Dogomania

STRANGE FRUIT: SEASONAL PRODUCE THAT CAN HARM YOUR PETS

(From my ASPCA Newsletter) This may be a "re-visit" but important!!

STRANGE FRUIT: SEASONAL PRODUCE THAT CAN HARM YOUR PETS
Cherries and lemons and apples, oh my! While spring and summer fruits are good for you, certain parts of these seasonal offerings can be potentially irritating—and in some situations, occasionally toxic—to companion animals.

According to our experts at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC), the peels, fruit and seeds of citrus plants such as lemons, oranges, limes and grapefruits contain varying amounts of citric acid, limonin and volatile oils that can cause gastrointestinal irritation and result in vomiting and diarrhea. As for apples, cherries, peaches and apricots, their stems, leaves and seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides that have the potential to cause vomiting and loss of appetite—and in severe cases, weakness, difficulty breathing, hyperventilation, shock and even death.

“Typically, these severe effects develop from very large ingestions of plant material, more likely to occur with grazing animals such as horses or other livestock,” says the APCC’s Dana Farbman, CVT. “The consumption of a few segments of citrus fruit, an apple or two, or a few cherries would usually not be expected to cause serious problems beyond perhaps minor stomach upset. However, it is important for animal owners to be aware of the potential for problems that these fruit trees can produce.”

As a companion animal owner, it’s always a good idea to become familiar with different types of plants in and around the home—and make sure that potentially poisonous species are not accessible to your pets. For lists of both safe and potentially toxic plants, please visit ASPCA online.

Wow crazy! Last time I was home smokie was staring at me eating a peice of banana so i broke like a micro peice off, and he spit it out, and then was scared of it when i showed him the big banana close to his face.. LOL! I knew he'd spit it out.. (he doesn't like anything unless it's meat/treats). I just had to prove it to him.. lol. Smokie HATES pickles too!

But I don't know why somebody would feed there dog fruits, unless there is something I am unaware of.

Mine throw fits for strawberries and pineapple. I've always been fine giving them strawberries but I only gave them a tiny bit of pineapple - I didn't think it would go over well with their digestive system. They like apples chunks quite a bit too. No seeds of course.

Thanks for sharing helpful info!

It is disconcerting I must say to see the term "strange fruit" used so lightly, I am certain this author doesn't know any better and I will not pass judgement. However just in case anyone doesn't know ...

[url]http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/billie-holiday/17859.html[/url]

Southern trees bear strange fruit,
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root,
Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze,
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees.

Pastoral scene of the gallant south,
The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth,
Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh,
Then the sudden smell of burning flesh.

Here is fruit for the crows to pluck,
For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck,
For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop,
Here is a strange and bitter crop.