Dogomania

Puppy Diet!!

nadooshkinz

Hello All! As you know Clea is coming home tommorow :D , And i need a little help with her diet..
Ok for those of you that don't know, Clea is my 2 month old golden retriever who is coming home from quarantine tommorow, and my questions are:
Is there a specific diet that i should follow for puppies?
What vegetables are ok to feed dogs, and should they be cooked or raw?
Is there anything that i should COMPLETELY abstain from feeding her?

Anything else that you have to add would be great! :wink:

4 meals a day is the usual for a young puppy that has just left Mum. Veggies at such a young age should be introduced very gradually and in small amounts. Carrots, broccoli, spinach, potato are all good to feed to puppies as long as they are processed in a food processor as this helps to break down the cellulose cell walls of the veggies which can be difficult for pups to digest. Cooking removes most of the nutritional value from veggies so its better to feed raw liquidised veg instead. Just ensure that you avoid onions and green parts of potatoes as they can cause kidney failure in dogs.

there are two great books you should try to get a hold of.

1. dr. pitcairn's complete guide to natural health for dogs and cats and

2. before & after getting your puppy by ian dunbar

the books are around $15 each, but you might be able to find them cheaper somewhere online.

Guest Anonymous

For people that didn't know, just an exemple

On this site: [url]http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/[/url]

Enter beef liver

Compare vitamin A and copper for raw beef liver(100 gr) and braized beef liver(100gr) you guys will see that the amount is higher for the cook product.

Now try with the carrot

Same with the carrot compare the raw 100gr carrot and the cooked in water without salt carrot(100 gr). The vitamin A for the cook carrot will also be higher

So now you guys will know that sometimes cooking will raise the amount of certain nutrient in certain food :wink:

:bday: [color=blue]Congrat for the new puppy [/color]:bday: