Dogomania

Could be food related....

ObedienceGrrl

That's why I'm posting it here.

Both GSDs tend to vomit ALOT. And it's always that yellow-y foamy consistancy.

When I first moved in with my husband, he was feeding them dry Bil-Jac because that is what the breeder told him to feed. He's VERY particular about his dogs and wouldn't let me change food. They threw up EVERY day.

Finally I was able to switch. Now this was at our old house and we were not close to ANYTHING. We lived waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the country so I didn't have access to much. So the best that I could find was Nutro Natural Choice Chicken and Oatmeal for sensitive stomachs. No corn/wheat/or soy at least......so it was better than the Bil-Jac and it really cut down with the upset stomachs.

Since we have moved in May I have begun adding Plain yogurt to their food and they just love it. But we are still having the same problems with the vommiting....just not as often....but it's still there.

Is this a food issue? Do I need to switch? If so.....what would you recommend? There are a TON of choices that I have now. I can get pretty much anything except Wysong (had to order that for the cats). The cats are on Solid Gold and I am switching Tater over to it, but I'm not sure I'll keep him on it.

Sorry for this being long.......

are they just vomiting bile? how many times per day are they fed?

as for a food choice - i'd go with something with a very simple formula and highly digestible. maybe even try a chicken-free food, since the chicken may very well be a culprit.

personally i'd give california natural lamb and rice a try if you can get it, since it is free of any extras that might cause problems - right down to leaving out things like flax seed and kelp.

yogurt is a good thing, but they might benefit from a more concentrated probiotic supplement. for an effective therapeutic dose, you need to administer several billions of organisms daily, which a yogurt can't do. look for a good human grade acidophilus supplement that has no sucrose, lactose, artificial color, preservatives, yeast, wheat, rice or soy. a good product that is relatively easy to find and not ridiculously expensive is NOW brand acidophilus 4 X 6 powder. 3 oz cost about $15 and the daily dose is 1/4 teaspoon, so not a whole lot is needed. you may find it for less at some online sources.

When they do vomit, it is just the yellow bile.

They are fed twice a day.

I can the get California Natural. That is by me. I have this great store that has all of those products, plus Sold Gold, Royal Canin, Wellness, and so many others that I have forgotten.

Like I said, it has drastically reduced since being taken off the Bil Jac. But still there.

Also, since being put on the yogurt, the diarhea has stopped. I didn't mention that. They would have bouts of diarhea AT LEAST 2 times a month. Bad blow out kind. Now that we've been doing the yogurt for 3 months there has been nothing! So I'm thrilled!!

But I will look for something stronger. I can do that this weekend!

Dogs vomit bile when they have a completely empty stomach. Its an automatic reaction evolved from wild animals that the dog uses to rid the body of toxins which are secreted in bile. Your GSD's are large breeds so you could try giving them a little snack between their two main meals to fill their stomachs. Also bran is very good to bulk up food and causes a fuller feeling and isn't processed as quickly as the actual meal.

i second the suggestion of giving a snack in between, but wouldn't recommend to give high amounts of grain fibers like bran, since in excess amounts it can interfere with nutrient absorption.

a better quality food is very likely to solve the problem, and CA natural is one of the best quality ones on the market.

Okay.....so here's their schedule. Let me know how I should change it.

They eat at 8:00 am when my husband leaves for work. He leaves around 8:30 or so but feeds them before.

When I get home from work (at roughly 4:45) I feed everyone shortly after. Usually around 5:00 or 5:30. After every gets in from outside and wiped and settled.

So do you suggest that I feed them later at night? We go to bed around 10:00. There is no one home during the day to feed them any earlier. Niether of us would ever be able to make it home during the day.

[quote name='ObedienceGrrl']They eat at 8:00 am *snip*

I feed everyone shortly after. Usually around 5:00 or 5:30. *snip*

So do you suggest that I feed them later at night? We go to bed around 10:00.*snip*[/quote]

i think maybe you would see an improvement if you stuck with the schedule you are on now but feed a snack before bedtime.

Okay.....the food that I have now is the Eagle Pack Holistic Lamb/Rice/Oatmeal.

I have heard you guys on here say that it is also a good food.

And it's tiny bites!!! Just what Tater loves! I'm taking back the Solid Gold that I started switching him too.

He's really, really, really gassy on it!

Plus there is also extra added live cultures in the Eagle Pack. TDG probably already knew that, along with the rest of you....but I didn't!

Will start doing snackies before bed. Because, now that I think of it, most of the vomitting is first thing in the morning.

[quote name='ObedienceGrrl']Okay.....so here's their schedule. Let me know how I should change it.

They eat at 8:00 am when my husband leaves for work. He leaves around 8:30 or so but feeds them before.

When I get home from work (at roughly 4:45) I feed everyone shortly after. Usually around 5:00 or 5:30. After every gets in from outside and wiped and settled.

[/quote]

We used to feed on almost exactly the same schedule as you mentioned above, but some of our dogs were waking up and bile puking early in the mornings. We now feed as closely to a 12 hour schedule as possible and they also get snacks. Typically, 8 am and 8 pm feedings and afternoon snacks. It stopped the morning gurglings and bile pukings. It seems my dogs can go 12 hours without eating, but let it be 12 1/2 hours and they're hacking all over the place. :-?