Dogomania

Do you feed your dog table food?

huskys4life

:wink:

Marion said:
[quote]My dogs eat people food all the time. I have to do a big shop this week as their freezer is running low. [/quote]

What a lovely shine on your girls. I bet they are as healthy as ever and not a complaint to be had. I know that my babies are quite content on their food choices, although not as luxurious as Ruby & Rosies, they get tons of people food and I wouldn't have it any other way.

:angel:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't exactly call it luxurious Rosebud. It's quite basic really and although it costs a lot when I stock up, on the whole I think it probably works out cheaper than buying dog food :roll: :roll: (she says hopefully).
I did forget to mention their veggies (but they're fairly cheap). Yes Ruby is smooth haired so has a wonderful shine on her coat, all the local ladies want one like it (including me). Rosie is more curly haired but still has a nice thick coat.

I like to think at dinner time their minds are going something like "I wonder what mum's got for our dinner tonight", knowing that it isn't going to be the same all the time. They've had chicken and ham tonight with baked potatoes and yoghurt for afters. It went down a treat, Ruby always has a good belch afterwards then lies in front of the fire to sleep it off.

[i][color=darkred]Pei Obsessed. I don't see any threat to you there I was simply saying that we won't stand for any contradiction unless that person is wrong in what they are saying, not over something that was read wrong!

We have been through this kind of behaviour here before and those people have been dealt with ie banned from this site, guests included if I am right members are only allowed here now!
This forum is only for giving out advice, helping those who need it, having fun etc, no arguements, rowing, abusing, fighting or contradicting is allowed.[/color][/i]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Just a note on the subject because I am SO guilty of this too...BUT...
I recently lost my 9 year old Springer/English Setter mix. The vet asked us if he ate alot of table scraps. Of course I couldn't lie, he had an inflamed pancreas( also known as pancreatitis). He was real ill. He was fine one minute and very sick the next. His last meal was a Ham Bone left over from Easter Dinner :cry: .
Jake would eat all the leftovers from the table, yet he knew the rules. He would be good and we only fed him in his own bowl.

We now have a puppy and it is so hard to say no. We still haven't decided whether he will get people food or not. Alot of people feed their dogs table scraps with no problem but I thought you all should be aware of this condition. Happy eat or NOt??? :-?

[quote name='huskys4life']...I wonder what the vets would think after seeing this post to how many people feed their dogs table food :lol: I know my vet would be :shocked!:[/quote]

Had to add this:

I took the RR's to the vet Friday, there was a lady in with her puppy, he had just gotten over a stomach virus but still had the runs. My vet told her that what she needed to do was go to the grocery store and buy some good quality plain vanilla yogurt and start giving it to him, he said what happened was that the bad bacteria from the stomach virus overpowerd the good bacteria and it needed some help.

only sometimes, not every day though. I am very careful about giving them too much human food and about what I give them, I don't want it to affect their health or weight in any way.

But occasionaly...they will get a little taste of what I am having. Never too much, though. :D h

:D

[quote]We now have a puppy and it is so hard to say no. We still haven't decided whether he will get people food or not. Alot of people feed their dogs table scraps with no problem but I thought you all should be aware of this condition. Happy eat or NOt??? [/quote]

You have to make sure what you are feeding them is healthy to begin with whether it's kibble or people food. Foods high in sugar need to be moderated if not avoided all-together, soft morsel food, most soft store-bought treats are pretty much nothing but sugar and bad ingredients. I call this stuff 'candy' since it really has no nutritional value and is actually bad for them.

Tobypup: Here's some information on the pancreas for you I also have another post about dog food here and at HH that teaches you how to read and interpret the ingredients in dog food. I have more articles that I can share but I am still researching what people food is healthy for my dogs. I hope this information helps you.

[url]http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/refpages/RefArticle.aspx?refid=761574123[/url]
The pancreas has both an exocrine and an endocrine secretion
. The exocrine secretion is made up of a number of enzymes that are discharged into the intestine to aid in digestion. The endocrine secretion, insulin, is important in the metabolism of sugar in the body...

[quote]My rootie is the biggest mooch ever, he will do a bunch of cammands at random to try and get a bite. he will sit, down, shake hands, roll oer and play dead and all you have to do is look at him with food in your hand. no words required!!
[/quote]

Too cute!!! :P

I feed my dogs yoghurt too, but I buy the flavoured ones. I'm currently giving about 2 tablespoons a day - is this too much sugar???

About the feeding of human food - Floppy (AM cocker) used to have terrible dry skin seborreah (sp??) and the vet said (amongst other things) that it could be due to the table scraps she used to have. Now we feed fresh food, but don't use much additives like salt, sugar or sauces at all. Her skin is a whole lot better :D now, although we cut it all short because of the heat!!

:D

[quote]I feed my dogs yoghurt too, but I buy the flavoured ones. I'm currently giving about 2 tablespoons a day - is this too much sugar??? [/quote]

Just make sure that the yogurt you buy doesn't have any added sugar, if you can't find any flavoured yogurt with no added sugar you can add the flavorings yourself, I use pure vanilla or carob powder (tastes like chocolate but safe for dogs).