Dogomania

For those of you who have indoor/outdoor dogs....

corgilady

How much of the time are your dogs outside?

Mine have a new fence, so they can go out and play. They don't want to! Last night the Corgis were in for TWELVE hours, yet when I took them out they didn't even go pee; they sat at the gate waiting to come back in????

If I ~make~ them stay out, eventually they run/play/wrestle. They don't really do this inside; they're more likely to growl at each other, and lay around the house.

The other half of the story is, my neighbors (the ones who stole my fence in the first place, and then lied for months saying they'd put one up) HATE the dogs being out in the yard. The lady yelled at me that they had barked (that day they did bark, the two times they were out, around 9 am and 2 pm) . The couple yells at the dogs out there, so of course the dogs "yell" back. Today a delivery guy walked back there, he could see me at the gate, and no one barked at all! Hope the neighbors were watching then!

Well I just typed a very babbly story and erased it (K!!!) The bottom line is, it seems like the neighbors hate the dogs, and the dogs prefer indoors. But are they as healthy and will they get enough exercise, being herding dogs?????

in the summer the door is always open so they can go in and out as they like. there pen is right out side the back door. :P
but in the winter they only go outif they have to or they come to us and ask to.but they do go for there walks.i think its how you bring them up really because our dogs like to be buy the fire :wink: some are happier out side as i know my freinds dog hardly ever gose in the house. not the dogs choose i bet :wink: but me i think if you have them they should be part of the family. :D some of my freinds and family say i am to soft and dogs are made to be out side and i say would you like to be kept outside in a kennal :agrue: so every one to there own way i say

Guest Anonymous

We've got the doggy door so they can come and go as they please (fenced in yard) except at night time. Once we go to bed, they are locked in...oh, and on rainy days. Then they are locked in too.

My dog is a bit calmer (well, when we are here! :D ) inside, he just lounges around (right now he is snoozing at my feet). He's adapted to being an inside dog again very quickly, he already has a favourite spot in the loungeroom. He goes outside when we are not here for longer than 30 min, and at nights (now the fence is fixed). He just likes being with people, so wherever they are, he's like velcro beside them! 8)

[quote name='gigishiba']We've got the doggy door so they can come and go as they please (fenced in yard) except at night time. Once we go to bed, they are locked in...oh, and on rainy days. Then they are locked in too.[/quote]

DITTO! :D
I have to keep Candy in when it rains because she will go in/out in/out over and over. Plus she will roll around in the wet grass just because she likes to then want to run inside and roll on the bed! Hm, self bathing? :lol:

Hey Newfiemom- what is your reason for keeping your dogs inside when you're not home? Is it because you are afraid they might escape or afraid they may be stolen? I'm a little anxious to leave BK out when I'm not home now because of his escape (and return) yesterday... just wondering if you were keeping them in for the same reason or a different one. :)

Hey K, is the door leading outside a screen type door? Perhaps to solve the problem of the door getting left open you can put a tensioning bar at the top to pull the door closed automatically. Plus, to allow the dogs to come back in, nail or screw a hunk of rope or something similar to the outside of the door and teach the dogs to pull on the rope to open the door! :D

:( then you do have some very good reasons to keep them in Newfie and K (yeah, I think mine is dumb enough to go off with someone but who would breed from a mutt, cute as he is)... don't have to worry about bears here, and he doesn't look much like a kangaroo (not that they are in the inner suburbs like some people think!), too old to be used in a meat pie... every second house here has a dog (there is a really nice-looking tan Staffy a few doors up). BUT I worry about him getting out and not being so lucky second time round. :o
(right now he is having a dream of some sort, his front paw is doing a running motion... so cute... :wink: )

[color=blue]Bears....ahahahaha....hahah....haha....[/color] :lol:

well mine would not be mistaken as bears.....maybe foxes. The 2 little ones both -- BOTH!!! escaped out of the backyard today....it has rained and rained and they were insulted that I put them out I guess....come on, surely they hafta go SOMETIME! They went to....the front porch to ask to come in :lol:

Then of course the bigger one never comes when i call....stand in the rain begging dog to come in.... :evil:

Guest Anonymous

When I lived in the country, my lab was able to be outside by herself. She just loved it! She is not a clingy dog and was content to chew a bone, lay in the sun and watch the birds.

My rott, on the other hand, never wants to be without his family! He'd go out, do his business and race back up to the door, usually slamming right into it :roll:

Now we live in an apartment in town, they are never outside without me, and never without a leash.

[quote name='Jamie']
Now we live in an apartment in town, they are never outside without me, and never without a leash.[/quote]

I am in the same situation,but it works well for me as Loki is very much a "velcro dog" so even if we HAD a yard to let him out in,its likely he wouldn't go out without me anyways :roll: .He LOVES his walks though....and we try to get to the dogpark as often as possible.I'm actually very excited...I found out the other day that they are opening a new "PAW Playground" dogpark 5 minutes walk from my apartment! Complete with doggy water fountains and showers :D

Guest Anonymous

lucky!!!!!!!The government here would never even CONSIDER making a dog park!!!But there aren't any leash laws here.Everybody's dog just walks by the owner(I wonder how they do that, if they use negative training...maybe punishment if the dog doesn't follow?)and they are used to other people walking around them, so if you want a another dog, come to Taiwan and pick up a nice stray...you'll help them!!!!And you don't even have to train them!!They're all well behaved, would let anyone touch them...and they dont chew or bark or anything...weird huh?Duck is probably even more of a velcro dog then any of your dogs...except she doesn't always stick to me...she sticks to anybody else that she sees.. :wink: She's too friendly.THATS OK.She just HAs to go everywhere with me, even if it's just the next room....and I have to go outside with her or she won't go....sticky velcro :D :angel: She has to stay inside with me because our yard has an electronic garage door(because it's part-garage) and it's always opening(my grandparents, cousins, and aunt and uncle all live here.And there's the unpredictable kittens with their sharp claws.I haven't seen them in a long while....HMP...My grandma acually favors the cats over Duck..it's not fair for her....they're not even our pets....she gives them food everyday, and when I take Duck outside, she gets really mad when Duck wants to eat it(I don't let her eat it either, cuz there's ants all over...I mean the food has been there all day, OUTSIDE, so there qwould be ants), but Duck's a DOG, and a PIG, so she just wants to eat anything she can get her mouth on..