Dogomania

Respect, boundaries, fear, or over-analytical owner?

Some of you are familiar with Pauly. He was a nervous wreck when he came here, but we've spent the last couple of years or so working with him and desensitizing him, and he's actually turned out to be a great dog. He's not nervous and snappy, anymore, and the groom shop that had him today remarked on how well behaved Pauly (and Perry, but that's a given) was. When I showed up to pick them up, they were both snoozing comfortably. That's a huge step for Pauly who's always been so nervous.

Anyway, while Perry sleeps on the bed, couches, where ever he chooses (anywhere but the floor :roll: ), Pauly refuses to sleep off the floor, though he does enjoy having something to lay on. That actually was a good thing when we were having issues with him being snappy. However, sometimes I'll pull him on the bed for a session of just playing and he seems to enjoy it, but as soon as it's time to lie down, he jumps down. He doesn't seem to be afraid of the height or anything. I'm just curious what some of you might think. Do you suppose he thinks it's out of his "place" to be there? I understand all about the alpha dog stuff and them not sleeping in the bed and all that when dominance is an issue. However, Pauly isn't dominant at all. It's not that I want to entice him onto the bed or couch if he isn't comfortable with it. I was just curious about WHY he might not be comfortable being up there. He does, however, sleep very, very close to me on the floor whether I'm on the couch or the bed. If I get up to go to the bathroom, he lays right in the door until I come out and then lays right back down by my head, but on the floor. I just can't imagine what makes him want to be so close, but not ON the bed. Not that I mind and all. I have enough dogs on the bed. :roll:

Opinions? Is it a respect thing? A "subordinate" thing? Am I just over-analyzing?

HF you have a REAL pack there....10, right? Pauly has chosen to not try to usurp whoever he thinks is above him, and so chooses to sleep on the floor in respect to the "higher uppers"...including you. Freebee does the same. Laurel sleeps on the bed sometimes, and altho Free was here first she wont displace her. they work it out amongst themselves most times...

8)

Courtnek said pretty much what I was going to say. Basically it's a matter of Pauly respecting you enough not to 'test you out' by jockying for a better position.

China is fairly similar, she refuses to sleep on anything but the floor, period. She refuses to even consider getting up on any of the furniture even just to lay down for a bit. One time we thought we'd haul her up onto the bed just top see what happened, and just as you said, she had a good time. Never could convince her to get up there since though.

Zoey sleeps on the bed or sometimes the couch during the day. Once it's time for Hannah and I to go to bed, she'll come down and sleep either at the foot or next to the bed on my side, she also sleeps a second night time shift in the middle of the living room. Regardless once we're in bed at night Zoey can't be convinced to get up there.

Guest Anonymous

I guess I'm weird. I never gave it any thought. Belle sleeps behind my knees where I told her to. CJ sleeps on the corner of the bed but the only time Bobbie (who if it weren't for me would be alpha) gets on the bed is when hubby and I are well...not wanting any animals on the bed.

Jackie might start out on the bed with me, but she doesn't stay because she prefers to sleep alone. If you pet her, she won't fall asleep

On the other hand, Maya and Pooh Bear like to be petted as they're falling asleep. Sometimes one or both of them will sleep with me. They both like to be touching me when they're sleeping.

They all like to sleep on the furniture, beds, and floor, depending on how warm they get I suppose.

Oh yeah, Court is right. He's just being cool with where he is in the pack, and that is a nice compliment to the work you have done with him. He is obviously comfortable in his place (see my post on "The Bond"-that's what the dog-savvy folks here said about my Taz, and they are right) and sees no reason to upset that.