:

....um....bubble wrap so he won't do anything else to his leg. Remember he's been snake bit twice, caught his shoulder (same one he broke) on something, invisible to us, in the yard and tore a big gaping hole in it, has broken a toe (same leg he broke), loves to climb on top of the highest point in the house and wait until we look and dive off (as we are diving to catch him)!! :roll:

[quote name='Carolk9s']Thanks for the update Hobbit, I was wondering how Guy was coming along. I too am curious, why will he need to wear the bubble wrap cast forever? Is it flexible? Is it for support? Perhaps the meds Guy was on threw his stomach chemistry out of whack? Maybe he needs some yogurt or pepcid for a while?[/quote]

He started randomly vomitting after the first operation to fix the initial break in his leg (back in August). We've taken him now, to 2 different vets and can't seem to figure out why he does it.

You maybe right about the yogurt or pepcid. I'll try the yogurt first and see if that helps.

......hum.....I bet we have some old tires laying behind the barn. How about curb feelers!!? :lol:

The vet sent me digitalized radiographs via email. I will not attempt to post them, since most people get the dreaded [b][color=red]X[/color][/b]. I'll put them into a webshot album and post the address in a few days.

Thanks, he's having a wire removed today.

Something interesting, a paper was written on this very procedure in 1998; 7 dogs were used in the study; 6 out of the 7 dogs had complications! HINDSIGHT......... :-? BUT the conclusion was that ALL dogs made a total recovery.

I'm trying to get the radiograph's posted so you can see them. He made remarkable ..... lost my train of thougth ...... have no idea what I was going to say! Senile, I tell ya!

Guest Anonymous

Okay that makes you feel good--- The fact that since 1998 they still have complications... I thought we were suppose to progress not stay the same. :o
Urggg...

Guest Anonymous

Here is something else I think...(I do it so rarely :lol: ) I think that when a procedure like Guy's is used as a more or less guinea pig type thing or a learning procedure for the Ortho. surgeon or even a vet, it should be half price.
Yeah like that is ever going to happen!! :o

[quote name='Jacsmom']Here is something else I think...(I do it so rarely :lol: ) I think that when a procedure like Guy's is used as a more or less guinea pig type thing or a learning procedure for the Ortho. surgeon or even a vet, it should be half price.
Yeah like that is ever going to happen!! :o[/quote]

Half-price? Half-price?? What about FREE? Okay, that sounded a little white-trashish....lower price would have been nice.

Never, never, will we do this again. If this sort of thing ever happens again, the dog will get his leg fixed, but NOT with a halo.

Oh, the Vet's name in NC is Denis Little.