Dogomania

How is your dog bred?

True_Pits

How is your dog bred?  

1. 1. How is your dog bred?

• Inbred (Tight breeding such as parent offspring, siblings or half siblings.)
    • Linebred (looser inbreeding such as cousins, uncle/neice, aunt/nephew, grandparent/grandchild)
    • Outcross (two are more bloodlines in a definate cross. Please include how each dog/line is bred such as an inbred dog crossed to a linebred dog, ect)
    • Scatterbred (No dogs of relation have been bred together. Of many differenent lines)
    • Inbred/Linebred scatterbreeding (scatterbred dogs that have been inbred/linebred. Such as a scatterbred male bred back to his daughter, ect)
    • Unkown (A dog of unknown lineage. The dog is void of a pedigree history. Because the breeder didn't supply paperwork, or the dog is a recuse/shelter dog, ect)

Right now my dog's breeding is "unknown", but it [i]could[/i] be known, I just don't want to looking for it right now while my dog is alive. I adopted her from IL, was told nothing except she came from a Vet's office and was unsocialized. They were careful not to reveal what she might be or where she came from. I highly suspect they know more about her than what they are telling me. I suspect she is part wolf, which would explain why the shelter wouldn't want me to know where she came from (wolf/dog mixes are illegal in IL). When she dies of old age, I will go looking for here REAL past. I could try to do that now, but I don't want to run into her original owners. I have heard horror stories about people who have run into their dog's previous owners and the previous owner wanted the new owner to give the dog back...

~Seij

where in Illinois Seij? That's my home stomping ground...and yes, wolf dogs are illegal here, although the vet suspected one of mine might have had some wolf in him, but looked the other way and treated him anyway.

I think they try to overlook the rules unless its obvious that the animal may have aggression issues with the wolf part. I have heard that you can have them here, but you have to buy a yearly "wild animal" license, and its pricey.

Theres a guy here not far from my house who owns siberian tigers.....

[quote name='True_Pits']Why/how you picked the dog you got. [/quote]

I have 3 papillons from a show breeder. The first I picked out of ignorance, and thought he was "cute." I love him to pieces and there will never be a dog that comes close to our bond, but he is a poor representation of the breed and has many health problems. (This was due to an outcrossing of the lines... that went horribly wrong and everyone realized it wasn't a good mix. lol) (However, for the breeders sake I will say both parents were nice dogs, health tested, temperament tested and more, the litter was just not what was expected.)

The second I got the pick of the litter and chose for "show quality." He's now successfully showing and is my baby more importantly.

The third I picked for my niece to show in Junior Showmanship. The puppy is turning out very nicely and will also be shown in regular conformation classes.

[quote]
How important was pedigree? Bloodline? Breeding?
[/quote]

For my first papillon, it didn't mean anything to me.

The second it meant a lot.

The third it didn't mean as much.

[quote]
How did you finally choose the breeder?
[/quote]

I had been actively searching for a show breeder with available puppies who temperament tested and health tested his breeding stock. Finally found one who was willing to part with a puppy, generous with knowledge, and loved his dogs.

[quote]
What drew you to the dog? Include any story/info about the dog you'd like. [/quote]

My first Papillon, Colby, was one of 2 in a litter. I got the first pick and in my ignorance decided to go for the flashier coloring. I didn't at the time know to check for temperament, or structure. Nearly 2 years later I am dealing with horrible luxating patellas (that have been operated on 2 times!), elbow problems, skin allergies and a fear of people (except of course me). Let me tell you, nothing in the world would ever make me part with this monstrosity of a pap. ;) He is the love of my life! :D

My second Papillon, Gabriel, was one out of 4 in a litter. I had more options with this litter, was smart enough to ask more questions, and saw both parents. Parents were both champions, had their health tests done, and their temperaments were fantastic. :) I picked the smaller out of the bunch, one with a really nice head and movement, and to my luck, he's turned out the nicest in the litter! He and I are now showing and having a ball on the weekends.

My third Papillon, Loki, was one out of 3 in a litter. The smaller female already was going to be used in their showing/breeding program. So, I picked the only male because he had what seemed to be the best temperament and was very sound. We're also showing him on the weekends. :) He absolutely loves it.

[quote name='courtnek']where in Illinois Seij? That's my home stomping ground...and yes, wolf dogs are illegal here, although the vet suspected one of mine might have had some wolf in him, but looked the other way and treated him anyway.
[/quote]

Near the Chicago area (Grand Ridge I think was the name of the town). I came from out-of-state to pick her up though, I do not live in IL. I contacted a few breeders I know of to see if they might have known her origins, was told she looked as though she might have come from a place called Youngwolf Kennels but I think the chances are slim, seeing that there are NUMEROUS other breeders out there capable of producing black-phase wolfdogs.

My vet also "suspected" (more like "was pretty sure") about the wolf thing, but he is the vet for the Wild Candid Survival and Research Center wich is is pretty handy, since he would be used to working with their Mexican wolves, Red wolves, and other candids.

~Seij

I have two dogs, both Staffordshire Bull Terriers, but I voted in the poll for my 2nd dog, as I would consider her a poster pup for "inbreeding is not such a bad thing" ;)

Tully is bred pretty tight... her parents were half-siblings, and [i]their[/i] parents were too, so she has just one grandfather (Ch Judael Both Barrels at Nozac, a Crufts winner) and one great-grandfather (Ch Rellim Black Ace, another big winning UK show dog)

I didn't actually know this when I got her, and it wasn't hugely important to me. I got her because the breeder offered her to me. I hadn't really been intending to add a dog at that point, but the breeder decided not to sell the pup to the owner she had lined up for her, and emailed me to ask if I wanted her. Turning down a puppy is hard. I took the pup. I did know the breeder to be a responsible breeder who health tests, etc. and I liked the look of her dogs. I knew her through email lists devoted to the breed is why she thought of me for the pup.

Does this girl look like inbreeding is slowing her down?

[img]http://www.brisbeethewhite.com/492644800.jpg[/img]

No temperament problems here:

[img]http://www.brisbeethewhite.com/490c2f5d0.jpg[/img]

(she is: UKC-Ch UAGII UWPCH UCD Daydream London Calling CD OA OAJ CGC)

She is the 2nd of my two dogs. My older dog, Elmo, I adopted through a private SBT rescuer. When I started buying my house, a friend started sending me emails about every SBT that came into rescue, and I dutifully inquired on all of them. Elmo's photos caught my attention immediately due to his (deceptively) sad expression, and his cute, mismatched ears. The rescuer thought he would do well for me as an obedience/agility dog, so I adopted him, though I'd never laid eyes on the actual dog. (he was in Michigan, I was in Oregon)

Some time after adopting him, his breeder actually contacted me and gave me his registration, so I do know his actual breeding. He is a line bred dog.

Line breeding doesn't seem to slow him down much, either:

[img]http://www.brisbeethewhite.com/4912ae3a0.jpg[/img]

No temperament problems here, either:

[img]http://elmothesbt.homestead.com/cartinbuddy3.jpg[/img]

(he is: UAGII UWPCH UCDX Yankeestaff Lickle Me Elmo CDX MX AXJ NAC NJC NJ CGC TT. Pictured at 8 yrs old)