Dogomania

Largest breed?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Largest weight wise would proubly be the Mastiff or also called the Old English Mastiff

Now height wise it would be the Irish Wolfhound

Guest Anonymous

Have you ever seen a good sized Mastiff? They are huge and fat. But then with Irish Wolfhounds they are tall and lean so they would not even weigh as much... nope I would say the Mastiff overweighs the Saint any day.

A Bulldog can weigh more than a GSD....

• 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous

It is Kangal dog ( Black masked shepherd dog of Turkey)for sure. It is huge and taller than Saint bernard and mastiff . I have 1 and it weighs 102 kg (225 pounds!!! 'ovoirdupois') and 1 meter tall ( 3'2 feet) !!!

Kagal Dog Breed Standerd
from [url]http://www.turkishdogs.com/kangal/standard.html[/url]
HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
Desirable height at maturity (minimum, two years), measured at the withers ranges from 30 to 32 inches for males and 28-30 inches for females. A male Kangal Dog in good condition should weigh between 110 and 145 pounds. A female should weigh between 90 and 120 pounds. Height and weight in both sexes may exceed the foregoing and should not be penalized as long as overall balance is maintained.
Fault: Obese, soft condition.

Mastiff Breed Standerd
from [url]http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/mastif.cfm[/url]
Size, Proposition, Substance
Size--Dogs, minimum, 30 inches at the shoulder. Bitches, minimum, 27

Guest Anonymous

That depends on if you mean individuals or as a general rule..

Height wise: the irish wolfhound is a bigger breed but the largest individual was a great dane.

weight wise: THe saint bernard is the heaviest on average but the heaviest individual was a English mastiff but the heaviest living dog is a Neopolitan Mastiff.

Yeah the Old english Mastiff is certainly the heavyweight of the doggy world. I was helping my friend in Fife run her parents kennels and cattery a few summers back and we had a big mastiff called Homer in. He was short haired apart from this wee silly tuft on his head that made him look so soft hehe. He was a monster though when he decided to play rough, and had me down on the ground one day and it took my friends brother and her to drag him off me, the big lig!

[quote=ROTT'N'PIT] but the heaviest living dog is a Neopolitan Mastiff.[/quote]

Now I'd love to see a photo of that dog!!! I'm going to get a Neo one day, got it all planned out, even emailed a few breeders about it... though that wont be for a long time yet!

I realised this was an old post when I saw it - I thought funny that, what is that post doing back here? Then when I saw beagle I realised exactly how old it was! :lol:

:o :o :o :o :o :o
Well in last years guiness book of records it was the ENGLISH MASTIFF
a bitch :lol:
why not check the web site out for the GBRecords..............................
But a neo.............. should never ever way more than a eng mastiff unless it is totally obese :oops:

OK yes old post to start with. lets all get searching :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Here is an article on Kell:
[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/443886.stm[/url]
and here is Hercules:
[url]http://www.dogsinthenews.com/issues/0106/articles/010609a.htm[/url]

Guest Anonymous

I dont think this is right. the first article show a pic ture of Kell and the second one shows a picture of a Neo say that that is kell. Okay Lets just say that the largest IS an english mastiff.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

tallest not largest.
the largest dog is based on height and weight combined.
the tallest dog ever was a great dane but because the mastiffs can be considerably shorter and still out weight them the mastiffs are larger.

the tallest breed on average is the irish wolfhound,
much like te heaviest breed on average is the Saint.