Dogomania

The History of a breed

Guest roo

Guest Anonymous

Guest you need not be so rude and harsh.. I am sure most people have seen an overweight or 'large' dog before.. I am sure you are not the know all of dogs nor am I or anyone else for that matter. :wink: This is just a General information topic.. It is not meant for any other reason. Everyone else is finding this rather enjoyable but yourself. If you do not like the information do not read it..Surely you are able to look over a post, we are adults. If you have something informing..share it..Share your knowledge not your sarcasm and rudeness please.. :roll:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jacsmom'][b][i]Affenpinscher

Anasarca
"Walrus" or "Rubber" puppies
Cleft Palate
Median fissures due to non-closure of bones.
Environmental and/or genetic factors may be involved
Cushing's disease
Hyperadrenalcorticism
Elongated Soft Palate
Keratoconjunctivitis sicca
Dry eye
Decreased tear production
Legg-Perthes disease
Avascular necrosis of the femoral head.
Oligodontia
Missing teeth
Patella luxation
Medial or lateral
Most common are medial, accompanied by tibial rotation on the long axis, bending of the distal end of the femoral shaft and shallow femoral trochlea.
Lameness at 4-6 months of age
Proposed are recessive polygenic and multi-focal inheritance
Patent ductus arteriosus
Persistence and non-closure of ductus arteriosus between aorta and pulmonary artery with left to right shunt [/i][/b]

Here is the link to the above information
[url]www.Petdoc.ws[/url]
If you want to write this person and disagree with him or add to his list guest he has an email link also on the page. However I have found several places and information on Affens. and Hip dysplasia..[/quote]

And I know the book he ripped that information from was completely inaccurate information on most of the breeds it had in it. A history of 'one dog once' does not a breed problem make. We dog people had lots of fun making jokes about that particular book. Seemed like it was written by someone who made pretty wild guesses based on no information.
Its like the person who's book is being pushed in the ads for this forum
I know Gina and know she is not a dog person at all simply an editor of magazines and books who got herself a publishing job at a dog related magazine and became an 'instant expert' because she had that job.

Guest Anonymous

Ok guest if you dont like this topic and disagree with EVERYTHING, I have an idea for you. Ok are you ready? DONT READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now i think that solution is good enough!

Candybug,
The guest may have a valid point, it may be just her/his view on it,

But guest, as you seem to know so much about the faults in this breed please put us all in the picture, what are the faults?

This topic is a learning tool, from looking up things we all add to our knowledge, not all info we get from the sources we use are always correct,
but, if they are incorrect, tell us why, tell us what, give us the correct info on the subject.
Sharing what people know with each other is the idea of this.
As we go down the breeds lists in this topic, we are going to come across some breeds that have an enormous amount of problems, and different view points on them.
So before we get to that stage, lets all agree to disagree without rudeness,
(members and guests) but with information or a viewpoint to back up what we feel we know.
Roo
Thats fair isn't it.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='roo']Candybug,

But guest, as you seem to know so much about the faults in this breed please put us all in the picture, what are the faults?

This topic is a learning tool, from looking up things we all add to our knowledge, not all info we get from the sources we use are always correct,
but, if they are incorrect, tell us why, tell us what, give us the correct info on the subject.
As we go down the breeds lists in this topic, we are going to come across some breeds that have an enormous amount of problems, and different view points on them.
(members and guests) but with information or a viewpoint to back up what we feel we know.
Roo
Thats fair isn't it.[/quote]

I don't see perpetuating misinformation as 'learning'. You want to know about breeds for real - go to people that own and raise them and go to multiples of that source.
Also I think violating copyright rules is nothing to be advocating
for example from one web page you copied - note the disclaimer and the copyright notice.
"Kimberly Andresen, [email][email protected][/email]
Disclaimer
I am not an expert in this breed, nor do I claim to be. "
And
"Copyright
Copyright 1996 by Kimberly Andresen; all rights reserved. This FAQ may be reproduced for educational and not-for-profit activities. You may not copy this text in whole or part to another web site. Feel free to link this FAQ to your web site, in order to foster education in an effective manner. "

I see the net as not only a great learning tool but also as a great disseminator of misinformation which rapidly becomes 'oh everybody knows' type stuff.
Now I can see asking people on the forum to expand knowledge of others about their breeds but stealing information from unknown quality websites and reprinting misinformation and violating copyrights does not seem quite right to me.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='gigishiba']Well, if we are sticking to group, then alphabetically, Brussels Griffon is next![/quote]

for information on this breed in the US here is the site
[url]http://www.brussels-griffon.net/[/url]
for rescue information try
[url]http://www.brussels-griffon.net/rescue.html[/url]

notice no copyright infringments no passing along of misinformation on this forum etc

Guest Anonymous

General A toy dog, intelligent, alert, sturdy, with a thickset, short body, a smart carriage and set-up, attracting attention by an almost human expression. There are two distinct types of coat: rough or smooth. Except for coat, there is no difference between the two.

Characteristics A lady's small dog, intelligent, lively, sturdy, stocky, cob-like, with a smart carriage and structure, captivating attention by its almost human expression.

Temperament Intelligent, alert and sensitive. Full of self-importance.

History The Brussels Griffon is a very old breed, being documented as far back as the 15th century in a painting by Jan Van Eyck, "The Marriage of Giovanni Arnolfini." Developed in Belgium, it is thought that the breed's ancestors were German rat dogs. Initially used as stable "ratters," the Brussels Griffon became popular as guardians of the horse-drawn cabs. It is thought that the original Brussels Griffon was crossed with the Pug, the Affenpinscher and English Miniature Spaniel in the early 19th century to produce the breed as we know it today. The breed found favor with the nobility, and this helped spread its popularity into England and other parts of the world.

Origin Belgium

Utilization Toy

Classification Companion and Toy Dogs

Size Small

Height -

Weight 3-5 kg

Grooming Moderate

Excercise Little

Activity Medium

Locality Town

Health -

Life span -

Litter size -

Good with children Yes

Good with dogs Yes

Good with other pets Yes

:wink:

[quote name='Anonymous'][quote name='roo']Candybug,

Roo
Thats fair isn't it.[/quote]

I don't see perpetuating misinformation as 'learning'. You want to know about breeds for real - go to people that own and raise them and go to multiples of that source.
Also I think violating copyright rules is nothing to be advocating
for example from one web page you copied - note the disclaimer and the copyright notice.
"Kimberly Andresen, [email][email protected][/email]
Disclaimer
I am not an expert in this breed, nor do I claim to be. "
And
"Copyright
Copyright 1996 by Kimberly Andresen; all rights reserved. This FAQ may be reproduced for educational and not-for-profit activities. You may not copy this text in whole or part to another web site. Feel free to link this FAQ to your web site, in order to foster education in an effective manner. "

I see the net as not only a great learning tool but also as a great disseminator of misinformation which rapidly becomes 'oh everybody knows' type stuff.
Now I can see asking people on the forum to expand knowledge of others about their breeds but stealing information from unknown quality websites and reprinting misinformation and violating copyrights does not seem quite right to me.[/quote]

:( :( :( :(
Dear Guest, (note i did not say guest dear)
You in you wisdom :lol: have commented to my quote.....
I have never copied anything off the net,
Please if you want to start trying yet more upsets on this site get your facts correct first.... :oops:
Secondly you have quoted what i asked you :roll: yet cannot made any replys as to helping info etc.
If you have nothing sensible to say......... as the song says
YOU SAY IT BEST... WHEN YOU SAY NOTHING AT ALL.
please help with this project and not hinder it
Roo

[quote name='roo']ok been to the breeds section, an aberdeen is a scottish terrier, so that can wait till s.
we will go from the breeds list alphabetically, one A then one B etc
So we will start with the

Affenpincher

Ok off you go.

Roo.[/quote]
Right, onto the next breed till next Friday
that breed is

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='"roo
snip moderator being insulting
Secondly you have quoted what i asked you :roll: yet cannot made any replys as to helping info etc.
snip moderator being insulting again
Roo[/quote']

I think I shall start letting the people who's copyrighted information is being placed here without their permission know about it - would you consider that a contribution? I suppose you would have no problem with the site being sued for that right?
I made a very nice post giving information in the correct legal way by pointing people to the club websites involved in the breed here in the US - a nice counter to that would be to have a similar set of sites for other parts of the world.
Copyright infringments are not funny nor should IMO a moderator be encouraging the members to do illegal things. Info copied from sites belongs to the owner of that site not to the people who wish to take it to put on some other website.
Now to add insult to injury you don't even care if the information presented is accurate as long as its printed here - some educational project that is - lets just reinforce all the available lies about breeds then - hmm how about pitbulls are dangerous monster dogs that should not exist :roll: or ....
Better yet why not have the people who have differing breeds here present their own thoughts or the results of their own research on breeds - not a copy from some other website pasted here and not information that cannot be verified by talking to someone who actually has the breed?
You claim this is for education - I'm adding some education in ethics and in veracity that I think the readers will find useful...

Guest I repeat, show me what copyright i Roo have infringed on?????
You keep saying people are posting incorrect info do you not?
So correct it.
And please please tell me how on earth you quoting a question i have asked of you and you not answering being insulting.
Why when people look things up,( unless it is being copied and pasted) on the net or in books is that so wrong?
And also, since we dont know what breeds half of the users here have, how can we ask them about their breeds?
Most of the people who have put info on this topic are actually enjoying the research part, you say their info is incorrect, ye3t seem totally unable to correct it( oops how odd)
Threats are made by people who are unethical, dont talk of morals and ethics to me, i suggest you look inside yourself first.
I have never encouraged people to infringe any laws.
And as to you politely pointing it out in your first post :oops: god would i like to see you being rude :wink:
And lastly on the subject..... If this topic so annoys and irritates you its quite simple, stop reading it and start one of your own.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous'][quote name='gigishiba']"Frequently Asked Aquestions
Affen-What?
Affenpinscher (af-en-pin-cher)
Do they come in colors other than black?
Yes. Affens can be black, silver, greay, black and tan, or red.
Do they require alot of grooming?
Ideally, no. The coat is a wirey, terrier-type that does not require frequent brushing or bathing. However, they do need to be "stripped" to maintain a healthy coat. This is an easy skill to master. It involves pulling the dead, dull hair out...leaving shiny new hair behind. The more dilligent you are about keeping your Affen stripped, the less shedding you'll have to deal with.
How are they with children?
Depends. I have an Affen who loves children, and another who is less than fond of them. I think it depends on what they were raised with, and possibly if they've had a bad experience. (i.e. being dropped by a child)
C'mon, they're a Toy dog. How sturdy could they be?
Very. Affens are a medium boned breed, and very sturdy. Not to say you should encourage heavy rough-housing, but a few tumbles never stopped a determined Affen."

Another quote from the same site.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/quote]

You do know its not polite to rip information off of a site without listing the site and crediting the author? Not to mention its probably copyright infringement?
Plus be very careful about believing the standards information is true of a whole breed as its really only a description of an ideal and just like those 35 pound Poms I've seen there are 25 pound Affenpinschers !
And one more thing there is no such thing as a 'hypoallergenic' dog.
Oh and anasarca is not a problem in this particular breed despite the listing copied but hip displasia is a serious problem. When you have an odd breed I think you bone up on other odd breeds just to be able to talk with other owners ;-)
And the breed needs LOTS of exercise and is very active based on the show ones I have met.
Don't believe everything you read on the net about a breed - people put absolute hogwash up on the net using information stolen from books that are completely idiotic written by people who have never seen many of the breeds they write about never mind ever speaking to a breeder or owner of the breed! :roll:[/quote]

And you call this polite.
YOU ARE RUDE AND OFFENSIVE
and should be very ambarrased

I don't quite know how i became a guest just then?
i am on sign in automatically, then suddenly wasn't.
Are the gremlins at it again?
Roo

Ok
BALEARAN LAUFHUND
Also known as the Ibizan hound

A very very ancient breed, dogs of close resemblence are in the tomb pictures in Egypt,
Coat rough or smooth but should feel harsh to the touch.
Height22 - 29 inches, but balance is the overiding factor.
It has large erect ears and is particularly sensitive to noise.
Known for its jumping abilitys.
Puppies birth weight averages 14ounces
litter size 8 ish (sorry guest)
Congenital faults.. cryptorchidism
Characteristics.Agile, tireless,controlled hunter. retrieves to hand, has ability to jump great hieghts without take off run.

Temperament. Aloof with strangers, alert friendly intelligent.

Off i go to see what else i can find
Roo

Ive found this site its really good, lots of links etc,
take alook

[url]http://www.geocities.com/heartland/pointe/2446/IHCUS.htm[/url]

Good info and good pictures too.

Roo

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous'][quote name='Anonymous'][quote name='gigishiba']"Frequently Asked Aquestions
Affen-What?
Affenpinscher (af-en-pin-cher)
Do they come in colors other than black?
Yes. Affens can be black, silver, greay, black and tan, or red.
Do they require alot of grooming?
Ideally, no. The coat is a wirey, terrier-type that does not require frequent brushing or bathing. However, they do need to be "stripped" to maintain a healthy coat. This is an easy skill to master. It involves pulling the dead, dull hair out...leaving shiny new hair behind. The more dilligent you are about keeping your Affen stripped, the less shedding you'll have to deal with.
How are they with children?
Depends. I have an Affen who loves children, and another who is less than fond of them. I think it depends on what they were raised with, and possibly if they've had a bad experience. (i.e. being dropped by a child)
C'mon, they're a Toy dog. How sturdy could they be?
Very. Affens are a medium boned breed, and very sturdy. Not to say you should encourage heavy rough-housing, but a few tumbles never stopped a determined Affen."

Another quote from the same site.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/quote]

You do know its not polite to rip information off of a site without listing the site and crediting the author? Not to mention its probably copyright infringement?
Plus be very careful about believing the standards information is true of a whole breed as its really only a description of an ideal and just like those 35 pound Poms I've seen there are 25 pound Affenpinschers !
And one more thing there is no such thing as a 'hypoallergenic' dog.
Oh and anasarca is not a problem in this particular breed despite the listing copied but hip displasia is a serious problem. When you have an odd breed I think you bone up on other odd breeds just to be able to talk with other owners ;-)
And the breed needs LOTS of exercise and is very active based on the show ones I have met.
Don't believe everything you read on the net about a breed - people put absolute hogwash up on the net using information stolen from books that are completely idiotic written by people who have never seen many of the breeds they write about never mind ever speaking to a breeder or owner of the breed! :roll:[/quote]

And you call this polite.
YOU ARE RUDE AND OFFENSIVE
and should be very ambarrased[/quote]

That would be MY mistake. MY copyright infringement. I was the one that posted that and I am WRONG for doing so. Please do NOT attack others on this. Only attack me as no one else did this.

Ignore the nastiness gigishiba, everyones human, we all make mistakes sometimes
its just guest being the wonderful loving ethical moral person it is again.
If it has really upset you, let the site you used know you made a mistake.
I am sure they will understand and not return it with threats and such.
Roo

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='roo']Ignore the nastiness gigishiba, everyones human, we all make mistakes sometimes
its just guest being the wonderful loving ethical moral person it is again.
If it has really upset you, let the site you used know you made a mistake.
I am sure they will understand and not return it with threats and such.
Roo[/quote]

Thank you! I will do that right now! :wink: