Dogomania

Doggie Depression???

Aroura

Tessa always looks sad, unless she's being fed, going for a walk or chasing a ball she's always got this 'woe is me' look on her face.
I try to hype her up by jumping around like a clown etc which normally works for most dogs, but Tessa just sits and looks at me like the world is against her. Occasionally she'll be happy and jump around and even give a little lick, but compared to all the other dogs I know it isn't often. Even with new people, alot of the time she'll go and just stand next to them for a pat rather than jumping around excitedly. Some people would say she's just well behaved, but why can't I make her misbehave occasionally? She'll never 'play' with you like most dogs, she wont get down for a tumble or anything and she's only 4 years old and a very fit and healthy dog.
Is there anything I can do to spark her up a little? Something I can add to her food or physical games that will make her want a cuddle? I'm sad that she seems sad :cry:

Guest Anonymous

I know of dogs on Prozac. Kika was on an antidepressant/antipsychotic as well for a month...but it didn't work quite as well as expected so we took her off it.

Prozac, I think thats what my brothers on for his schizzophrenia :o
Bk, its been going on for a long time. Our house is pretty unstable, mums always angry and screaming, Willem goes through his psycotic phases etc and Tessa always jumps the fence and runs away when any of this happens. Its like she's always worried we'll get angry at her, but I can't stop my mum from being angry or my brother being schizzophrenic.
What does prozac do for dogs?

I dunno, maybe she IS sick and just trying to hide it?

Cuz I was on this site about Goldens(ofcourse!) and it said that Goldens will mostly hide thier pain away from you so you won't be sad...

When Rowie had her spaying OP, although she was woosie(sp?) and groggy and stuff, she STILL triend to play, run around, kiss, and cuddle although she had stitches and was recovering from an OP AND was recovering from the anesethic(sp?)...... :D

Ya, I know Tessa isn't a Golden, but it was just a thought! :D

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='roo']If she has always been like that
then maybe thats just her.

maybe she feels put out by lily :-?

Roo[/quote]

That's what we decided with Kika...she's just that way!

Aroura as she always been like this ?
It sounds like she is more sensitive to noise than the other dogs, going by what you say about your mom always being angry and screaming etc.
She obviously thinks that she is being told off for no reason and this is whats upsetting her.
When raising a voice or screaming around animals especially dogs, they seem to think its at them. No matter what you do or say later you wont get a response because the dog is so confused to whats going on.
Look at it from the dogs point of view.
One minute its quiet the next its noisy, then it is quiet again, the dog gets a cuddle because you know something is wrong, (your dog is probably thinking one minute there shouting at me and the next there all over me).
She is no doubt confused and very distressed in all of this.

Is there a way that you could change things in your household....talk to your mom perhaps and tell her that all the shouting and screaming is frightening Tessa, and it must stop for your dogs sake....because unless it does, Tessa is always going to be a frightened little dog which is upsetting you.

I went through this with my mom, my dog was a nervous wreck he would not play or run round excited....but would just shake so bad that i would have to take him out to calm down, then some days he would run off all day then return late at night sitting on the doorstep, i would have no idea where he went but i was frantically worried that i would never see my dog again, well enough was enough i didnt want him to go through any more distress so i decided to leave home with him and i can tell you my dog as a new lease of life now...no more worries of mother arguing and ranting on...just a quiet relaxed place to live in, he as never been so happy and is so full of life.

I quite sure its nothing physical, she gets arthritis in winter from when she was hit by a car years ago, but aside from that she is fine and doesn't seem more upset in winter when the arthritis occasionally plays up than in summer when she is fine.

Egg, she's full of energy, she'd chase a ball all day if only someone would throw it all day for her!!!

Shannon, I think you're right. I moved out of home at the beggining of the year and she was fine. Everyday I'd have a dozen new visiters that she would met and bound around them with a ball.

When I first got Lily I think she did feel a little put out by her, but most of the time now days Tessa is the one who is always in the house so it can't be that.

Dad and I will be moving out sometime in the next few months, I think that may help things alot because dad and I havn't had a fight in about ten years and neither of us ever raise our voice. I don't know if Willem will come with us, she loves Willem but sometimes when he gets aggitated it really upsets her. Last night he wanted to kill Lily and was screaming at Tessa to eat Lily. I put the dogs in my room. Lets just hope things sort themself out when dad and I move out....

Thats good news Aroura.....i' m sure this will make Tessa very happy.
In the meantime would it be possible for you to take her out somewhere away from all the shouting and screaming, perhaps a friends house or maybe in your bedroom (as mentioned) with the radio or tv slightly high to shut out the noise of your mom screaming.

Dogs ears are not like humans, they can hear noises 100 times more than us. What sounds quiet to humans sounds louder in dogs!

Hope things improve :D