Dogomania

i have 3 questions...

i got a basset hound 7 weeks old about 2 days ago..
1. i read that its normal for puppies to sleep alot is this true this one sure does...
2. i got him a harts flea coiler for puppies over 6 week old is there anyway it could hurt him..
3.when he lays around alot ..if i say hes name he just looks at me keeps on laying ..i took flea coiler of i thought was making him sick but he doesnt have signs throwing up or runs no sickness at all..just likes to sleep alot and lay around ..should i put it back on him?

now i know how basset are this one min wants to play next wants to sleep is this normal?

take the flea collar off the little guy and throw it away. and stay away from any hartz products, they have poisoned many pets. see [url]www.hartzvictims.org[/url].

see your vet and get some advantage flea prevention to put on him, it is much safer and gentler than a flea collar.

your puppy is very young to be away from its mother, i question any breeder who lets a puppy go to a new home before at least 8 weeks of age. in many states this is also illegal.

a puppy of that age is still very much a baby and will sleep a lot. you should provide a crate in a quiet place to which he can retreat whenever he wants. it will also make housetraining a lot easier for you.

Well, I took my pup home at 6.5 weeks and she turned out just fine. I have read that anywhere from 6-8 weeks is ok... with 8 weeks being ideal.

If you never had a puppy before, I highly reccommend the book, [u][b]Puppies for Dummies[/b][/u] by Sarah Hodgson.

Good luck with your new baby! (And YES... they sleep a LOT because their little bodies are developing rapidly)

Everyones pretty much said what needs to be said.

Its good your thinking about training but your puppy is still very young so dont worry about it too much yet.

And yes, that is a little bit too young to be away from mom. Weve discussed this in many old topics before and 8 weeks should be the age when theyre leaving their mom.

Good luck with everything though and if you need help ask us.

I agree that you should wait a little more to take that puppy from his mother, i got Lola when she was already an adult, but reading in Basset forums there's a lot of breeders that wait for 12 to 16 weeks to give a puppy.

Anyway he's at your home now, so you have to take spacial care of him, i have some texts of basset care but they're in spanish :-? so let me translate them and i'll post that info for you :)

*re-edited to add: Check out this site there's a lot of good vet info for bassets.

Ok, i did my best with this one. I have to recommend you to read the posts about feeding here in Dogo, you'll learn a lot from them :). I have to say i don't follow strictly the advices of this text, but a lot of info here is so usefull.

The Basset Hound is a short haired dog so it only requires a light daily brushing or on every third day, it could be done with a rubber glove so you can take away all the dead hair. The dog should be bath every 2 months, with a wet sponge all over its body. You must count with enough towels for this, remember our basset is a medium breed dog. Also you're gonna need a hairdryer.

You must use the indicated shampoo to bath your basset (indicated by your vet), there's a big variety of products. We can find some for dermatic problems, fleas, even with conditioner, remember at the end, the more cheap could be the more expensive.

Our second point are the ears, they are so delicated and a bad hygiene could cause the death of the ear cartilague with aesthetic and functional irreversible consequences. So you must develop the "cult" of the ear cleaning with a humid rag adding a little of alcohol or maybe some astringent lotion, you must do it every third day, and if you have a ring basset you must do it daily. This is so important due that our basset maintan its ears on the floor most of the time so they can carry a lot of dust causing the annoying otitis. Also this dust could be transported to the face, damaging the eyes of our dog.

Feeding: It's so important that if this is your first basset you'll be under the advice of your vet about how to feed your dog. Our Basset is that cheating dog that can convice us to give him food all the time with that sad face, so don't be fooled, the variation of the diet can bring on some major problems like gastric torsion, that always cause death. And all the problems that obesity can bring. Don't feed your basset with chicken bones, they can damage badly your dog's gastric system. Fish, tuna is preffered, water canned. Eggs, only the yolk.

Never give chocolate or candies they are so bad for your dog. Insted of them you can give him some of the large list of dog products that can be an incentive in training, also you can provide a dentabone or some chewing product that can help in your basset oral hygiene. In this topic is important to brush your basset's teeth, use a special dog tooth paste, you can find a lot of flavors for your dog, and use an electric tooth brush, it will be more easy toi do the job.

Behaviuor. Maybe a Basset Hound is not the best dog for an obedience competition, they have an independent character that make them look for adventure and track every smell they find, so is so important the early days with your dog. Go with an expert in training and take a course, you and your basset will have a lot of fun and you'll be prepared to deal with his huge personality. The Basset is a pack dog, they enjoy the company of humans, other dogs and even cats, so if this is your first dog and he is alone, be sure you're gonna have some behave problems, they can be very housebroken if you don't spend enough time with them, or just if you exclude them of your normal activities.

When you walk your basset keep him always with a leash, and if you let him loose in a secure space just keep your eye on him, they love to get into troubles following those interesting smells.

Enjoy your basset, you have in him a loyalty friend that is gonna give you a lot of smiles.

thx for replys guys hes going to see vet next week for shots and checkup ..this is his 9 week he was born on may 5 so i think he'll be ok he seems happy...he loves me alot ..i love him of course...

one more question at night sometimes he gets lonly"barks" i let him out on to my bed he goes right to sleep for a long time is this ok or will it spoil him..

Your basset is a pack dog, they love company and will be hard for him to be alone at night, not to mention he's still a baby. It's his socialization stage, he misses a lot his mother and brothers, so this is one of the consequences of taking a puppy this early. You have to be patient.