1. 1. What do you feed your dog?

• Dry dog food (kibble)
    • Canned dog food
    • BARF
    • Homemade cooked diet
    • Table scraps
    • Other

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='shorty']There seems to be alot more people feeding their dogs homemade diets these days. What do you feed your dog?
Thanks, Wendy

[url]http://www.mydogsite.com[/url][/quote]

Bil Jac Select dry
Pedigree Canned
Table Scraps (including veggies starches and meats) in small portions
Training Treats beef jerky type
Prime Rib Bones (I LOVE that restaurant that gives me 20 ribs at a time to take home for the fur kids)
Smoked beef bones - dinosaur size or knuckles
Pig Ears
Compressed Rawhides

Hey! my diet isn't that full of treats! :wink: :roll:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='candybug2002']Hills science diet puppy for Lucy
Ol' roy For Freckles[/quote]
Just an FYI neither food is a very good quality one and the Roy product has been known to cause skin problems in some dogs. but of course YMMV

Right now Shorty is on a diet. :oops: He is eats Royal Canin Holistic kibble, green beans (no salt), low fat vanilla yogurt,and baby carrots. He gets 2 small treats a day which are Aunt Jenis natural homemade dog biscuits. The weight is coming off slowly just like his Vet recomended. He was not extreamly over weight,but I wanted to make sure he stays fit and healthy. :D I am also reading up on homemade natural diets for him.
Wendy

Guest Anonymous

I've recently started making my own dog dinners. A beef heart heart stew with carrots, celery, brown rice, garlic, sea salt, parsley, and some other stuff thrown in, liver,sometimes. Anyway, it's turning out to be alot cheaper than buying dog food for 6 med to lg dogs!

Guest Anonymous

I feed my dogs solid gold adult food, flint river ranch with chicken hamburger carrots parsley. soon to be only solid gold adult food:o

Last night in puppy class, the subject of dog food came up. Thanks to this site (yaaay! :D ) I knew a lot about the ingredients....when I started talking the teacher started trying to shut me up... :wink:

She works for a pet store. Anyway I just said get on the internet and look it up. I am still debating whether to commit to a BARF diet....$$$ and time commitment....so here's what they get right now:

Purina One dry
Nutro max canned (for the puppy, one can a day in addition to the dry)
one hot dog apiece, cut up and tossed into their pool ("dive for hot dogs")
liver treats
table scraps
one hamburger per dog per day

***no they aren't spoiled!***

Guest Anonymous

Hazel is currently on Iams but I am thinking about "Natural Balance". It has more meat and better ingredients, and it's cheeper! It's also found in feed stores, which makes it easier when I move to find it... what do you think of this stuff?
She also get the occasional table scrap, as she cleans the floor under the dining table where the kids eat, yum food droppers! I also feed her apples, carrots, and the occasional hot dog for a working treat. She'll do *anything* for a hotdog! (funny thing, koko wouldn't touch a hot dog...) :roll: [/i]

Smooshie, I would go ahead and make that switch to OMH Wellness (or 3 Dog Bakery, or Solid Gold, or something similar). I was once considering Nutro as an alternative to the Wellness I am feeding only because it is so much more widely available (I have to order the Wellness and I can buy the Nutro just about anywhere). Imagine how disappointed I was to find that Nutro is also on the list of foods found to contain pentobarbital (the drug used to euthanize animals). :(

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']Imagine how disappointed I was to find that Nutro is also on the list of foods found to contain pentobarbital (the drug used to euthanize animals). :([/quote]

Where can I find a copy of this list? I would hate to feed my sweet dog pentobarbital. I can only imagine how you felt when you found out.

Thanks
SL

Guest Anonymous

I feed my two dogs Pro Plan, I did think of trying Bil Jac and they loved it and the results were great but its a wee bit out of my budget right now.

I had a question about that BARF diet, do you give them raw meat or cook it a little first?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='sashagirl']It's raw Beagle.[/quote]

Are you sure you don't even heat up a skillet and cook it a little? Because to kill anything dangerous? I was just wondering and would like to start giving my dogs a raw egg once a week and then raw (or cooked slietly) once a week.

Guest Anonymous

Hmmm... just because I will be such a worried freak that my dogs will get something I will cook it just a little to kill ANY bacteria. But I will not cook it to much.

[quote name='Anonymous']I've recently started making my own dog dinners. A beef heart heart stew with carrots, celery, brown rice, garlic, sea salt, parsley, and some other stuff thrown in, liver,sometimes. Anyway, it's turning out to be alot cheaper than buying dog food for 6 med to lg dogs![/quote]

Sounds good guest, although you may want to add some muscle meat - offal is good to supplement but you must use at least half muscle meat or the diet may be too rich.

I have fed BARF for the past month and the dogs have never looked better, all though my wallet has never looked worse :-?

Beagle, the meat is usually fed raw. If you are worried then cook it only very slightly so it is still mostly raw. If you are feeding chicken necks don't cook them, rather soak them in boiling water for a few seconds. :wink: