Dogomania

Surgery

Hobbit

Guest Anonymous

Yeah those words are always great huh!! Well look on the bright side... He is breathing, out of surgery ...and coming home Friday where YOU yourself can take care of him...and your ulcers! :lol:

Surprised you did not asked if the Vet Tech knew exactly his weigh and how to admin. pain meds and antibiotics! (or did you??) :lol:

I will say that when Jacs pin was in he did not use his leg but hopped around because it was uncomfortable and his bones were still growing (even if the vet said they were not :roll: He grew 1 " taller with the pin in)..once it was out he used it more and uses it more everyday... I do not know if the halo will effect Guy in the same way but it might be worth asking about... :wink:

You are very welcome and give Guy loads of hugs!! :D
Hey a Pug will give him something to look at!! :lol: :lol:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Jacsmom']Yeah those words are always great huh!! Well look on the bright side... He is breathing, out of surgery ...and coming home Friday where YOU yourself can take care of him...and your ulcers! :lol:

Surprised you did not asked if the Vet Tech knew exactly his weigh and how to admin. pain meds and antibiotics! (or did you??) :lol:

I will say that when Jacs pin was in he did not use his leg but hopped around because it was uncomfortable and his bones were still growing (even if the vet said they were not :roll: He grew 1 " taller with the pin in)..once it was out he used it more and uses it more everyday... I do not know if the halo will effect Guy in the same way but it might be worth asking about... :wink:

You are very welcome and give Guy loads of hugs!! :D
Hey a Pug will give him something to look at!! :lol: :lol:[/quote]

I will be sleeping on a pallet on the floor with him when he comes home.

I KNOW the halo has to be painful, because there are wires criss crossed into and out of the bone holding the halo in place. I'm talking about holes drilled thru the bone, then wire threaded thru it to hold the halo in place. I kept telling the Dr that he will grow more --- he doesn't think he will --- HE WILL, he is ONLY 7 months old and every other Kelpie that we've had has not stopped growing until they were over a year old. But, he asured me that he has allowed for more growth. Okey dokey.

LOL --- yes, I did ask if the Tech weighed him. The Dr laughed. AND I asked if there was a restroom in Guy's room --- dead silence! I continued by saying, so ..... who will watch him while she takes a break? He said there are several Tech's in the intensive care unit.

I think I will be making the 2 hour trip to check on my Guy-boy on Wednesday. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Whew. Hobbit, I was getting worried since we hadn't heard from you. I am SO happy that everything has been positive. Not exactly what you wanted to hear, but not negative.

Your buddy will be so happy to see you when you go to visit. I'll bet that tail will be movin'!

He's young. He'll recover. We all have faith in him!

I offered you puppy valium before, now I can offer either Previcid or Protonix for your tummy problems! :lol:

Now I can sleep well. Thank you so much for the update...Two down, one to go (Connie's boy, Guy, and next is Perry).

Let's all either pray, cross fingers, rub the rabbit's foot, blow on our eyelashes, wish on the wish times (1:11, 2:22, 3:33, etc) or chant...what ever is your bag. We've gotten good results so far! Connie's boy must get BETTER, Guy has a long ways to go, and Perry hasn't even started. Positive energy.....we can do it!

Thanks Horsefeathers, that is very kind. Everyone has been so supportive and I appreciate it very much.

I feel the same for Perry --- wishing him total recovery for a long and happy life.

It's hard because we can't explain it to them like you can a child or an adult. Guy just went with the Tech and didn't make a fuss. He was so trusting and I'm not going to let anything happen to him; but I know that he must have pain medications. Hopefully, the witch doctor can help.

I must get to bed --- until tomorrow.....

The vet wants us to wait until he is out of the intensive care unit. So, I guess I will refrain from camping out at the hospital....at least for today. We are still discussing the post op pain management. I don't want him on Etogesic or Rimadyl.

As soon as I hear from the Dr this afternoon, I'll let you guys know what he said.

Now, the vet has decided to keep him until Wednesday or Thursday of NEXT week. He decided this because Guy won't use his leg. I stressed "won't" or "can't". He "seems" to think, "won't". They took some x-rays today and said everything looks good. He wants to take some more on Friday to make sure the elbow is healing properly.

Weather permitting --- we are taking a trip to see Maguyak ("Guy") on Friday.

Going tomorrow (Friday) to see my boy. The Tech just called and said his attitude was 100% better today and he wasn't as depressed. Well, he's feeling a little abandoned by us and has no idea why he's there without us. So, it's time to visit the boy. She said everything else looks good, so far. He still won't put any weight on the leg and they have started physical therapy. She said he never complained, just done everything they asked of him. He gets to sit in on their lectures and discussions after the rounds. She said everyone dotes on him and he really likes it. That has helped to improve his attitude, too.

I think that visiting will improve his attitude, too. I don't want him thinking that he has been abandoned (that breaks my heart).

He was elated to see us. We were elated to see him. We hugged and kissed and hugged and kissed. I miss the little feller.

The Tech said he has some drainage from one entry point and it's swelling, indicating the possibility of an infection. I got so angry that I wanted to hit her, the Surgeon, the wall, whatever or whoever! I had to leave the room momentarily --- I just broke down (not very masculine, huh?) and just could not regain my composer for a few minutes. I am angry because Guy had been thru so much for this to happen. She assured me that they have started him on antibiotics as a precautionary measure. The Dr didn't feel it was an infection (yet) but there was more drainage and swelling than he'd like to see. So, to make sure it didn't get infected, they are giving him antibiotics.

I can feel the impending doom with this. I told her in no certain terms were we bringing him home with an infection in his BONE! I worry more than an old woman. I know how serious an infection in the bone can be; can lead to amputation; worse case scenario --- death.

How did this happen? I kept asking her, trying not to scream or sound threatening or grab her around the throat. Did they not autoclave the instruments, the halo, the wire, the screws? Speaking of a total overwhelming feeling of being powerless --- I see the freight train coming, just can't make it stop or get off the tracks.

She said she'd check on him 2X's tomorrow. What? ONLY 2x's --- NO, I WANT HIM CHECKED ON SEVERAL TIMES TOMORROW AND WANT TO BE CALLED ON HIS PROGRESS. She said other tech's will be there checking on all of the patients. And she'll be there all day on Sunday.

I will be back up there on Monday!

Please keep Guy in your thoughts, he is going to need it. And thanks to everyone again for your thoughts and prayers --- it has really helped. This has been the longest week and it's getting longer and longer!

Fingers are still crossed Hobbit. :wink: I hope Guy gets better quickly!!! It's so hard when it's one of yours isn't it?! I tend to think that people who fuss over their dogs excessively were loony, but not anymore, I know if it was my dog in there having his leg rearranged I'd be a basket case! :angel: :drinking:

Guest Anonymous

Okay I am trying to keep calm here seeing how he is your boy and all BUT
[b]starting [/b] antibiotics!! :evil: Okay Guy went in Tuesday and then this showed more than likely Thursday evening... from the way it sounds.. What the *bleep* are they thinking... (breathe) And have they x-rayed again to be sure that the wires are not caught in a bind or dragging or anything...or that everything is in place as it should be? (breathe)

Now sense kicks in...drainage is normal as long as it is clear. Swelling as long as there is not alot of heat in the area.. Jac's area drained from using his leg..(poured fluid eventually) Swelled some put no heat around or in the area..

Okay I am sorry... I am sure that did not help :oops: Fingers are still crossed and I am sure he will be fine..He just needed to see his family!! :wink:

Ok, this is one of the disappearing and reappearing posts I'm still having from time to time. Go figure.

I'm certainly not a vet or any such, but I thought they routinely begin antibiotics immediately following any kind of major surgery instead of waiting for a potential problem to arise. I would think that, too, especially with a "foreign object" being introduced and affixed there. Of course, that's just me. I'm just surprised he wasn't started on antibiotics earlier, but then again, as I said, I'm certainly no vet. I'm kind of like (read a lot like) you in that I tend to be cynical. I totally understand where you're coming from and feel your frustration. I wish I knew what to say to make you feel better, but I'm too much like you in that I'd probably be hopping mad (read extremely concerned?), too. Big help I am, aye?

All that said, do try to step back and BREATHE. You are wound up tighter than an eight day clock (understandable), but understand that Guy will be able to sense your distress. Maybe this sounds hokey, but I believe that dogs who are deeply bonded to their owners (as is obviously the case here) are extensions of ourselves. They feel what we feel and our distress becomes their distress. Right now, Guy needs all the positive energy he can get to heal, so try to settle down a bit (for your sake as well). Believe me, I know your frustration and it's totally understandable. Still, I hate to see you so obviously distressed. Keep close tabs on him, keep these people on their toes and keep being willing to second guess when something doesn't seem "right" (that whole sixth sense thing, ya know?), but don't let it take a toll on you or Guy.

I'll keep you both in my thoughts and be sure to keep us updated.

[quote name='Jacsmom']Okay I am trying to keep calm here seeing how he is your boy and all BUT
[b]starting [/b] antibiotics!! :evil: Okay Guy went in Tuesday and then this showed more than likely Thursday evening... from the way it sounds.. What the *bleep* are they thinking... (breathe) And have they x-rayed again to be sure that the wires are not caught in a bind or dragging or anything...or that everything is in place as it should be? (breathe)

Now sense kicks in...drainage is normal as long as it is clear. Swelling as long as there is not alot of heat in the area.. Jac's area drained from using his leg..(poured fluid eventually) Swelled some put no heat around or in the area..

Okay I am sorry... I am sure that did not help :oops: Fingers are still crossed and I am sure he will be fine..He just needed to see his family!! :wink:[/quote]

No appology necessary ---- I said and reacted the SAME way!! Then settled down and thought rationally; the leg is trying to repair itself, so there will be a serum discharge. It's those little words that we hang up on, like: "Guy's leg has a discharge". NOT thinking of serum, I thought DISCHARGE as being a pussey, ozzing, infected mess! :oops: oh yeah, I said the same thing --- "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING....JUST STARTING ANTIBIOTICS!?!" Ooohhh, yeah. That's my boy in there, not "just a dog", but my best friend, my reason for getting up in the morning, my light at the end of a very long dark tunnel. I think she could tell that I was holding my composer as to NOT snap her head off. We talked a long time last night about Guy. She appologized for not telling me that his leg is cleaned everyday --- right after I asked if someone had forgotten to autoclave the instruments ---- !? And that she should have been more descriptive about the "discharge". I was and am concerned about an infection in the bone from the wires that are running thru it. They have taken several x-rays (radio-graphs) since the surgery on Tuesday. I'm still not convinced that he is doing "okay" as she says. He is scheduled to have more x-rays on Monday.

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']

....routinely begin antibiotics immediately following any kind of major surgery instead of waiting for a potential problem to arise. I would think that, too, especially with a "foreign object" being introduced and affixed there. Of course, that's just me. I'm just surprised he wasn't started on antibiotics earlier... I tend to be cynical....hopping mad (read extremely concerned?), too.

BREATHE... dogs who are deeply bonded to their owners (as is obviously the case here) are extensions of ourselves. They feel what we feel and our distress becomes their distress. [/quote]

We were told that he would be on antibiotics imediately after surgery --- hum...someone must have forgotten this.

Then, the tech said he's been in contact with an expert in North Carolina for advice ......... WHAT ADVICE? She was dead silent, then said that the Dr would be able to tell me more when he spoke to me. Okay, let me speak to him -- of course, he was unavailable; okay, have him to call me. He hasn't called (not that I was holding my breath). SO, MONDAY -- he will or someone with the title of DVM after their name will speak to me.

Cynical? You bet! I don't trust a soul out there, been taken and lied to too much.

You are right --- Guy can sense my (our) feelings and it's important to be happy, hopeful, and encouraging when around him. Happy thoughts, happy actions and tons of encouragement is what he needs. So, if I start getting the urge to smack the vet, we should step outside --- right?? :lol: :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I am assuming (oh that bad word :oops: ) that by NC they are referring to a DVM at the State University? Which would be excellent for Guy and you both! They are excellent there and extremely knowledgeable... Yeah ADVICE on what though and can I talk to the person in NC..Like NOW!

Okay Guy think sheep...okay maybe PUG!! :wink: