Dogomania

Dog owners in violation of tethering law....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[url]http://www.theneworleanschannel.com/news/3661028/detail.html[/url]

I didn't know there was a law on tethering!

NEW ORLEANS -- The Louisiana Humane Society is working to save the lives of several dogs suffering at the hands of their owners in the New Orleans area in general, and on the Westbank in particular.

The group recently has received reports of dogs chained up with short leashes and left without food or water.

"This is the chain Buster used to live on," said humane society spokesman Jeff Dorson, holding up a short length of chain. "(The dogs) become scenery. The only problem is, they suffer."

Dorson said the problem is especially bad in Algiers, where officials have found numerous cases of owners violating the tethering ordinance, which prohibits dogs from being chained up as a primary means of confinement.

"What we've found is an enormous amount of dogs are suffering a slow, painful death," Dorson said.

As a result, many dogs have had to have the chain surgically removed from their necks, as was the case with Buster.

Today, with stitches in his neck, Buster is making a comeback and soon will be ready for adoption.

Dorson said the humane society is urging people to be on the lookout for and report animal abuse in their neighborhoods. The number is (504) 366-8792.

Guest Anonymous

I think that's agreat law..
this weekend i saw 2 cocker spainel puppies probally not eve 3 months old.. on their leashed tied to a fence out in the yard all day sat and sunday.. it made me want to cry..

Fantastic, I don't think there is such a law here but there should be. :(

I see two small dogs chained up constantly in a large drive with massive gates on. :x The neighbour said they are never off the chains and never go anywhere. They live in a small makeshift kennel at the side of them. I feel so sorry for them. I asked the owner why they were chained when I delivered there, she said one of them had killed a gerbil. :o

God, she has the land to let them have a run around so why doesn't she. :evil:

I wonder if this applies to runners as well though....basically a metal wire strung between two surfaces, like a house and garage or garage and shed, about 5 feet off the ground, that you can attach a leash with a clip ring to. The dog has room to run around, mostly back and forth but if the leash is long enough from side to side too, and it doesnt have anything to get tangled on. I used one of those for my dog in my old townhouse, that had no fenced yard, and here when I was repairing the fence and moving it to a different location to make the yard bigger....

I wonder if they would consider that "tied out"? It's not quite the same, but still....I dont think runners are bad. For people who cant have fences, it allows the dog some running room on their own property. you have to watch them, of course, but still they can run and play....

Guest Anonymous

I think the issue isn't with using the tie outs for occasional exercise. It becomes a problem when all that dog know is the tie out.

I tie one of my dogs out when I can not be out side to watch her...but I'm usually standing at the kitchen sink watching her while doing dishes.