Dogomania

The Doberman

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Someone once said that the Doberman Pinscher is the "Cadillac" of dogs. Most people who have owned Dobermans will agree... There are many other good breeds of dogs... and then there are Dobermans... "the dog of dogs".

A Doberman is a affectionate animal, but his affection is noble. He wants to be close to you, to have your hand on his head, to rest his head on your lap, or to sit with his back to you pressing his body as close to yours as he possibly can. He owns you and he wants you to know that he enjoys this role. He is glad that you belong to him.

A Doberman is a lively dog with lots of speed, strength, and agility. He can run with a horse, maneuver quickly enough to catch a rabbit, track faster than a Bloodhound, tree a mountain lion, and beat you to your favorite chair every time - if you let him...

A Doberman is a very gentle dog with the firmness of Gibraltar... He will let a baby crawl all over him... He will take his six-year-old mistress walking to show her off and guide her with mature judgment... He knows that it is well to let a six-year-old have her way - unless it is dangerous...

A Doberman is a sensitive dog, keenly alert to your feelings and wishes... if someone visits you whom you don't like, watch the dog, for he will be watching your visitor. After he has been with you a few years, you will find that often you don't have to speak a wish. He will know and respond... You become a part of him and he becomes a part of you. The only tragic part of owning a Doberman is that part of you is buried with him when he dies...

A Doberman is useful. He was first bred as a guard and watchdog and he is the only dog that was originally bred for this purpose. No other breed excels him at this task. Many owe their lives to these great, sleek animals. No one will ever know how many attacks and robberies have been prevented because of the family Doberman...

The Doberman is a gentle dog. He guides the blind. One of the largest foundations specializing in guide dog work kept records on various breeds in training. They found that the Doberman had the best training record, the best record for "rejects", and the best record for continued devotion...

The Doberman is an obedient dog. Today, those who want a great performing dog in obedience trial work usually turn to Dobermans. As one top professional trainer and exhibitor says, "In obedience, a top working Doberman can be topped only by another Doberman. No other breed can compete for cleanliness, speed, and performance."

The Doberman is a magnificently beautiful animal. He is a square dog with ample body. He has a sleek dry coat with precise clean markings; a long, arched neck for balance and nobility, a dark eye, almond in shape and set fairly deep for appearance only. He is a dog with "built-in beauty". There is no such thing as an ugly Doberman.. some are closer to perfection than others, that is all...

The Doberman in pose is a noble and loving thing, but the most thrilling part of a Doberman's beauty is in action. He is an animal so natural you would think that evolution has been aimed at him, and yet the precise control of selected breeding of more than sixty years is what has crystallized his form and motion...

I thought this was an awesome description of the Doberman. Just thought I'd share it with all you other dog fans, especially the Dobie fans. :D

• 3 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I love Doberman's and I was thinking of getting one when I moved out now after reading this I sure want one it's so sad how people think they are really mean dogs all the time.....

Dobermans are great dogs. Such elegant movers, and tidy too! My grandparents always had a female spayed doberman. Each successive one was patient with kids, but alert to arrivals, and odd noises, etc. Very obedient with my grandfather, he was kind of a martinet! But very affectionate with my grandmother who provided all the daily care for each dog.

I only remember one specific female that turned out to be too high-strung for my then elderly grandmother to handle; she had to be returned to the breeder. My grandmother's last dog was Ginger-she was a lovely girl, but was sent to live with some distant relatives who I think got rid of her as soon as Grandma Hattie died! We were very upset! They showed up at the funeral saying that Ginger had gotten hit by a car on the very day Grandma died. It was all I could do to not call them liars to their faces!

Sorry I am rattling on...but I like this breed. There are a lot of good memories!