Dogomania

Which bones are safe?

Cheetah

Hey all, I'm Cheetah and i'm new to the forum (no, I don't have a dog named Cheetah, I just liked the sound of the name!) Anyways, I have a question about which bones are safe for dogs and which bones are not.
What brought this question on was that last night my dad was going to give my dog, Roxie, pork bones, saying that they were the "perfect bones for dogs". I wouldn't let him because i've heard tons of horror stories on bones splintering and getting lodged in the intestines, etc. He didn't really want to argue with me because well...i'm always right of course, lol :D And so he didn't insist on giving her the bones. Basically, I want to know which bones are safe and which are not. I already know that all poultry is out.

Thanks!
~Liz

I guess both raw and cooked, although we're more likely to feed cooked bones - why? is raw better? Also, one thing I forgot to add is sometimes my dad will warm up a turkey neck in the microwave and Roxie loves it! She hasn't had any problems with it yet, but could it potentially be dangerous for her?

Guest Anonymous

i go tothte local butcher, they give out free dog bones. they still have alot of meat on them and our dogs love them. they ask what size dog you have and give you a grocery bag full of bones for the size of the dog. hmm i think ill get some today i have to drive right past there lol

[quote name='Cheetah']Thanks - that's very good to know that cooked bones are dangerous for dogs. If it was up to me, I wouldn't feed my dog bones of any sort - just to be safe. However, my dad is harder to convince. But i'll tell him what you guys said and hopefully he will listen. :)[/quote]

Cheetah -- not trying to start any arguments, because this subject has been hashed over and over with GREAT debate. I just want you to know ALL the possibilities --- while at my vet's, in October, we were discussing the lodging of bones (feeding bones, accidential eating of bones, etc...). He showed me a hugh box full of x-ray's from dogs that were fed bones and the bones lodged in their digestive tract. He is totally against feeding dogs bones, cooked or raw.

Please, I didn't post this for any arguments. Some people can feed their dogs bones from now on with no problem. Others, aren't so lucky. I just think that all the possibilities should be known and posted.

Once in a while my dogs do get rawhide pieces. It is ONLY given while I am present. I have also heard of intestinal blockage being possible but I 'think' it is fairly rare. Brittany is a dedicated chewer, she methodically chews away her rawhide strip from one end to the other. Jesse loses interest after just a short time. Candy will slink around trying to find the 'right' spot for a good chew while keeping an eye on the other dogs.
One time Brittany did give me a scare, she had finished her rawhide-or so I thought. Every minute or so I would hear her give a little cough, nothing huge, nothing scary. After the 4-5th cough, I said come here you! Opened her mouth, there was a piece of rawhide stuck in her throat. She could not spit it out and could not swallow it. Kinda SCARY! I got the tweezers, opened her mouth again, VERY CAREFULLY reached in with said tweezers and pulled the rawhide upwards. It did not make it all the way out, she chomped down on it and happily started chewing again. Well, she also got it stuck again. The 2nd time I removed it from her throat it went in the trash.
I also give them the crunchy rawhide sticks, these disappear within seconds. I believe the pressed rawhide is much more sturdy and less of a danger AS A RULE.
To anyone who plans on giving their dog rawhide, I would just say watch them carefully, if the gnaw on it at a slow pace, they will probably be just fine. If they chew off chunks and swallow them, not good. So it sorta depends on the dog.

While we are on the subject of Bones.....i would just like to say that RAWHIDE bones/chews are dangerous to dogs.....they become very soggy once the dog as had a good chew which causes them to get lodged down there throat. I had this happen to my 3 year old Bullmastiff a couple of years ago while he was in the room with me....i watched him happily chewing away then all of a sudden he started to cough at the same time pawing at his mouth, i used the word (DROP IT) like i usually do but i could see there was a problem so i went over to him opened his mouth wide and there it was.....(trying to stay calm) i pulled the half that was just inside his mouth out followed by the rest that was down his throat.....after doing this i threw it straight in the bin and none of my dogs have had them since. A few months later i read in one of my Dog Magazines that another Bullmastiff had choked after he was given rawhide to go to bed with.....his owners found him the next morning gasping for breath but by the time they could do anything for the dog, he TRAGICALLY AND SADLY died!

SO PLEASE PLEASE FOR THE DOGS SAKE...DON'T GIVE RAWHIDE, IT ONLY TAKES A SECOND FOR THE DOG TO SWALLOW IT WHOLE....WHETHER IN THE ROOM OR NOT WITH YOUR DOG! IT MIGHT NOT HAPPEN THE FIRST COUPLE OF TIMES BUT IT IS A BIG RISK TO TAKE...AS I AND THOSE PEOPLE WHO LOST THERE BELOVED BULLMASTIFF FOUND OUT!!!!!

Guest Anonymous

Yes, my work "neighbor's" dog choked recently on rawhide. It's so much cheaper than pizzle, but more dangerous. My vet said only pizzle or greenies....

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Hobbit']Okay, I have to ask...what are greenies?[/quote]

I believe they are relatively new....here's what I got from their website
[url]http://www.kissablepets.com/[/url]

Well never mind that....It wont let me copy and paste!

It's a chew treat to help with bad breath.

Here is the product info link...
[url]http://www.kissablepets.com/html/product/product.html[/url]

My dogs have always eaten raw bones. Lily gets chicken necks every day, or turkey necks when they're available.
Also its a good idea to give your dog a large knucklebone or something once a week for their teeth, something they can only chew and not swallow.
I tend to avoid pork bones as they are too hard for the dogs teeth, plus pigs carry diseases and so pork shouldn't be fed raw.

Thanks for all the advice everyone - it seems the response is pretty unanimous that feeding cooked bones is bad. I'll be sure to pass all the info onto my dad and hopefully he'll listen. :) I've actually never fed my dog rawhide bones because i've heard all the problems that can happen because of it; however, I do give her the compressed rawhide sticks which she loves. Pig's ears every once in a while under supervision, and I throw out cow hoofs once they start to get too small. Thanks again. :)

hmm...I missed the second page, so maybe the response isn't totally "unanimous", but I'm still fairly well convinced that the smart thing to do is just avoid feeding cooked bones so that I don't even have to worry about problems like internal tears, choking, blockages, and all that fun stuff! :)

[quote name='gigishiba'][quote name='Hobbit']Okay, I have to ask...what are greenies?[/quote]

[url]http://www.kissablepets.com/html/product/product.html[/url][/quote]

Oooooohhhh, Okay. Isn't it funny how the name changes from State to State. I have seen something like this, but it's called something else (something that I can't remember right now :oops: ).

Thanks!! Boy, some of the kids COULD USE Greenies!! :wink:

[quote name='Shannon_C']My dogs have fruit like apples, pears with occasional cooked vegetables (never raw)...they also have dog treats and dental rasks.[/quote]
Why cooked? I always feed Lily pureed Veggies, she gets them every day with her necks - always raw. She thrives on it.

K, that disease sounds nasty! :o In future when I get bone's I'll have to specify 'no pork'... they've only given me pork once though, and that was in the last lot of bones I got from them.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Hobbit'][quote name='gigishiba'][quote name='Hobbit']Okay, I have to ask...what are greenies?[/quote]

[url]http://www.kissablepets.com/html/product/product.html[/url][/quote]

Oooooohhhh, Okay. Isn't it funny how the name changes from State to State. I have seen something like this, but it's called something else (something that I can't remember right now :oops: ).

Thanks!! Boy, some of the kids COULD USE Greenies!! :wink:[/quote]

No problem!

Ya, mine too! They are polishing off their pizzles and boy does that give them bad breath for a bit. OH YEAH....I forgot I have doggie breath mints. I need to give them each one. They come in a tin like Altoids! Very cute little dog bone shaped mints, for dogs! :lol:

Bones are kind of scary... I do not let Blitz have a bone unless I can watch him. He has on occasion had splinters (cooked, yes I know it's bad and that's why I don't do it anymore) bone lodged in his teeth ie. blocking his throat that we have had to get tweezers and pull out. He's been going fine on bones since he was little and has never had any health problems, so either the bones agree with him or he's got some horrid impaction waiting to happen.
I give him Dentabones sometimes, they clean his teeth and won't get stuck anywhere. :) They are expensive though and he demolishes a large one in about 30 seconds so he doesn't get them very often!
I have also heard many horror stories about rawhide. :(