Dogomania

The History of a breed

Guest roo

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']I think you are all puppy millers. WHY DO YOU NEED THE LITTER SIZE? what else would you need the litter size for?[/quote]\

Guest, there is no NEED for litter size. Just curiosity.

You are as bad as those who immediately condemn pitts.....prejudice. You are too busy pre-judging people to realize that some times WE JUST WANT TO KNOW information on a breed and are NOT going to put that information to ill use.

I'm sorry you can't see past that.

Ooohhhh, I can't believe this whole thread started with Lhasa Apsos. It just only happens to be my most favoritest breed in the geegolly whoooooole wide world. I adore them. They aren't just the cute, fuzzledy happy dogs that similar looking Shih Tzus are, but do tend to be a bit stand-offish and pick and choose their friends carefully. They should not be openly snappy and antagonistic, but should, instead, be wary of strangers and aware of their environment. Unfortunately, as with any breed that gains popularity, they are being mass produced and poorly bred so that many Lhasas are indeed snappy and aggressive. That's poor breeding and should not be typical of the breed. Cynical and wary, yes, but not outright snappy. How sad to have that happen to such a wonderful breed. They make excellent inside watch dogs as they are very alert and have an unbelievably keen sense of hearing. They are quick to sound the alarm at the first sign that something isn't quite right. I saw someone mention that they originated in Tibet, but did you know they were originally used as indoor palace guards? Of course, that's if anything got past the Tibetan Mastiffs that were outside! They were also believed by the monks of Tibet to be able to carry the souls of the deceased. Religious rituals included Lhasas. They were given as gifts to royalty (I believe). They are also known to have an amazing lifespan and live to a very ripe ol' age.

I have eight dogs including two Lhasa Apsos... one in a short clip and one in full coat. They do require very diligent grooming. I don't show them, or breed them (they are not show quality dogs, anyway). They are strictly companions (both spayed and neutered, of course, but then so are ALL my dogs :D ). I'm just so tickled that this thread recognized my favorite breed... what a pick-me-up for such a rotten couple of days I've had.
8)

Sorry to weigh in so late on the Lhasa thing, but I just saw this thread. :oops:

Here's my Lhasa girl!

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwAAABUa3KYEC!izW5p9mWZ8v*F8I!pJ6IUaOE*GiipVu7RhniHyI2D7v5LjJpZQqh4XYV37uxXHYuMK4xNWA2SGCN1qKblsiWTbwiLS!Lw/Missyagain.jpg[/img]

ok been to the breeds section, an aberdeen is a scottish terrier, so that can wait till s.
we will go from the breeds list alphabetically, one A then one B etc
So we will start with the

Affenpincher

Ok off you go.

Roo.

How about searching for websites about this breed
?
or find a breed standard for them

that will tell you a bit about the characteristics of the breed
and about the temperament,
also it will tell you its size, how it swhould look and move.

You will have to search some more to find hereditary problems.

Have fun.

Roo

~ AFFENPINSCHER ~ " Monkey Terrier"

Description: Affenpinschers are the smallest of the pinschers and schnauzers. They are a well balanced, little, wiry-haired terrier-like toy dog whose intelligence and demeanor make them a good house pet. A comical face earned them their name. In Germany the name means "monkey-like terrier." In France the Affenpinscher is described as the "diablotin moustachu" or the "moustached little devil." Extremely intelligent and affection with people their naturally scruffy-looks makes them appealing.

Height: 10 inches
Weight: 7 - 8 lbs.

Colors: Preferable black, but gray shading is permissible.
Coat: Rough and thick.

Temperament: Alert, quite, inquisitive and non-argumentative.
With Children: Yes, will get along well with children but is not recommended for families with small children.
With Pets: Yes
Special Skills: Vermin destroyer, watchdog, and family pet.

Watch-dog: Very High
Guard-dog: Very Low

Care and Exercise: Brushing two to three times a week. Ear, tooth, and nail care are required weekly. Requires very little exercise. Walks or access to a secured yard where he can play for hours.
Training: Obedience training should begin at a very early age.
Learning Rate: Medium - High

Activity: Very High
Living Environment: Apartment or country, great companion for people with limited physical activity.

Health Issues: Usually very healthy. Good grooming will prevent skin and coat problems. He has fine bones and should never jump off of furniture. Special care for his teeth. Susceptible to eye ulcers and infections.

Life Span: 10 - 12 Years
Litter Size: 2 - 3

Country of Origin: Germany
History: Little is know about the origins of the Affenpinschers. He can be traced back to the 1600, though some say he is an ancestor of the Brussels Griffon. He was once a prized possession of royalty and made his way into a few paintings by Old Masters.

First Registered by the AKC: 1936
AKC Group: Toy Group
Class: Toy
Registries: AKC, ANKC, CKC, FCI (Group 2), KC,(GB), UKC

Owning
The Affenpinscher requires firm but loving guidance, for it can be obstinate. The Affenpinscher's coat should be brushed several times a week. It is relatively easy to learn how to trim the dog around the feet, ears, and tail with scissors to keep him looking neat. The Affenpinscher is an alert, fearless and inquisitive dog.

Did You Know
The Affenpinscher is one of the most ancient of Toy dogs & originated in Europe. They are characterized by their monkeyish expression. The Affenpinscher shows great loyalty and affection toward its masters and friends. The Affenpinscher was admitted to the American Kennel Club's Stud Book in 1936.

ok heres a bit more.
Bite: should be slightly undershot,
tongue should not protrude.
Birth weight: 3 to 5 oz
common to caesareans.
Average litter 3 (sorry guest)
congenital faults.
cleft palate,waterlogged puppies,patella luxation.

I will see what else i can find later

Roo

Guest Anonymous

"Frequently Asked Aquestions
Affen-What?
Affenpinscher (af-en-pin-cher)
Do they come in colors other than black?
Yes. Affens can be black, silver, greay, black and tan, or red.
Do they require alot of grooming?
Ideally, no. The coat is a wirey, terrier-type that does not require frequent brushing or bathing. However, they do need to be "stripped" to maintain a healthy coat. This is an easy skill to master. It involves pulling the dead, dull hair out...leaving shiny new hair behind. The more dilligent you are about keeping your Affen stripped, the less shedding you'll have to deal with.
How are they with children?
Depends. I have an Affen who loves children, and another who is less than fond of them. I think it depends on what they were raised with, and possibly if they've had a bad experience. (i.e. being dropped by a child)
C'mon, they're a Toy dog. How sturdy could they be?
Very. Affens are a medium boned breed, and very sturdy. Not to say you should encourage heavy rough-housing, but a few tumbles never stopped a determined Affen."

Another quote from the same site.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='gigishiba']"Frequently Asked Aquestions
Affen-What?
Ideally, no. The coat is a wirey, terrier-type that does not require frequent brushing or bathing. However, they do need to be "stripped" to maintain a healthy coat. This is an easy skill to master. It involves pulling the dead, dull hair out...leaving shiny new hair behind. The more dilligent you are about keeping your Affen stripped, the less shedding you'll have to deal with.
Depends. I have an Affen who loves children, and another who is less than fond of them. I think it depends on what they were raised with, and possibly if they've had a bad experience. (i.e. being dropped by a child)
Very. Affens are a medium boned breed, and very sturdy. Not to say you should encourage heavy rough-housing, but a few tumbles never stopped a determined Affen."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/quote]

You do know its not polite to rip information off of a site without listing the site and crediting the author? Not to mention its probably copyright infringement?
Plus be very careful about believing the standards information is true of a whole breed as its really only a description of an ideal and just like those 35 pound Poms I've seen there are 25 pound Affenpinschers !
And one more thing there is no such thing as a 'hypoallergenic' dog.
Oh and anasarca is not a problem in this particular breed despite the listing copied but hip displasia is a serious problem. When you have an odd breed I think you bone up on other odd breeds just to be able to talk with other owners ;-)
And the breed needs LOTS of exercise and is very active based on the show ones I have met.
Don't believe everything you read on the net about a breed - people put absolute hogwash up on the net using information stolen from books that are completely idiotic written by people who have never seen many of the breeds they write about never mind ever speaking to a breeder or owner of the breed! :roll:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous'][quote name='gigishiba']"Frequently Asked Aquestions
Affen-What?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/quote]

You do know its not polite to rip information off of a site without listing the site and crediting the author? Not to mention its probably copyright infringement?
Plus be very careful about believing the standards information is true of a whole breed as its really only a description of an ideal and just like those 35 pound Poms I've seen there are 25 pound Affenpinschers !
And one more thing there is no such thing as a 'hypoallergenic' dog.
Oh and anasarca is not a problem in this particular breed despite the listing copied but hip displasia is a serious problem. When you have an odd breed I think you bone up on other odd breeds just to be able to talk with other owners ;-)
And the breed needs LOTS of exercise and is very active based on the show ones I have met.
Don't believe everything you read on the net about a breed - people put absolute hogwash up on the net using information stolen from books that are completely idiotic written by people who have never seen many of the breeds they write about never mind ever speaking to a breeder or owner of the breed! :roll:[/quote]

Kimberly Andresen author
[url]http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/breeds/affenpinschers.html[/url]

Happy now? :evil:

No, I don't believe everything I read on the net. I was just adding information I found on the net about the breed, which is what this topic is about. I know nothing about this breed, there for am not a resource for info. When I want info on a breed, I check the AKC website first, and then go from there....but it doesn't mean I believe everything I read.

Sorry, I just don't take it lightly when someone says the things you did to me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has copy and pasted things from other sites.....with out the web address and authors name.

Guest Anonymous

[b][i]Affenpinscher

Anasarca
"Walrus" or "Rubber" puppies
Cleft Palate
Median fissures due to non-closure of bones.
Environmental and/or genetic factors may be involved
Cushing's disease
Hyperadrenalcorticism
Elongated Soft Palate
Keratoconjunctivitis sicca
Dry eye
Decreased tear production
Legg-Perthes disease
Avascular necrosis of the femoral head.
Oligodontia
Missing teeth
Patella luxation
Medial or lateral
Most common are medial, accompanied by tibial rotation on the long axis, bending of the distal end of the femoral shaft and shallow femoral trochlea.
Lameness at 4-6 months of age
Proposed are recessive polygenic and multi-focal inheritance
Patent ductus arteriosus
Persistence and non-closure of ductus arteriosus between aorta and pulmonary artery with left to right shunt [/i][/b]

Here is the link to the above information
[url]www.Petdoc.ws[/url]
If you want to write this person and disagree with him or add to his list guest he has an email link also on the page. However I have found several places and information on Affens. and Hip dysplasia..