Dogomania

What are they teaching in school these days?!?!?

boosiebutt

I enrolled my 11-week old yorkie, Peanut, in puppy pee-school (officially Puppy Potty Training Program, put I like Pee-School better . :wink: ). He had his first day yesterday. He came home and I was playing with him on the floor, and he has started to mouth big time, I guess from playing with other dogs agan! I had just gotten him to quit, too. It's hard to do, because my Mom and sister will say "Ouch!" if he bites on them, but they don't jerk their hand away, so they just keep saying "Ouch, ouch, ouch..." while letting him chew away on their hands!

Does anyone have any other advice for stopping mouthing, other than Off/Ouch method, where you say Off if they start looking like they're going to attack your hand, or Ouch if they use their teeth?

Also, and this is the part I'm [i]really[/i] not happy with, while I was playing on the floor with him, Peanut mounted my arm and started humping. :-? Apparently something else he learned from the big kids at school. Any good advice for this either?

Other than that, Puppy Pee-School is going very well. When I called in to check up on him yesterday morning, he was playing with a big golden retriever. And apparently there's an older big dog that rests a lot on her blanket because of arthritis, and Peanut was sneaking up to curl up with her. Awwww! It's great for him to be able to get out and socialize with all those different kinds of dogs. Also, I'm going to enroll him in Puppy Kindergarten at the Community College here in town.

Hi! I love that you named a yorkie Peanut, that is perfect!
Our Elkhound mix was just an awful mouther as a puppy and the only thing that worked was to spray Bitter Apple directly in his mouth while saying "NO". Even at that it took a couple of weeks! :roll:
Humping is usually a dominance thing and once he gets the idea that you are "top dog" that will probably stop. I would just tell him no and walk away for a few minutes. Hope this helps, congrats on your new puppy!

Thanks for the advice! Now I just have to teach my Mom and sister that they need to pretend like it's really hurting them when Peanut nibbles on them. Those little teeth won't be so cute when his jaw gets a little stronger!

pyrless, thanks! We went through a ton of names once I had decided to get him, but when I said Peanut, everybody went for it! Peanut Buddy. I'm a total Mommy with him. I've been calling for checkups with him at Pee-School. Apparantly today he's been trying to play with a giant Kong! Even the little puppy Kong we have at home is too big for him, so it must be a kick to see him try to tackle one as big as he is!

It's a doggy-daycare, and they have a special program where they'll potty train, and crate train puppies. But they only take dogs for plain old daycare once they're a little older and neutered/spayed, unless they're in the program, then once they make it through the program, they can be in until they're 6 months, then they need to be fixed.

Here's the link to the place:

[url]http://www.dogzonedaycare.com/[/url]

It's great, 'cause like I said it gives him a chance to meet other dogs and people, he gets lots of playtime during the day, and there's people who get paid to follow him around and make sure he doesn't make a teeny yorkie potty.

It's in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. They actually have two of them here. My friend with a hound mix in Minneapolis goes to one, and she was praising them for "wearing down" her Maddie while she's at work. So, I looked up "Dog Daycare" on DexOnline (I don't know if everyone has Qwest for their phone company, but that's where I look up phone numbers and addresses online), and they had this place on there, then I searched for it on Google to find the web address. I checked out the website, then set up a meet and greet so I could check out the place, and they could check out to see if Peanut was aggressive, and see his vet records to check that he had all the shots he needed.

They have a nice big space in there for the dogs, and they keep the doors open to a gated area outside, so the dogs can go in and out to play and poop.

I bring some of Peanut's food in one of those Ziploc tupperware thingies, and they feed him lunch, and have him take a nap in his crate, and pay special attention to him, to give him lots of praise when he goes outside, and show him where the right place is to go if he starts to go inside.

Can you sense a wee(-wee) bit of enthusiam in me about this place? :wink:

It's great for my Mom too, because she takes it personally when Peanut goes in the house.

what a great place! it [i]is[/i] true about the training thing at home too, but at least you will be working with a puppy who is confident and socialized and i would imagine, more focused than one who has been alone all day... :D
puppies. they are waaayyyy to easy to spoil, aren't they! i can't even imagine with a teeny one like yours! we got our pyr Sasha at four months and thirty five pounds and I was still all "ooooooh, loook at my baaaaaaby!" :wink: