Dogomania

what size collar?

imported_nea

I found a collar I like that I want to buy Web. Its a Buckle On Nylon Martingale Collar. I don't have any experience with Martingale collars and I don't know how they're supposed to fit. I've seen similar ones, called "halv-stryp" (half-choke??) that are really loose and slip on and off the dog's head. Which I don't like, I prefer buckle type collars that stay pretty much in one place, and one of the reasons I want to buy this perticular collar is that I could buckle it like a normal one. But when they say the sizes maybe they mean it differnet from normal ones? I messured (sp?) Web's neck and its about 17 inches. The collar comes in both "fits necks 15''-18''" and "fits necks 17''-20''". Which is my best bet? :-?

:x How am I supposed to be able to decide when you all say different things? I asked for HELP, you know, not to be more confused then before I asked!!! :lol: :lol:

I've written the store an email, maybe they'll be able tell me what would fit best, since they know the collars best. :-? :)

I got a reply from the store, and it too was a bit vague (sp?). :-?

"Dear Nea,

How old is your dog?
If it is a young dog buy the larger 17"-20" collar so it can grow into it.
If it is a fully grown dog by the 15"-18" collar so it will fit right.

If you want to use the collar for training it must fit tightly.

We measure our collars from the center of the buckle to the first & last holes.
That way the collar size it the dog's neck size.

If you buy the larger collar for a puppy and want it to fit tighter you can
melt an extra hole in it with a nail heated on the stove untill red hot.

Sincerely, Munsell Schafer"

But I think I will go with the bigger one. I tried melting a hole in another collar I bought this summer that was WAY to big and it worked fine, so even if I need to make it smaller I can. If I were to buy the smaller collar I couldn't make it bigger. :)

I got 3 of those collars a few months ago (same place as well, I think they may be the only ones who sell those type). The measurement is while the collar is "at rest", like a normal collar, loop not pulled tight. So when you pull the loop, the collar will tighten further. If it helps any, Haley was 17" at the top of her neck (where I fit collars, since she, Goo, and Annie are all collar slippers), 18" at the bottom, so I got a 17-20, it's set on the middle hole (there are 5 holes I think). Goo is 15" at the top of her neck, 17 at the bottom, so I got the 15-18 size, it's set on the second-to-largest hole. I'd definitely go with the 17-20, even if it is a bit big, which I doubt, like you said, you can always add a hole.