Dogomania

gross habit

Baileysmom

OK, this is really gross, but its driving me crazy, so I have to ask :roll:
these foster puppies I have seem to have an obsession with eating eachothers poop! :o I have heard dogs love to eat cat poop, but this is getting ridiculous - if one of them starts to go the others rush over to eat it even before it hits the ground!! and theres 6 of them so it really hard to get them away!! have you guys heard of this? why would they do it??
they get plenty of food and even do it right after they have eaten, so they shouldnt be hungry! :x should I be concerned?

Coprophagia, yuck :eviltongue: !
Actually it's a pretty common thing, wild canids do it so their natural predators could not track them, but in your cute and cuddly housedog, it's kinda unnecessary :-? . Sometimes the solution is a simple as switching their diets, a high premium dry food will give them enough nutrients so they don't feel compelled to eat their waste. Home remedies are also popular (although how well they actually work I don't know), and include putting pineapple in their food, or MSG (meat tenderizer, like Adolph's) sprinkled on their kibble. It supposedly makes their stool really unpalatable. Or you can try and find an additive called Forbid, Foster's and Smith may sell it on their website. And be sure to be vigilant about picking it up immediately after they go, take away the opportunity altogether.

I know its a bit difficult to do but as soon as you see one to go eat it, grab the puppy away and deter him. It can become a rather obsessive disorder that they have likely learned if they weren't given enough food/lower quality in their very early days. Also adding pineapple or sprinking grapefruit directly onto the poo should deter them. :wink:

unfortunately the humane society provides their food - and they feed puppy chow :( I wish it was a matter of picking it up fast enough, but they are literally eating before it hits the ground :o yuck! I am pulling them away, but with 6 its nearly impossible..... it sounds like Ill jsut have to do my best to ahve them outside seperately and tough it out otherwise :wink: