Dogomania

Ticks.....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey Guys,

You have helped me before so here we go again....

We have a vet appointment and I am going to ask them as well...

My 3 1/2 month old lab got his 2nd tick yesterday. We are training him to be a inside dog. Which I am proud to say that we are going on 1 1/2 week of no accidents in the house.. :D anyways, we only go out to potty and play a little....we do most of our playing at the tennis courts at the high school across the street...because he is very interested in the road now...But I have also had 2 ticks on me...the were crawling loose on me...but I don't know what to do...do the flea and tick collars work? is there a spray that I can use on the yard or other treatment?

Please please please help!

Thanks!
Jessica

Guest Anonymous

Advantage or Frontline! I believe there are several others out there but those are the two I'm most familiar with.

They are once a month drops you place on the skin between the shoulder blades.

They should have it at your vets office.

Good luck

Frontline & Advantix are the 2 most common/popular one. It's a monthly drop that you put on your dog. Although it does not prevent ticks from going onto the dog, it will kill the ticks once they try to attach to the dog. In addition, I believe they also prevent fleas and stuff of that sort. Don't know if there are sprays that one can use in the yard to prevent ticks tho.

At the end, ticks is something one have to get use to with dog in the house. I was not so thrilled the first time when I found one on my dog, I was pretty disguested. Now I've snoopy for 5+ years, and it's no big deal, just another thing that I got use to alonge with picking poop strings out of her butt :wink: .

Ahh..the dreaded poop strings.

One of my Pit Bulls loses it when he gets one. Runs, looks behind him "What's that thing chasing me?? :o "

Pretty funny to see a big ole 90lb Pit Bull run from a little poop. :lol:

And he's learned to run over to me to help get the pesky thing off. If I'm lucky it falls off in transit. :lol:

Actually, most of the time-it's my fault. I have really long hair and obviously the dogs manage to swallow some of it sometimes.

I would definately spray the yard. Uh, Im not sure what products there are because, well, I dont have a dog so have never had the problem. If ticks got on you then I think your yard is FULL of ticks. Ive been plenty of places that had a lot of ticks and they never got on me.

If you find more ticks on your dog I would get them in a jar and ask the vet about them because they could carry disease. Deer ticks often have lyme disease, I think but then again Ive forgotten because I havent read up on it in a while. :wink:

I think frontline needs to be applied every 2 weeks for ticks - we've just come into a tick area and so I frontlined Montie the other day so he'd be safe for his holiday :D

I think you can buy something called Malaban or Malawash (depends where you live) to spray the yard with, I hear this is supposed to be pretty good 8)

Frontline, Advantix, get one from your vet. Kills fleas too.

On a bigger note, if you have deer in your area and get ticks alot, there is a big risk of Lyme disease. In advanced stages, its very painful and debillitating. There are places you can call that will spray your yard and try to kill off any tick infestation. I strongly suggest you look into it for your own safety.