Dogomania

Pet cloning

science_doc

Would you clone a deceased pet?  

1. 1. Would you clone a deceased pet?

Okay guys and gals,

I have an opinion on the subject, but don't want to spoil the replys of others with my thoughts. I am posting this to get an idea about how the general pet owning public feels about cloning. I can tell you the cost proposed by the companies who will perform these services are in the 1000's and the anticipated date for general practical availabilty was quoted at about 3 years from now. PLEASE lets not get rude and just share our thoughts. As a scientist I am always curious to know what the general public thinks about the crazy stuff we do :P :lol: :roll:

Guest Anonymous

I still find cloning anything a bit disturbing. I think it's great for the medical field, cloning hearts and lungs and other body parts as they seem to be trying to do, but a whole animal... I love science, I love to see what it can do... but I just don't know.
How would you feel if you accidentally bumped into yourself one day... :o

I'm in total agreement with newfiemom on this one....it wouldn't really BE the same dog (personalitywise) so why bother???
Now in the same respect, if it was a SHOWDOG that had perfect conformation according to the breed standard, I guess there WOULD be a definate benefit to cloning....but wouldn't that essentially be considered cheating??? :-?

Anyhow, I voted No

i voted no. i was thinking about the four year old i lost. could not go though all that again. she would have been what they would want to see if next time she could be saved from kidney failure. it still would not be right to put an animal through all that again. there must be another way to do research. even if you have an old animal it would not be right the new puppy should be loved for its self. not because its a copy of the one you have just lost or :cry: are about to lose :cry:

Guest Anonymous

No, i wouldn't clone my dog if she died. No matter what she wouldn't be the same, and she would probably end up with some weird diseases or something. It's just to unnatural.

this is an old one but I missed it so I'm gonna bring it back up

I'm gonna play devil's advocate on this one and say yes,
if I was a breeder that was trying to improve my breed or undue what other bad breeders have done to it I think cloning is a great tool and one that we could use to fix opinions of people on pit bulls and other contraversy dogs

but I think cloning a pet is weak, because by cloning a new one your killing the one in the rescue that you should have picked up

No, You might get a look-alike, but to me the memories are of the things you did together, the places you went and the reactions to situations and those are individual to each dog. I've had a few really top winning show dogs over the years but again would not clone as the enjoyment of showing for me is to bring along a pup with potential to the top and having a clone would take away all those hopeful expectations. Even on the breeding side, I guess there might be some advantages, but who wants life to have no surprizes!

I guess I can look at it like, for instance the Dogo/Presa canario, for the next 10 years these dogs will be bought because they are "killers" and bred to make them "meaner" this will be done in back yards and trailers all over america. this hurts the breed and eventually someone will have to clean up, and I feel being able to clone that one good dog and have it make good babies would be beneficial for the breed

Deep. I love your optomism of the ideal world! But I think you would have to keep the DNA (is that what they clone from?) until a species of human? were 'uncloned'. It's hard to see what future some breeds have due to the ignorance and cruelty which seems rife in some parts. We all sound off on this and other places but sometimes I feel we are preaching to the converted. It's a shame the only dog news in the media is bad news slanted at the dog and not going into more background re the owner and treatment of said dog. Hope this makes sense, I get so mad about the usually one-sided view of all these stories :evil: No-one ever mentions to me about a dog biting a child, they know my first question is 'what did the child do to the dog?' There's always two sides to every story. There I'll put my soapbox away. Have a nice day :D

Guest Anonymous

I voted no for all of the reasons and then I do not believe in playing with fire or in playing God....because I have this theory about getting burned!!!

You think about it we as Americans get this cloning thing down and profect it...then someone (bad guy) within America decides someone will pay me money for this..and tada it is being used against us in some way or another..

Just my .05!! :wink:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I would not clone my dog for a few reasons.
1.A shelter dog could die because I was selfish.
2.The dog, having a different environment and a more mature trainer (older me) would not grow up the same way, and would be a different dog anyways.
3.There is no proof that the dog wouldn't just die ode day, because it's a clone.
4.I'm sure there are more reasons why it shouldn't be done, but I am tired and my brain is working half-speed to conserve on battery life.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...