Dogomania

Natural Cures for Upset Stomach

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi Everyone.
I am new here. I am hoping someone will be able to help me out with some advice. I have a 2.5 year old mixed spayed female. Recently she has started having stomach problems, like whinning around 5 am and then eating grass and then vomitting. I took her to the vet and he said that her stomach produces too much acid but he couldn't say why this is happening. He gave me omeprazole (pills to contol stomach acid) and said to give them to Laika once a day for a week. And he said to never allow her to eat grass as this causes more stomach irritation which just makes the problem worse. So now the week is up and this morning she started whinning at 5am - I gave her one of the pills (he said they will help if she is in pain again) and a few minutes later she vomitted.
I am torn. I am a firm believer in naturopathic medicine, I would rather Laika be treated with herbs or homeopathy. It's been a week, and apparently there hasn't been an improvement in her condition - unless she is on pills. I have spent the morning searching for natural remedies for excessive stomach acid and haven't found much online with the exception of feeding rice for a few days. I've cooked her rice but she won't eat it and she is still continually whinning to go out and eat grass and her stomach is gurgling - poor thing.
She has never had any stomach problems before about a 1.5 months ago. Her regular food is Eagle Pack Holistic (a super-premium food).
Does anyone have any adivice as to how to help her or has anyone had something similar occur to their beloved friend?
Thank you
Ania & Laika

I have similar problems with my boys.

TDG (member on here) helped me out with the feeding 2 main meals, and a 'snack' too.

I add plain yogurt to my food. Extra live cultures. And I also feed the EAgle Pack Holistic Lamb and Oatmeal.

Since I started with the snack, I don't have to add any more cultures. But TDG said that if need be, I could also go to a health food store to actucally buy acidopholis (so sorry for butchering the word!!!) pills.

organic yoghurt is very good and has lactobacilli immunitase which is friendly bacteria and helps to control the excess stomach acid and settle the stomach as well as boosting the immune system. If the dog is throwing up pure bile this only happens when the dog has a completely empty stomach therefore feeding a small meal in between 2 main meals will aid digestion and ensure that the gut is never completely empty. Good luck :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Hi Everyone. I want to thank you all for your advice and replies.
I called my vet who just suggested bringing her in for a shot of medicine and to put her on more pills. And then I called a Homeopathic Vet and had a phone consultation with him, he suggested Nux Vomica for 2 weeks, and not to feed her for 24hours. I chose to follow the homeopathic advice.
She was on and off throughout the day yesterday. So this morning I gave her some rice with cooked veggies and she gobbled it up. And she has been livelier than usual today. She even stole 2 bananas while she was home alone and peeled them and ate them and found one of her hidden stuffed doggy toys (it was hidden because it was torn and waiting to be sown up), so there was scattered peels and stuffing upon our return home and a waggy tailed dog - I'm just happy she is feeling better :D ). So the true test will be tonight (and subsequent nights) if once her stomach empties if she still gets the pains and acid build up.
As per the yoghurt - I was under the impression that dogs are lactose intolerant, how is it that you all feed them yoghurt and they handle it so well?? I'm definitely into giving it a try, but that point confuses me a bit.
Thanks
Ania

[quote name='Ania']As per the yoghurt - I was under the impression that dogs are lactose intolerant, how is it that you all feed them yoghurt and they handle it so well?? [/quote]

the statement that "dogs" are lactose intolerant is incorrect. just like in humans, some are and some are not.

however, that has little to do with feeding yogurt, since it is a fermented milk product that has very little if any lactose left - since the bacteria have converted it already. :) this is the reason why yogurt tastes (more or less, depending on the type bacteria used) tart as opposed to fresh milk. for this reason, even most dogs who happen to be lactose intolerant can still eat yogurt without problems.

however, when treating serious health problems, yogurt does not supply sufficient numbers of probiotic bacteria and a concentrated supplement is needed. you'd have to feed buckets of yogurt each day to even get close to a therapeutic dose.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='TDG'][quote name='Ania']As per the yoghurt - I was under the impression that dogs are lactose intolerant, how is it that you all feed them yoghurt and they handle it so well?? [/quote]

the statement that "dogs" are lactose intolerant is incorrect. just like in humans, some are and some are not.

however, that has little to do with feeding yogurt, since it is a fermented milk product that has very little if any lactose left - since the bacteria have converted it already. :) this is the reason why yogurt tastes (more or less, depending on the type bacteria used) tart as opposed to fresh milk. for this reason, even most dogs who happen to be lactose intolerant can still eat yogurt without problems.

however, when treating serious health problems, yogurt does not supply sufficient numbers of probiotic bacteria and a concentrated supplement is needed. you'd have to feed buckets of yogurt each day to even get close to a therapeutic dose.[/quote]

U should feed your dog an intestinal formular Ekunuaba or something like this. try it has prebiotic and probiotic values.

good luck and plse if you need to put your dog on a leash for his.her own good do it so the grass will not be eaten.

Guest Anonymous

Just an update on Laika's situation. The vomitting seems to have stopped since I started to give her the homeopathic remedy. Let's hope it fixes it :)
Thanks for all your advice !
:D Ania

[quote name='blade']U should feed your dog an intestinal formular Ekunuaba or something like this. try it has prebiotic and probiotic values.[/quote]

eukanuba is a poor quality food and i very much doubt the small amounts of probiotics it contains would make a difference. it's probably in the ball park of a regular yogurt product - again, you don't get the required therapeuthic dose unless you would feed your dog insane amounts of the food.

Ive read that you can grow grass for your dogs to eat like wheat grass and alfalfa is good to give dogs too. As for upset belly's and diarrhea etc. I give my dogs dandelion root. I also read some where that licorice root is good to give for stomach upset.

Dandelion root and Leaf; the leaf is used for enhancing bile secretion and decreasing water retention and bloating accompanied by flatulence and appetite loss. Roots are used for indigestion, as a diuretic, to promote bile secretion and to treat rheumatism.