Dogomania

APBT moms & dads: what are you feeding?

rednosemama

[quote name='Lada Daddy']I started my girls out on Nutro Max, and switched over to Pro Plan performance blend for the high fat content for my little monster. I have had VERY good results with it and it is MUCH less expensive than the "salon" dog foods.[/quote]

less expensive per bag or per actual daily feeding cost? lol :)

Per daily feeding...My older one gets 2.5 cups per day, and the younger one gets 3.5. I am getting 40lb bags for 23.95...Yes there is a lot of corn in it, BUT it also doesn't have any ash...which apparently my girls are allergic too!I Swear finding food for apbt's is difficult! Poor little sensitive stomachs...And all to save the carpet form dog explosions...LOL

I tried Solid Gold when I first got my pup, on their performance blend, when she was just about 9 months...Not only would she not eat it (I think she thought it was yucky or something) the fat content isn't high enough. Her optimum fat content in her food is 18-20% Proteins at 20-24...I do supplent occaisional Raw so I make up for it in some fashions, but supplementation on top of $45 dollars a bag for 40lbs, just isn't feasible...I agre however that Solid Gold is a superior food based on ingredients. I highly recommend it for anyone regardless of breed, IF the doggies will eat it...I guess mine have Beer taste on tap water budgets...LOL

Thanks for the stuff though, I do appreciate it!!

Oh and I grabbed my bag of Pro Plan...The first ten ingredients are in order:

Salmon, brewers rice, canola meal, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols, tuna meal, salmon meal, brewers dried yeast, "natural flavors", salt, potassium chloride

This particular blend has no corn at all. Hmmm...ProPlan Performance blend...WHere did you get the corn thing? Do they have different ingredients in different places? I am VERY interested about that...

[quote name='Lada Daddy']Oh and I grabbed my bag of Pro Plan...The first ten ingredients are in order:

Salmon, brewers rice, canola meal, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols, tuna meal, salmon meal, brewers dried yeast, "natural flavors", salt, potassium chloride

This particular blend has no corn at all. Hmmm...ProPlan Performance blend...WHere did you get the corn thing? Do they have different ingredients in different places? I am VERY interested about that...[/quote]

Ahhh...I quoted the ingredients on [i]this[/i] site:

[url]http://www.proplan.com/product_detail.aspx?pid=84[/url]

The Chicken and Rice formula is the only one they listed under performance blend. :

[quote]PRO PLAN DRY DOGFOOD- ADULT PERFORMANCE FORMULA

Feed to hardworking, pregnant or lactating dogs. With real chicken as the #1 ingredient, this Pro Plan

Oh wait...I [i]did[/i] find the ingredients you quoted....on the same site.

[url]http://www.proplan.com/product_detail.aspx?pid=91[/url]

It is listed as
'PRO PLAN DRY DOG FOOD- EXTRA CARE
SENSITIVE SKIN AND STOMACH FORMULA'

however it states that the protein is only 26% and the crude fat is 16%
is this the right one?

[quote]Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (Min) 26.0%
Crude Fat (Min) 16.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) 4.0%
Moisture (Max) 12.0%
Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.4%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.0%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.8%
Zinc (Zn) (Min) 180 mg/kg
Selenium (Se) (Min) 0.30 mg/kg
Vitamin A (Min) 15,000 IU/kg
Vitamin E (Min) 460 IU/kg
Ascorbic Acid** (Min) 70 mg/kg
** Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food
Nutrient Profiles

Ingredients:
Salmon, brewers rice, canola meal, oat meal, beef tallow
preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), tuna meal, salmon meal, brewers dried yeast, natural flavors, salt, potassium chloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ascorbic acid (source of Vitamin C), ferrous sulfate, riboflavin supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite. B-4449 [/quote]

[quote name='Lada Daddy']Yes there is a lot of corn in it, BUT it also doesn't have any ash[/quote]

every pet food has ash. ash is the residue you get when you burn a food sample under laboratory conditions - it's the anorganic portions that are left over, mostly from the bones. there is no such thing as an animal being allergic to ash.

the ash content of a food depends on two things: the overall meat content and the bone content of the food. a low ash content in a food is overall a good thing, since high ash levels stress the kidneys, but so does feeding poor quality, difficult to digest protein, such as from grains.

a low ash content in a food can be achieved by doing two things:

- in low quality pet foods, the meat content is kept low and cheap protein fillers (mostly gluten of some sort) are used to boost the protein content. the meat meals used in these foods are usually high in bone content and have less "real meat" in them. these poor quality foods have an actual meat content of as low as 12%, but generally under 30%. so essentially you are feeding a carnivorous animal a diet consisting of over 2/3rds grain.

- in high quality pet foods, top quality meat meals are used, made from meats that contain less bone matter, or even deboned meats. these foods have a high content of meat and gluten products are generally not needed to boost protein content. these foods usually have a meat content of 30-50%.

the sad thing about AAFCO labeling regulations is that every bag of food only shows the [b]crude[/b] fat and protein content, but this doesn't mean that this protein is actually digestible. so a top of the line food with 25% protein listed has more digfestible protein than a poor quality food that lists the same value. compare it to looking at a chunk of meat with bone and a cow hoof. both have a fairly high protein content, but the meat ranks much higher on the digestibility scale and has a much higher nutritional value.

the most obvious sign of feeding a high quality diet is the size of your dog's poop piles. the softer and bigger they are, the lower the food quality. of course the pet food industry has caught onto that and makes heavy use of "strool conditioners" like beet pulp, that make the poop drier and smaller artificially.

if you are interested in learning more facts on commercial dog food, have a look here:
[url]http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/[/url]

Holly corn bread batman...That doesn't sound good at all...LOL I don't eat that much corn...

I am not thrilled with the Purina thing either...We havea factory right by my work and you can always tell when they burn a batch...ewwww....But for the money, the performance and the palatability, I haven't found anything besides going to a full BARF diet they like as much...They loved getting Beneful at my mom's but I would kill myself before feeding that garbage to them...LOL

Good site though...REALLY good info on that one...HIGHLY recommended reading for everyone (ME included...Thanks!!!)

lada daddy, try the eagle pack performance or healthwise active dry. pretty good foods, clean, high quality ingredients.

i don't own pits but know some weight pulling people and also hobby mushers who swear by eagle performance for keeping weight on. :)

Those are the right ingredients, but my bag says Performance, and has different fat/protein ratios...Hmmm....More Purina nonesense?

TDG...THANK YOU!!! That is super informative and I will definitely look into that stuff. IT is SO hard finding the right combo's and getting it so the girls will eat it without having to supplement every meal with raw...

Again, AWESOME info and thanks again!

I feed Kirkland Lamb and Rice - it's a corn-free formula and my dogs do great on it. Beautiful soft, shiny coats . . . less waste in the yard, which means not as much bulk in the food. Best part is the cost: About $20 a 40lb bag. I've been real happy with it and have used it for years. Only bad thing about it is it can only be bought at Costco, which makes it a tad bit inconvenient at times - especially during busy schedule times . ..LOL