Dogomania

Has anyone ever used a doggie chiropractor?

Maya has a tender spot on her back, and I can feel a knot on her spine. She moves around fine; doesn't have any problem there. But when I pet or scratch her over that area, her skin flinches. It looks like a chiropractic adjustment would be beneficial. Does anyone use doggie chiropractors? Do vets do "adjustments"?

Never heard of a pet Chiro or a vet doing adj. tho I guess its possible. When my dog had a sore spot on her back the vet said that just like people they can twist wrong . He gave me some steroids(Is that the right word?) for her and she was better in a couple days.

I just talked to my vet clinic, and they said that since she's moving around and playing and running and jumping like normal (and not whining or anything), that she probably just strained something (just like we do sometimes), and that if her back gets worse, or not any better, in a week or so that I should bring her in then. They also said that if dogs have a chronic back problem that they will refer them to a chiropractor or acupuncturist. So if she doesn't get better, I have plenty of options.

I have a bad back myself, and I've strained my back before. That's probably all that's wrong.

Hey, I just thought of something. She got loose and jumped over the fence about a week ago. Maybe she strained something then. hmmm.

Chiropracters are great to adjust dogs. I wanted to get it done for Meg but then all the trouble started and I never got a chance. I know so many people though who have had their dogs spines realigned (usually agility dogs) and the benefits are apparent. The danger is that if there is a vertebrae misaligned or a trapped nerve then it can cause problems later on, so I always think that prevention is better than cure. We have chiropracters here called McTimoney chiropracters but I'm honestly not sure if they extend to the USA.

my dogs get chiro all the time (well if they need it that is). gaia frequently has neck adjustments because she has 2 speeds fast and faster! the last time she was adjusted she was lame in a front limb and it turned out her ulna (bone in forearm) was popped out of place. we heard it "pop" back in and we all kind of held our breath then poof no limp and you could see her expression relax. it's great if you get a good practioner :)

they also get acupuncture and we really like the results we see. talk about pampered pets!

crystal: i know i posted these before but here is aspen with his needles. he really doesn't seem to mind them. every once in a while he will try to get one out but for the most part he is great (better than scott for sure).

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/rotten_two/pincushion.jpg[/img]

crystal, oh crystal where did you go? it's just a teeny needle! my whole household gets acupuncture. my hunny and i go to different acupuncturists. my dr is a man and he says that men are by far less tolerant of pain -- not that acu hurts. i don't even feel the needles. scott on the other hand totally tenses up when he hears the needle wrappers and so sticking a needle in a tight muscle hurts. he is a big baby tho. the trick is getting people past their initial fear. honestly a bug bite hurts more. now come out from hiding!

*inches slow from the security of the couch*

Is it safe???

Ok, I don't see anymore needles. :lol:

I have a pretty good tolerance for pain, I mean I did do natural child birth twice. Still I would freak out. I'm not a big needle person. It never bothered me until when I was having my son. There was this nurse in training doing my IV. It is hard to get and IV in me anyways, so set up someone who is unexpierenced and watch the drama unfold. Now I kept my composure and handled it like a tough girl, but inside I was screaming. Then on top of that she also got to practice taking it out. AHHHHHH. I bleed like crazy. So NO NEEDLES. I'm scared very scared.

I would be one to tense up. That was one big problem with my depo. It took me 3 shot to figure out how not to tense my arm. It was sore either way, but only for 2 days if I didn't tense up. It took a week to recover until I figured that out.

Keep your needles to yourself. I've seen people with them placed in there face. I'd die, honestly I would. I know they don't go in far, but still. It seems creepy.

scaredy dog! if you did natural childbirth you would have no problems! seriously the needles are teeny. i have had needles in my forehead, my cheek, my ear and it's nothing. i get acu now for back pain and pinched nerves and it does the trick.

sorry JM we jacked your thread :oops:

yes jess i have heard you several times say you have troubles with migraines. i think acu could really help make sure you find a good practioner. personally i prefer those who were trained in china (i have more faith that since they studied in the old country they know what the heck they are doing).

if anyone wonders the types of ailments treated by acupuncture you can go to this site [url]http://www.riverhillwellness.com/acupuncture/acupuncture.htm[/url]

i don't go to jeff millison tho. my doctor is not listed on this page(dr zhang) but he is awesome!

that actually sounds reasonable. i pay $65 per 1 hour session. first session was a little bit longer but same price. my hunny pays i think $60 so i think $55 is right on. for the dogs we pay something like $40 for acu and $35 if they need chiro.

do you have a flexible spending account (pre tax dollars put away for medical expenses) where you work? since my dr gives me a receipt with the actual insurance codes on it i get reimbursed from my fsa (i seriously didn't put enuff in this year tho). some insurance co are taking their own sweet time with including alternative med in their plan.

One of the best horse vets in Minnesota also does acupunture with them. I've seen her do acupuncture on a horse at a horse show. Pretty cool!

I have NO problem with needles. When they take blood, or if I have to have an injection for something, I watch the whole time. Crystal, you're a big weenie! :banan:

If Maya's back doesn't get better in a week or two, acupuncture sounds like a great idea to me, and my vet will refer Maya to an acupuncturist.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Crystal']:o This thread is bad for me...just watch

[quote name='JackieMaya'] Crystal, you're a big weenie! :banan: [/quote]

That's the way I like em... :wink:

:lol:[/quote]

:oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: at Crystal