Dogomania

Is it possible...?

eggrolyn1223

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='eggrolyn1223']I asked my sister what she thought about spaying dogs at 8 months in Taiwan, and she said maybe dogs that were bred in Taiwan come in heat later than dogs in America....I don't think that's possible though...or is it?Aren't dogs all the same?[/quote]

I do not think there would be any difference. There is nothing that a breeder can do that would "put" off a bitch coming in heat for the first time( no pill, herb, or etc prior to the whelp of a litter). Whether it be in America, Taiwan, or Anartica. Different dogs go in heat at different times one may go into heat at 6 months another at 9 months. No two dogs are alike.

It depends on the breed of dog. Some larger dogs come into season at 6 months. BTW don't agree with the vet that a dog should have 1 heat before spaying, it increases the risk of mammary cancer. I thought those old ideas had phased out. Six months is a good age for spaying.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, we went for a checkup yesterday, and there was this other guy that gave me a detailed answer when I asked again.He said that her hormones would be more stable or something..and he said it would be best to let her come in heat for the first time, then get her spayed afterwards, so that the opening for the surgery wouldn't be that big.. :-?

Guest Anonymous

I realize you are in a different country, but I do think your vet (both of them) are 30 yrs. behind the times. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to let a dog go into heat UNLESS there is a medical problem and spaying should be delayed until the problem is clear.

Whether a dog has no heat cycle or 100 cycles makes no difference in the size of the incision. Did you see both of these vets in recent weeks?

I am going to wait until just before the 6 month mark to have Kimba spayed. She shouldn't hit her first heat before then.
I think everyone is correct when they say that the first heat theory has been extinguished in most areas.
Do what makes you feel comfortable!
Let us know what happens.

I think I'd rather see a bigger scar then get through all the troubles of her coming in heat :-? The vet also said that she could get fat if spayed too early(I KNOW that's not true), and when I told him it dogs have a lesser chance of getting cancer or something and he said there's no such thing as that.Mayeb I should get him to go to America and talk to some people there :P I think he would be a great vet/dog owner if he just got the right ideas from the right people.. :-? So...Duck is getting spayed at 6 months.And also microchipped too.