Dogomania

Bloat? Gas?

What are the exact symptoms of bloat?
- there are many symptoms and they are not necessarily always the same for each dog:
* unsuccessful attempts to vomit or unproductive gagging, drooling
* restlessness and anxiety, whining, pacing, trying to find a spot to hide or just standing spread legged, often with the head hanging down
* shallow breathing, rapid panting, pale gums
* bloated abdomen with tight-stretched skin
* no noises present in the intestines that are signs of normal digestive activity
* roach-backed, hunched appearance

How does it differ from the symptoms of regular gassiness?
- see above, a dog who is just gassy is not likely to show as much discomfort.

How long does it take to become deadly?
- the timeframe can be as narrow as 15-20 minutes, depending if the dog torses or not. if you suspect bloat, you should pack up your dog immediately and call ahead at the vet's office, telling them you are bringing in a dog you suspect is suffering from bloat so they can prepare for your arrival. saving a bloating dog can literally be a matter of minutes.

What are the reliable preventatives?
- as far as i know, there are no really reliable preventatives, but a high-quality, meat based diet (either good quality kibble/canned with a low carb content or a raw diet), avoidance of stress (any kind, environmental, genetic, physical, emotional etc.), and sound immune system are all factors that make an incident less likely.
- you can have preventive gastropexy done tho, a surgical procedure where the stomach is tacked to the body wall. this will not prevent bloat, but the stomach will not twist, which is the main cause of death.
- you can keep simethicone (gas-x, phazyme) on hand and give it if needed. it will help pass the gas and usually has no side effects.

What are the treatments?
- decompressing by gastric tube, or if that fails by by trocharization with multiple 16-18 gauge needles at the point of greatest distention, treatment for shock, derotation surgery if needed.

Thanks TDG.

Zaphod was a little distended and panting last night but in no discomfort - he frisked a fair bit. No change in diet, however he did eat while stressed. I was giving treats while introducing the dremel. Perhaps this triggered something. I will have to avoid that in future and keep some gas-x on hand. I think Zaphod may be slightly prone to it as he has behaved this way before.

Since we lost Rocco to bloat, I'm terrified to the point of obsession about bloating.

I'm wondering, though... how do you dose out Gas-X to a dog? I don't even know what they look like, but I'm wondering how many and how often you give them to a dog? I've tried sprinkling a bit of baking soda on food before (since baking soda kills bubbles and fizz otherwise, my logic said it would help with gas), but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Peaches (the foster Dobe) is the most gassy dog I think I've ever known, but more than the olfactory assault, I worry about the possibility of her bloating.