Dogomania

The History of a breed

Guest roo

Thought this might be fun for lots of you?
lots of you like looking into breeds and finding out about them.
I am going to look up what i can too, so lets see what we can all find out about (um let me think of one) LHASA APSO
ok, see what we canfind out about,
Its history, Genetic problems in the breed, general info, average lifespan, and average litter size.
If you like doing this we can do a different breed every week or fortnight
What do you think?
Roo

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok,
They originate from Tibet, were a favourite of the tibetan monks,
A sturdy small dog, long hard coat with dense undercoat, the fall of the hair over the eyes was to protect them from the extreme weather conditions. long coat needs grooming, but not hard to keep in good condition, the coat will mat if not cared for correctly.
Characteristics, Gay and assertive
Temperament, Alert, steady but somewhat wary and aloof of strangers.
Breed problems.
PRA, Keratoconjunctivitis (dry eye) Hereditary Kidney disease, and
Sebaceous Adonitis.
A favourite breedfor the puppy mills/farms?
average litter, 5
average lifespan 12ish.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='roo']Thought this might be fun for lots of you?
lots of you like looking into breeds and finding out about them.
I am going to look up what i can too, so lets see what we can all find out about (um let me think of one) LHASA APSO
ok, see what we canfind out about,
Its history, Genetic problems in the breed, general info, average lifespan, and average litter size.
If you like doing this we can do a different breed every week or fortnight
What do you think?
Roo[/quote]
Why litter size? planning to puppy farm :roll: I know you aren't but honestly thats the only reason I can think of for interest in that area.
Now to add to what you stated about the breed (sounded direct from some book you didn't cite)
Frequently seen in rescue due to snappishness and assertive biting issues
Often matted to the skin due to owner neglect
Needs careful training and socialization as a pup as well as daily grooming sessions then and later
Not really suited for homes with young or rough children

Guest,
I looked at some of my dog books, and looked at some sites on the net, the wording for characteristics and temperament were from the kennel club breed standard, the other words i managed to put together all by myself :lol:
As to litter size i personally find it interesting and as you will agree will me
puppy farms normally go for good size litter breeders, but then again average litter size really means nothing. It was just something else for us to try to look up.
Puppy farmer me? In 16+ years i have had 6 litters and have kept something from each one, that is the only reason i breed and to try to better the breed, i must be doing something wrong, i will have to start breeding anything to anything and sell my pups at 5 weeks instead of the usual 9, and let anyone have them, and not check up after them.
Sorry to dissapoint you there but i do care far too much about my dogs and their pups.
Roo :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='roo']Guest,
I looked at some of my dog books, and looked at some sites on the net, the wording for characteristics and temperament were from the kennel club breed standard, the other words i managed to put together all by myself :lol:
As to litter size i personally find it interesting and as you will agree will me
puppy farms normally go for good size litter breeders, but then again average litter size really means nothing. It was just something else for us to try to look up.
Puppy farmer me? In 16+ years i have had 6 litters and have kept something from each one, that is the only reason i breed and to try to better the breed, i must be doing something wrong, i will have to start breeding anything to anything and sell my pups at 5 weeks instead of the usual 9, and let anyone have them, and not check up after them.
Sorry to dissapoint you there but i do care far too much about my dogs and their pups.
Roo :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]
I don't find litter size interesting - it only matters the week before whelping starts :roll: and its info that millers do love and we have plenty of those or wannabe's hanging on this board.

I find it interesting that you responded so strongly to something I quite deliberately said I *knew* you were not - so why so defensive?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='"Mei-Mei
How incredibly rude. You must cherish being argumentative. Roo was trying to give us some information and you had to make waspish and annoying negative statements. I honestly pity you if your communications with other people so frequently descend to this level.

As an aside, we have a frequent visitor to this board who is also a GUEST who is very intelligent and informative. I wish he/she would register to distinguish his/herself from the GUEST who feels the need to make hostile comments.

Okay, end of lecture.[/quote']

So what is rude about presenting a true picture of why the majority of people want to know litter sizes in breeds and what a breed is really like and why it ends up being dumped into rescue? There are plenty of pretty sites and pretty books that tell only the good side of the breed in question - funny people seldom dump a dog for the *good* qualities - its the hidden ones that get people into trouble with their pets. The qualities HONEST and ETHICAL breeders make sure potential puppy owners know!
Just because you don't care for the truth doesn't make it rude or waspish.
I find it absolutely hysterical that you (and others) don't realize people can have different views from you and be intelligent and informative also or that responding to one post in one way and another in a different way does not make it different people OR the same person when it comes to guests here :lol:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Mei-Mei']
You don't find it hysterical at all. You're merely one of those people who thinks intelligence is proven by being argumentative. I meet folks like you on a daily basis. The true mark of intelligence is a willingness to learn.

[b]I think you are describing yourself in the first part of this - you don't want to learn anything just to make rude remarks when you don't like what you read as it upsets your little world view.[/b]

As for the information you presented I think it would be helpful to anyone who was thinking of purchasing a Lhasa Apso. A buyer needs to know both the negative and positive aspect of a breed.

[b]Funny that is not what you said in your first reply now is it?[/b]

And as for GUEST being a single person or multiple people I'm sure everyone has considered this. It doesn't matter. I'm sure you're aware of the fact that you could have been more polite to Roo. I stand by my statements.

[b]Ah but you act like you do care very very much to the point of trying to force people into membership with your rude remarks.[/b]

To Roo: Thank you for the information. I would be happy to learn about other dog histories (including litter size)

[b]I take it you have good reason to want to know how many pups a poor bitch can deliver on average :cry:
Be honest - if among the first questions someone asked you about your breed was 'how many puppies do they have at a time' what would you really think about the person asking that?[/b][/quote][/b]

Guest,
I am not bothered what you think of me, i think puppy farmers are quite disgusting people, i was just answering your comment on me, fine, i am not upset, i can see your point on litter sizes, but!!!!! don't you find it interesting that tiny breeds can have huge litters (huge for their size) and that some giant breeds have very few?

I find it quite incredible and sorry to say interesting that great dane pups are not that much heavier than french bulldog pups and that they don't seem to have that many more pups either.

I must say i am quite suprized that you thought that of me, it is normally me who prejudges people, although i am not quite as vocal.

Mei Mei, don't get upset about it all, i am not. And i think you know i will not resort to rudeness, ( if i did i would have to delete it pretty quick)

Roo

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='roo']Newfiemom,
do you happen to know where the webbed feet came from?
Roo[/quote]

Maybe their half-duck! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

i dont know how much of this has been posted....
The Lhasa Apso should give the appearance of a well balanced, solid dog.
The Lhasa Apso originated in Tibet, where documentation on the breed exists from as far back as 800 B.C. They were, and still are, valued as a companion and watch dog. Originally, the dogs were kept as good luck talismans and were never sold but given away as gifts to those who the lamas held in high esteem.
Utilization Companion
Classification Companion and Toy Dogs
Size Small
Height Ideal height: 25.4 cm (10ins) at shoulder for dogs; bitches slightly smaller.
Grooming Moderate
Excercise Little
Activity Low
Locality Town

Oh well, guess im a little late....
Lets do one a day!!!!!
YAY! lets do shihtzu or dalmations, then pitbull or staffies, then newfies and labs, st. benards....and lets see...what other dogs do you guys have?

:wink:

Guest Anonymous

I love dogs. I love animals in general. I like to find out as much information that I can about dog breeds, including litter size. We have only had one litter, and have only bred our male and female Shibas once. We don't ever plan on another breeding with these two, or any other dogs---ever. As a matter of fact, our male has been neutered and our female will be spade before mid August. I still am interested in all breeds, and yes, their litter size. I am appalled by puppy mills. I am appalled by pet stores. I am appalled by animal abusers. I'm even not happy with people having "outside" dogs (my personal opinion). My husband and I have decided that once our Shibas cross the rainbow bridge, our next two dogs will be from a shelter or rescue, instead of buying purebred (show dogs). BUT, I am still interested in litter size. I even cringe when owners don't feed their dogs "premium" food, or give them rawhide (choking). I guess I'm just too soft-hearted twards these creatures....even though litter size does interest me.

Guest Anonymous

how about roo can post (or someone else if she dosent want to) one like 1 a day? Or every other day or every week? I think that would be lots of fun (Even finding out the litter size!) :wink:

Guest Anonymous

We could do a poll/survey to figure these issues out.

One suggestion for deciding what breed to discuss could be to just go alphabetically, one breed per letter, per duration. For starts, we could go with the breeds we currently have, and go from there.

I think that educating ourselves on the different breeds is a GREAT idea, and this is a wonderful way to do it! It's fun to see what everyone else can come up with.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']We could do a poll/survey to figure these issues out.

One suggestion for deciding what breed to discuss could be to just go alphabetically, one breed per letter, per duration. For starts, we could go with the breeds we currently have, and go from there.

I think that educating ourselves on the different breeds is a GREAT idea, and this is a wonderful way to do it! It's fun to see what everyone else can come up with.[/quote]
Sorry! Forgot to log in. I posted this!

I'm here :lol:
Ok i am sorrry i started at L
But from here on,
I think we will go by groups.
all of you look up what is the first alphabetical breed in the
toy group.
then we will start from there.
A group a week, so a different breed each week,
with everyone looking up a bit of info
ok
Starting now
Roo

Guest Anonymous

Lets do the type of dogs that people on the site have first, then go on and do other dogs? like we could do pits because just about everyone has pits on here! :wink: but the ideas so far are great though. Aw well it dosent matter to me.

Guest Anonymous

Why dont the guests just register or SHUT-UP? all he/she is trying to do is annoy people. Like everyone said it is just best to ignore them! :evil: Maybe they will shut up!