Dogomania

Grrr...

bgb699

I live in a fairly small town, and in our small town we have a 'dog pound' where all the runaway dogs that get caught are sent to until their people come get them. Yesterday when I was in the area I stopped to take a look at a dog that was there cause I could hear him barking his head off. It was a beautiful black lab who had his head stuck thru a hole in the fencing. Now his head wasnt stuck, but the hole wasnt much bigger than his head and there was broken fence wires poking out that he can easily get hurt with, plus he was wearing a collar and Im concerned that the wire is going to get caught on his collar and choke him. Most of the 'kennels' are run down and holey like that. So Im very upset about the condition of this place and worried about the dogs that stay there, so I called the local humane society to inform them about this and the lady I talked to sure didnt seem very concerned about this and suggested I call our animal control/police dept and have them check it out. Well, its the weekend in a small town and guess what.. no ones around. Damn, I feel so powerless to be able to do anything until monday, and even then I have a feeling not much is going to change. If the humane society doesnt care whats going on, why should the police? Is there anyone else I can contact about this?

I probably would start with the pound itself when they open tomorrow, then if they are unresponsive I would go over their heads (is it a government entity, then city council, or county commissioners?) If money is the problem maybe they would accept some volunteer help or some kind of fundraiser ... maybe you could help with that?

Good luck, it's heartening to see someone who cares about the pound pups so much! :angel:

If it's a pound it could well be receiving govt. funding, in which case you can call the Mayor, the city council and the governor's office with your concerns if the pound itself wont help you. It may well be a matter of limited funding being available to repair the kennels. DO you have any friends, or are you yourself, any good with home repairs? That fence can be fixed fairly easily with chicken wire and chicken wire posts. as a workaround, not as permanent fencing, but at least the dogs head wont get stuck in it. Maybe start a fundraiser? There's a number of things you can do to try to help. And thanks for wanting to help!

:angel:

I agree with the others on calling the pound, and/or city govt. first, if you don't get anywhere with them call the newpaper or radio, people love special interest stories that tug at peoples heart strings !!
The Pound will sure do something if they come under the close scrutiny of a reporter digging around !! :wink: