Dogomania

What are the best tools to use to groom a chow chow?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[color=indigo][/color]
I have a chow chow puppy that's a little over a year old. I've tried using a loop brush on her, and something that looks like a rake, with one row instead of two. I can brush her and brush her, and she looks like nothing's been done to her. I can barely get her to sit still when I brush her, especially when I do the area around her butt, as well as her tail. Any recommendations as far as brushes, combs, etc. would be appreciated, as well as suggestions on what to do when it comes to brushing places she hates having brushed. :D

MalloMar,

You will need the rake-like brush as well as the pin-like brush. As a matter of fact I bought nearly every brush on the market when I had a chow, trying to find the best one. :lol: I even tried a cat brush!
Also, don't ever let well-meaning friends talk you into shaving off the coat. Chows are double-coated and eventually you will ruin the coat if you shave it.
Good luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Actually *ahem*cough* a lot of groomers now do not try to demat a dirty coat. I, too, was taught that you did ALL brushing/prep work before the bath. Uh uh... not anymore. Almost everything I do goes straight into the tub first. Especially double coated breeds like Chows (if I groomed Chows... I don't, but we're talking about coat type here). A clean coat is MUCH easier to work on (assuming we aren't talking about something that is pelted to the bone... only one alternative there). Anyhoo, I just thought I'd offer a different perspective. Here's an article written by Barbara Bird (a well respected name in grooming) about dematting tips and techniques >> [url]http://w3.gorge.net/dynmyte/bbird/dematting.html[/url] . Trust me on this... dematting (if it MUST be done) and brushing out is best done on a clean, well conditioned coat. :)

Just one of those "to each his own" things and I used to think people were crazy, talking about plopping matted dogs right into the tub. I'll be doggoned if they weren't right.

Lol, Sasha, I consider it a badge of honor! I have been called Satan's Spawn, but I think I like Devil's Advocate better.:D

Yes, StarGaze, I do like Best Shot. The stuff is great. I don't use it for everyday use (I like ReFurbish and Coat Handler 'cos you can leave some of it in instead of having to rinse it all out), but it is indeed wonderful for those packed coats. These are the coats I am talking about... not the absolutely nasty, YUCKY things with dredlocks, maggots and old rusty fish hooks embedded in them (been there, done that, too :-? ) which I'm hoping the original poster doesn't have a problem with. I was speaking more of a packed undercoat. It is indeed possible to get them sparkling clean through even packed undercoats with a recirculating washer, but even a home groomer can rig up a power washer very cheaply that will blow through ANYTHING. Anything that's worse than that (packed undercoat) gets stripped in my little slice of groomer heaven, anyway. I have reached the point that I absolutely and adamantly refuse to put my equipment on a filthy, pelted, gritty, grimy coat (that becomes a vet tech shavedown... let them tear up THEIR equipment) and I refuse to put a dog through a torturous dematting session when the owners won't maintain it. Of course, now I digress. :oops:

Great to see another groomer type on board. I, too, have been washing dog butts and shaving weiners for a lifetime! Oh, what a glamorous job... :D

HF, Devil's Advocate Extraordinaire
:lying:

Horsefeatheres you are the only person in the world who could turn devils advocate into a badge of honor!

I wish I had read a thread like this before I went thru all that mess with Koda. Actually the girl at the shelter did help me bathe him before he left there. But he had enough dead matted hair on him for 3 dogs, and we didn't do a very good job. HE STUNK. maybe border collies have a b.o.? i think I read that somewhere. Anyway, i kept brushing and brushing.... so did the groomer..... TWO WEEKS of work and he finally cleaned up proper! And then he wasn't a sheltie any more, he was a bc.... :roll: So the moral of the story must be <drumroll, please> IF YOU DON'T GROOM YOUR DOG RIGHT, HE WILL MORPH INTO ANOTHER BREED.

right? :D You can tell I am up past my bedtime; getting silly.