Dogomania

American Indian Dogs and Native American dogs

Guest Anonymous

This woman calls her mixes "Alaskan Amerindian Huskies" and freely admits that they are Siberian, Malamute, and wolf crosses. :roll: The only info I could gather is that Graystone Ranch is some sort of a fundie religious campground/petting zoo/ puppymill sort of thing. :o There was one Google result that had her up for animal neglect when she was inspected. (Surprise!) Although real Alaskans probably have Sibe and Mal in their mix, it's their purpose, not the breeding that makes them real Alaskans. No mush? No Alaskan. (or the rare dog that is sold from a mushing kennel as a pet.)

Guest Anonymous

There is a website called..There is a wolf at the door Inc.
Interesting for those interested in wolves. That name is listed with other made up names to hide the wolf blood in the breeders dogs.
Altho I had to write them and say there is no wolf blood in American Indian Dogs from laFlamme. Unless wolves love to herd everything!

Not to start trouble here or anything, but I wouldn't be too trusting of everything that Wolf at the Door says..
On their site they also have the Tundra Shepherd, Northern Inuit Dog, and Shiloh Shepherd on their list of disguised wolf hybrids, none of which really are. The Shilo and Tundra were never hybrids. The Inuits on occasion would breed their dogs to wolves, but that was so long ago and any "wolf blood" would be gone today. The Utonagans I have [i]heard[/i] were hybrids but I honestly can't see anything more than husky and shepherd in them. WATD is very anti wolf hybrid when it comes to the breeding part, but they have been directing their efforts in the totally wrong direction, and "attacking" any breed that they think [i]might[/i] have had wolf added somewhere along the lines. For instance, in their description of the American husky: "Again, traces back to very old lines of wolf-dog hybrids." [b]Very old[/b]! Hear that WATD?? I have never heard of an American husky before but unless the wolf additions were [b]recent[/b] it can't count as a wolf hybrid in disguise. Grrr... I think in some respects they can have good info, but their stories tend to be very one sided. For instance, the "Responsible Rescue" article... True, some mistakes were made, but not all 6 were the rescuer's fault and at least one could not have been prevented unless the rescuer had some way of looking into the future. WATD failed to mention the 50 or so wolf hybrids which that rescue list SAVED from death. The rescue list is made up of several different rescuers and although the loss of 6 of the animals was tragic, the number would have been MUCH greater had the rescue list not existed. For each loss, discussions were formed on how to prevent those losses in the future, its not as though they just turned a blind eye to those events. Unfortunately WATD doesn

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for that info. It sounded almost like a witch hunt.
I know someone with a Shiloh Shepherd. There's no wolf in that dog.
I does seem like they went a little over board!

[quote]Cassie, I would have to disagree with you about our modern-day purebreds being artificial and recent developments. The Norwegian Elkhound has remained for all intents and purposes, unchanged for six thousand years.[/quote]
pyrless, The Norwegian Elkhound descended from spitz-type dogs. Think of all the spitz breeds that resemble the Norwegian Elkhound, the Norwegian Buhund, Norrbottenspets even Pomeranian's come from spitz type dogs....there are many many breeds and mongrels which are spitz type dogs. It

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

[quote name='howl']Thanks for that info. It sounded almost like a witch hunt.
I know someone with a Shiloh Shepherd. There's no wolf in that dog.
I does seem like they went a little over board![/quote]

I didnt read the whole conversation and Im sorta new here, actually very new. Im A Shiloh Shepherd owner and I believe there is wolf in the the dog though I cant prove this theory! But hey we will never know I guess, All I know is she is the best dog I have ever owned! Even if she is a little scary When shes gaurding me! :roll: Well Sorry if I bothered you! :(

Guest Anonymous

Im not saying a pure wolf would have been used in the breed Im saying a wolf hybrid, but again this may not be true and is mosty likely a myth as you said, but my shiloh, acts more wolfish then some of the wolf hybrids I know but she is alot larger than them as well so it is most likely the Giant Malamute in them, thanks for your reply.

I checked out your wolf adoptions link beneath your name, it really is a shame that people dont know what they are getting into when the purchase a wolf hybrid, or when they see they just cant keep them or whatever the case is, I know I would adopt one if I didnt already have my two dogs and had the space and enclosure that they would require. They are beautifull. Do you own any wolfdogs yourself? Just wondering because I love them and are hoping to open my own rescue when I am older.

I own one no-low content wolfdog right now. I plan on helping rescue more myself though when I get the room.

The main reasons that the wolfdogs on that page were dumped is actually not because they were part wolf. The majority of the wolfdogs listed there probably have little or no wolf in them but unfortunately were labeled part wolf at some point in there lives. Most were dumped because they roamed, tore up the house, or escaped their enclosures constantly. These are all things normal northern breed dogs do on a regular basis.

~Seij

Guest Anonymous

Its a shame really, If I could I would adout Tarr on your page if I had the place to keep her but thats not possible, I live in Virginia. What is you wolf dogsd name?