Dogomania

Dog parks are for dogs... not annoying ten year olds.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

At the hollywood park, there's two sections, a playground for children and a basketball court, the other section is for dogs. A lot of times a parent will lead a group of kids over to that side to play, and some one else will watch over thier dog.
Well yesterday there was a group of neighborhood kids (about 10 of em) playing in a big tree in the corner of the dog park. And we sat down on a bench to read the paper nearby. Well unless it's kiani's friends, she kinda wander around on her own or stick around me. Well the kids got done playing in the tree, while several adults yelled at them to not throw rocks/sticks at each other, and started picking up tennis balls and throwing them at each other. Well in Kiani's mind, she thought "YES!!! ahh some one to chase and play with". Well she'll do a lot of barking to antagonize another dog to run. Well she started to do that to the kids and scared the heck out of them. And some of the boys were like, ohh she's not going to bite me, well they started to walk up to her and of course she backed up towards the bench because she thought the boys were after me and started in defense mode, still barking. She's never bitten any one, or even gotten aggressive. And because it was still a happy bark, no aggressive growling, and her tail was still up and wagging, I let her be.
It was funny watching all them finally leave because of her. And all the adults were happy too. They were getting annoyed because the kids kept throwing the balls at thier dogs to get them to play fetch. I've only met one dog that would get a fetched ball from some one other than it's owner. And none of the dogs wanted to play with the kids, they were in doggie heaven playing with the other dogs.

Guest Anonymous

Who knows, but none of them were there with a dog. All the parents probably thought each one was at the other's house playing. But around here (well when I was growing up), if you played with the neighborhood kids, you would go all over the place. Generally you stayed within a few blocks, but occasionally went to the elementary school to play on the playground.

:Dog_run:

We have one dog park in this area, it's kinda far from my house (15+ miles). I keep saying I'm gonna take Re-dog there. Yesterday I was driving past it and in the center were three large dogs going at it and the owners were running towards them. :o I don't think I'll be taking Re-dog there any time soon.

Regarding the kids-the parents probably sent them there to get rid of them for awhile, they know how they act and are just looking for a few moments of peace and quiet. Let them be some one elses problem for awhile. :evil:

Guest Anonymous

Well I've only seen a couple little fits between dogs there. Generally caused by a male dog trying to hump a female. I've had to leave with Kiani because there's one husky in particular that doesn't get the clue to back off. Nor do I ever see the owner pay attention to what the dog is doing. But I've learned the times to take her, when her female friends are there, or when no one will be there.
There's two dog parks I take Kiani to, one by my house (hollywood) and one out west, north of Kari's job (plantation). I also like to take Kiani to Wolf Lake, which is a quiet little fishing spot that most horse owners know about, but not too many others. It's probably a good couple miles around the lake, so they take thier horses for a walk there. And of course there's always some dog owners there but not too many. Since there's no swimming allowed the water is crystal clear, so all the animals like to take a drink from the water. I'll usually let Kiani run free, but with her leash on so I can call her over to step on it if there's a horse coming by. She enjoys it a lot and with her "off" leash, she can take the time to sniff every tree. Although I'm very grateful she stays away from horse poo on her own. And because she's afraid I'm going to leave her, she always keeps me in sight and will freak out if I hide behind a tree.

Basically when you go to any dog park, it's kinda like going to a resturant. It's going to be busy in the afternoon after people get off work, busy on the weekends. Moderate in the lunch time. And dead in the later evening. With the time change I take her about 7pm and let her run till 8 when the sun is gone. Usually there's maybe one or two dogs and occasionally dead. Although in the noon time, there's a group that have all female dogs (about 5) that go at the same time. Kiani likes that group a lot, but I'm not home very often at that time to take her then.