Dogomania

need help.

Another place you might want to try is this website called Hoflin's Dogs. (i don't have the exact address but if you search with that it will come up).This site has loads of breed info, contact info for the national breed clubs as well as "reviews" from folks who have owned the specific breeds. :)

Try clicking here and look on the left side for the PM button
[url=http://www.dogomania.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=644&sid=f457a8b595a28813e5e47ce3c4d21bee]Crested[/url]
She might take a bit to get back to you as she doesn't get on as much as she used to but it might be worth a try.

I have a shih tzu mix and I think he got all of the best traits. He has a sturdy little body (about 11 pounds) and can handle quite a bit of wrestling with my husband. Most of the shih tzu's I have met are not real heavy barkers, mine only does when we are playing outside.

Scout was potty trained by 11 weeks, though I don't think that is typical. If socialized and trained correctly they can be very good with kids. Scout and my aunts shih tzu both tolerate children like you wouldn't believe. They carry him around like a baby and he LOVES it! Mine is also very smart and learns commands very quickly.

Shihtzu's can be very stubborn and aloof so be aware of that. Grooming is also something to keep in mind. I spend about 15 minutes a day, but I also keep my pup pretty long.

I think they are great dogs, but can be ugly, so make sure you check out the parents.

Good luck on your search!

Just in my expierence, every dachshund I have ever meet has been evil. I hear alot of them are cranky and yappy. I've heard the occassional good one in the bunch, but the one Brad's cousin had was so rotten. She growled and yapped at anything and everything. No one could ever touch her. They got her for there daughter to play with and that never happened. She was terrified of kids. Just in my expierence though, others may be able to be more helpful.

I don't know how old your son is but I might suggest a Pug or Pomeranian(already mentioned), or maybe a Japanese Chin. I'd probably stay away from Chihuahuas unless you got a 'pound Chihuahua', that is, one that doesn't conform to standard, they tend to be larger/sturdier and more gregarious. I'd also stay away from terrier types as they tend to need to burn off alot of energy and also will have a high prey drive.

Also if you're considering a Bichon, you might look into Havanese or Coton De Tuleaurs (sp?). They are fairly similar dogs but considered rare breeds and as such are less subject to congenital problems due to over breeding. I also know that you can find breeders for both in Mich.

Little poodles are pretty cool. I prefer standerds but if you are going for a small dog a smaller poodle is a nice option. If you decide on a poodle, were you thinking of the Miniature Poodle (12-18lbs) or the Toy Poodle (4-8lbs)? I would suggest the Miniature Poodle as a 4-8lb dog would be a bit to small to be any fun for kids.
Ooooh, all this deciding and options and stuff is making me want another dog. :lol:

I belong to a poodle forum as well and they said a mini poodle would be better for us that a toy. but I also belong to a dachshund forum. I am also looking for a chinese crested forum. I find its much better to get info from a owner than from a book or a web site. they dont give you text book stuff, they give you actuall info. the highest I could pay for a dog is about 500$ so the more rare breeds are out I am afraid.

I have a mini dachsie. Fully grown he will not wieght over 11 pounds. Only problem really with the breed are back problems but ramps and things to prevent lots of jumping from high things like the couch can stop that. They are very low sheaders, even the long haired ones like mine. Just a quick daily brushing they are good to go. They are a bit on the head strong side, but remember they were breed to fight badgers in their own burrows so being stubborn was a good thing :lol: . Not so much now, but you can little box train them also I am doing that now and its working I live in hurricane alley so doing potty outside is not always permitted. They are small enough that they can get enough exerince running in the house or apartment,just have lots of chew toys for them. If they are solocaized well during puppyhood they are great with children and other people and even strangers. They are loyal to their human family, but they usually bond really close with just one but loves them all. They do bark at times just like most breeds but with proper traiining and time spent with them to know the rules of the household they do really well I think. I might be a bit one sided but these little guys are good to go if you are active and on the go alot or if your not that active they can get all the exerice they need in the house

Just my opinion

Rana and Connor presnetly