Dogomania

puppy vs. dryer sheet

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

EEP! My 5 month old puppy (border collie/lab mix) stole a new, fallen dryer sheet while the laundry was being done and he ended up eating around half of it.

I am worried that it could cause some intestinal blockage. Fiance says to call poison control but I think that is a little bit beyond them. Should I call the vet asap in the morning? Or just wait and see if it passes naturally? Am I worrying too much or not enough? -l-

Thanks in advance!

One of my felines loves to eat whole dryer sheets. Shes never suffered any ill effects, but she also 'hairballs' them back up. I guess I really dont have any decent advice for you, just wanted to let you know that theyve never made my feline horribly ill. And I definately agree that a call to the vet is in order just for peace of mind. Hope everything comes out OK!

If your vet will do phone consults that would be great - they have seen puppies and dogs eat all kinds of things so they may have run across this one before. Socks apparently can be an issue. If you are going to wait and see just keep a very close eye on him and watch everything coming in and going out. I would also greatly restrict intake until you see that dryer sheet again but that is just my inexpert best guess.

dryer sheets are treated with chemicals (and often also fragrances), it's not a good idea to let pets chew on them or ingest them.

i have a dog who is nuts about them too, but we have settled on a compromise of plain, untreated sheets of paper towel or kleenex that he likes to shred.