Dogomania

Paying attention

Malamum

This is probably a pretty obvious one but it only really dawned on me the other day so I thought I would share my observation with you all.

The closer you watch your dogs the better behaved they are likely to be.

I have been walking both Indy and Kira on my own a fair bit lately. When I’m out with them on my own we have great walks and they are really well behaved most of the time.

When both Michael and I walk them together their good behaviour seems to go out the window. They veer of the path to sniff everything, don’t seem to listen as much and in general just don’t seem to walk as nice.

After a few times of being stumped and saying I don’t know why they walk so much better when I’m on my own, I figured it out. When I am on my own I watch them so much more closely and for lack of anything else to do I talk to them while we are walking. When both Michael and I are there we get chatting and I don’t seem to focus on the dogs as much.

When I’m own my own I pay close attention to their body language and I can tell what they are about to do before they actually do it. That way all I need is give them a bit of verbal encouragement like “lets keep going” and a gentle tug on the leash and we keep walking smoothly. However when I have someone else with me and I get distracted chatting I sometimes don’t notice that they are about to veer off and sniff something until my arm and been pulled out its socket.

It seems really obvious now but I didn’t actually realise how closely I watch them until I wasn’t doing it.

that makes perfect sense. Children are the same way, they tend to behave better when they know you're watching them. How many moms have stumped their kids by walking in on them doing something bad (usually because it got too quiet all of a sudden) and the kids demand "how did you know?" and like me, most of the moms I know answer "I have eyes in the back of my head"...(I dont think that answer will ever die down). To which mine once replied, when he was older "yea, but they cant see through walls, can they?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: